The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What you thought you wanted v. what you bought

I was wondering how many times they actually matched up.

This time around I wanted a 16' 2 Appendix, 10-12 years old, gelding. I ended up with a 16 y.o.17'2 SOLID Irish Warmblood gelding (and he couldn't be any more perfect for me).

You?

Wanted a hunter, ended up with a jumper.
    Wanted lots of chrome, ended up with a brown/bay horse with 2 small socks.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

well...I actually didn't go in with much physical criteria for my first horse. Idealized childhood dream, I wanted a big black gelding. Or a pinto WB like TidyRabbit boys . Kind of definitely wanted a gelding though, since I thought I've always gotten along better with the boys.

Ended up with a bright bay mare, who has tiny white socks and a star and snip. Was not to thrown by the mare thing though, especially when I thought back to all my favorite horses who happened to all be mares!

Talent and riding wise though, she is EXACTLY what I wanted. There was a time when I wished she just a *smidge* less of a fireball, but now I know its because she was wishing I was a better rider and can actually be quite the lazy deadhead IF you're riding her correctly.

Last 3 purchases:

I wanted a nice C-line Holsteiner to do jumpers. Bought a 4 year old Appendix barrel horse on a gut feeling. Horse of a lifetime, saved many thousands!

Same shopping list, bought an OTTB I had ridden once before a few years previously, on a whim. Horse is great and canters up when I call (what more can you ask?), saved many thousands again!

Again, wanted a nice C-line Holsteiner. Bought a week-old Appendix off Facebook pictures. Love the little(big) guy, saved more thousands!

But I still want a nice C-line Holsteiner someday.....with all the "savings" above, maybe I'll actually buy one. If DH doesn't kill me first.

I wanted some sort of TB/draft cross, preferably bay with a star and a snip if I was going to get picky, but definitely solid and [i]not[i] a lot of white! 10-12, gelding, been there and done that. Ideal height would've been under 16hh.

What did I end up with?

A five year old, black and white (mostly white), spotted draft gelding pretty much entirely NOT under saddle, and 16.3hh!

Yeah, I'm not sure how that happened either.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Wanted a safe large pony or small horse for DD that she could do playdays and local shows on with a been there done that record. Got a 16yo QH mare that ropes both ends, pasture ropes and jumps. And goes around bareback in a halter and shank. Big difference when buying for the kiddos though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Requirements: At least 4 and going undersaddle. Not grey.

Bought: Coming 2 year old grey gelding.

He was the best horse I've ever had though!
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Wanted 8-10 year old paint/tbx gelding with show miles:bought 4 year old green broke solid liver chestnut draft cross mare!
    2 years in I'm still learning to work with her. has talent but attitude too!

Wanted a large pony project... ended up with a amazing horse. Glad it happened though, he's the best I could have asked for and has actually made me finally prefer horses over ponies

Wanted a 16.2 + (not grey) TB, probably OTTB. Wanted to spend less than 2k.

Ended up with a showbred 17.1h grey TB, who was about 4 times more expensive than I was planning on spending. oops. I love him though!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Wanted: Anything EXCEPT another dark bay OTTB gelding. I had sworn them off after several bad experiences. Also wanted something that was younger than 10 and a heavier breed.

Bought: A beanpole 12yo OTTB gelding who often gets mistaken for a 2yo because he's so lanky, leggy. He's dark bay with one white sock and two ankles with a splash of a snip on his nose. He is also my heart horse. I will own him until he leaves the earth.

Was looking for a 3-4 yo, under saddle, w-t-c.

Looked for 2 years.

Bought a long yearling.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Was looking for an OTTB or light WB with lots of blood, preferably 5 or so, jumping small courses, and not dark bay/black (have 3 of that flavor in our barn...).

Fell into my lap- 7yo Perch/QH mare, green and very Perchy to look at, but OMG can she jump and cut daisies! And yes, she is dark bay/black with a star.

Thought I was going to be looking for an OTTB.

Bought a weanling SF x ISH.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Was looking for a 4-6 y.o., 16-17h. OTTB or an appendix to do dressage and/or hunters with. Preferred something dark bay or liver chestnut with at least a couple of socks and a blaze/star. In my perfect dream world, it would have been a buckskin, but how many of THOSE do you find for a beer budget that are actually NICE?

What did I end up with? A super athletic, 5 y.o., 16.2h, buckskin QH/WBx with a big blaze and three socks who should be able to do anything I ever want him to. He has a GREAT mind and is the most perfect horse in the world for me. Oddly enough, he is close to being the exact kind of horse I might have gotten if I had decided to go through with breeding my little buckskin mare. So I got my dream horse for much less than a stud fee, vet bills, etc. involved in breeding, and I gave a nice horse a pretty good home. Win win.

Wasn't looking for a horse AT ALL.

Bought a 5 yo, 151h HOT Conn x TB mare.

Still NOT looking for a horse.

Bought a yearling TB colt (later gelding)
    Janet

First horse:

Wanted a 6 y/o, 16.2hh, dark bay TB gelding with minimal white that loved to jump.

Bought a 6 y/o, 16.2hh, dark bay TB gelding with a tiny star that loved to jump.

Second horse:

Wanted a project, preferably a 6 y/o, 16.2hh, dark bay TB gelding with minimal white that loved to jump.

Took in an ASPCA rescued 10 y/o, 15hh, dark bay grade pony with no white that learned to jump and event.

Third horse:

Wanted a 6 y/o, 16.2hh, dark bay TB gelding with minimal white that loved to jump.

Was given a 5 y/o, 16.3hh, dark bay TB gelding with snip and two short socks that had neurological issues that ended in a self-inflicted fatal injury.

Fourth horse:

Fell in love with a 9 y/o, 15.3hh, buckskin Appendix Paint gelding with high whites that is learning to jump.

hmm....
    Last edited by costco_muffins; Jan. 4, 2012 at 06:03 PM.

First horse as a young teen - wanted a bay morgan gelding. Got a chestnut OTTB mare. Boy did she teach me a lot!

Always wanted a seal brown with no chrome TB or warmblood - elegant....No grays/white after having had a one-spot white appy/lipizzan cross

I did get exactly what I wanted once I realized that temperament was my main goal - I have a 17+h Irish Draught who is just about white at 10 years old. I got him as a chestnut weanling and he turned gray then white. He is just the best horse for me. I have been blessed with 2 "forever" horses (RIP my sweet Casper) and this guy is one!

I also thought I wanted a true hunter to do HITS with, but I am finding that we love doing Dressagem so am dabbling in that at the moment.

Here is my not-so-expected fellow:
    http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...1/SANY0036.jpg
    Last edited by witherbee; Jan. 4, 2012 at 04:42 PM.

The best horses have found me, despite whatever "criteria" I had in mind or what I thought I wanted.

The one horse I bought as an adult, that fit my "wish list" turned out to be a hot mess.... and I was very happy to see that horse head down the driveway on a trailer when I finally sold him 2 years after buying him. In my defense, I did put a fair amount of work into him and he got an upgrade when I sold, so I no harm no foul.

Current horse... I wanted something smaller, sturdy, safe, sane. Forward going but not spooky. My vet pointed me in the direction of a Morgan breeder a few hours away. I went looking for a broke gelding aged 4-6, 15-15.2hh. Came home with an unbroke mare aged 4 and 14.2hh.

She's going to be a superb little horse, jury is still out on whether it will be for me or someone else. Regardless, she's a good little girl and has come along nicely thus far.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.