The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Continuing having trouble with keeping footing in round pen.

I hoped that as the horses kicked up the footing that it would just make a small wall of dirt on the perimeter of my round pen. Well they just keep adding to it & wasting footing. Looks bad too. So now I'm putting the footing back into pen & want to put something around the bottom of it.
    I'm looking for old, used conveyor belting or something like that. I really don't want to go to the expense of wood but might have to.
    The small landscape, flower bed edging will not be tall enough.
    Any other ideas?? Help!
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

If price is not a big issue, AZEK makes a white plastic trim board that is 5/8" thick, 7 1/4" high. This product won't rot, bugs won't like it and it will happily bend around the inside of your round pen. It comes in 12 or 18 foot lengths and probably will cost you about $34 per 18 ft piece. Assuming that your Hanoverians are prescribing perfect 20 meter circles (as your round pen is), you will need at least 10 pieces. This material can be drilled and cable tied to your round pen legs. Capitol City Lumber has Azek; they are 25 miles away in Tallahassee. Otherwise you are looking for PVC white trim which is usually available at Home Depot but in 3/4 inch thickness and $40 per piece.

I used 2x6x12 pressure treated boards. I drilled holes in each end, laced them together with zip ties and they are on the inside of the round pen. After 5 years, they are still more or less in place, holding most of the sand/stone in place.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Thanks you 2. Both are great suggestions. I was afraid I'd have to do something like this. I was really wanting to try some old belting but just can't seem to find any. Years ago many people used it on stall floors.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

I would use landscape timbers. They're around $3 at most home improvement stores. I would cut them all in half and line the ring, then stack another layer on top offset from the first. Then I'd drive stake through the double layer into the ground to help anchor the whole thing.