The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shedding Now?

My Wooly Mammoth. . .oops my TWH gelding has already started shedding. I know this begins in January, but this early? Plus he is shedding during some of the coldest weather we have had since last winter.

Ah well - time to groom with a closed mouth.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I seem to remember my yak pony started shedding about this time last year.

Hair coat is determined by daylight, not temperature. The days are getting longer, some horses will start to shed.

We should make this a sticky every December and June!

Well, thank the Lord for this thread!!!!!

About two weeks ago I noticed our Belgian draft's white blaze hairs were shedding....I told my son, in two weeks it'll be her chestnut body hair shedding....sure enough, today she started shedding out her body hair.....ALOT of it!!

Oh well, I told myself, she's a Belgian draft and so perhaps they just shed early....or something....since she always shed 3 weeks ahead of other horses at the barn we used to board at!!

But i was in for a real shocker.... Our 6 yr. old OTTB is shedding TOO!!!!!! He's just starting and he's not losing nearly as much ...YET.....as our drafty girl, but he is still shedding....

The Belgian is always an early shedder, but never THIS early....she started at the end of December.

This year they are living on the top of a mountain at an extremely high altitude, higher than the local ski resort, maybe the high altitude/sun's rays strength ratio is a factor....I dunno.

But it's nice to hear other horses are starting to shed also....I was thinking ours were just freaky.

Yep. Mine is shedding as well. Not gobs and gobs but a good sprinkling. Every year it makes me a bit anxious but I figure horses have shed this way for tens of thousands of years so mine will survive.

Rode a friend's horse today that was shedding like crazy!

Mine is shedding as well and a lot. However, she is in before night time and out after day light, so really not affected by the few extra minutes AND our temperatures have dipped in the last few days. Silly mare! She is the only one of the non blanketed horses who has started to shed!

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    She is the only one of the non blanketed horses who has started to shed!
    So, non blanketed horses are shedding already also??

hmmm....last year our ex BO yelled at us and told us that the reason Epona, the Belgian, was shedding so early is that we overblanketed her!

Sooo....if shedding is caused by the lengthening days, HOW can over blanketing cause them to shed??? Is the ex BO right or wrong?

QUOTE: Mah Navu

hmmm....last year our ex BO yelled at us and told us that the reason Epona, the Belgian, was shedding so early is that we overblanketed her!

Sooo....if shedding is caused by the lengthening days, HOW can over blanketing cause them to shed??? Is the ex BO right or wrong?

I understand studies have proven coat changes are tied to length of daylight. So the days are noticeable shorter in August and longer in January. IMO especially this year it seemed so much brighter the day after December 21st.

Based on both horse's coat in August I expected a much colder fall/winter - not so much. However now that it is finally cold, he is shedding. Ya' just can't win.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Yup. Gobs and gobs of hair coming out of all of mine ... I mean like a full spring shed already! Its crazy ...

We have been unseasonably mild though right through December and now except for one cold day/night in January, are heading towards + temperatures by this weekend. Instead of dealing with freezing cold day in and day out, we're dealing with muck and mud ...

Go figure ...

It can't. The ex BO is wrong. There are EVER so many more ignorant-but-convinced-they're-correct horse people than there are exceptions to the laws of nature.

All I can say is . . . YAY FOR SPRING!

Mine haven't started yet (blanketed or unblanketed ones)--typically the first week in February is when they begin.
    Click here before you buy.

Once daylight hits 9ish hours, shedding will start on any critter outside - horses, cows, etc, even your barn cat. Bad weather and a dark barn will stop it somewhat if the animals cannot get out but in normal lighting, it is perfectly normal.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I have a 28 year old appendix mare that grows a wooly coat that always starts shedding this time of year---I noticed she started about 2 days ago. Everyone else in the barn will probably go about another month before they start.

If shedding is a harbinger of spring, then the itchies are a harbinger of shedding! That's where we are right now. That, and white-face-marking shedding. Those two things are always first, and they have begun.

I enjoy looking at (and laughing at) how differently white hair grows and sheds. The pintos have 3D coats. But the funniest of all is when the white star or blaze is completely catawampus with the rest of the horse's face! I have a mare with a star that stands out like a little round brush when she has her winter coat -- and then the star hair falls out, all of a piece. Huh?!
    Last edited by JoZ; Jan. 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: There's a RIGHT way to spell catawampus -- who knew?!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Yes...the white face marking shed! Isn't it odd? My first horse had a narrow stripe, but it would shed and shed and shed MUCH heavier than the rest of his chestnut body. And the texture of the white hair was thicker/coarser....so strange! I always knew, though, that once his stripe started shedding I was only a few weeks away from the total body/handfuls of fur kind of shed.

My 24 this year old was shedding before the new year! The 12 and 19 month olds aren't, yet....

My black/white Shetland sheds her white hairs WEEKS ahead of the black ones. If my black/white pinto does the same, he's going to be one odd looking horse in a month or two, partially clipped, mostly white and randomly shedding 2/3 of his hair!
    Click here before you buy.

Blanketing will not cause a horse to shed, but it can affect how much and how quickly. The opposite is true in the summer when they start to grow their winter coat. A blanketed horse will not grow the thick coat that an unblanketed horse will. How do you think we keep halter horses looking so slick all year? It's a combination of lighting and blanketing. The longer daylight is what causes the shedding switch to flip on. We have to be careful when putting mares under lights to keep track of how much hair they are losing. Not only does longer daylight induce early estrus, it flips on the shedding switch too.

My 22 yr old TB started shedding mid-December - when days were getting shorter still... as did his 20 yr old pasture pal Arab. Oh well, at least the mess will be over with sooner than normal!

I've also notice for years the white hair thing. Does anyone know WHY?