The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question educate me on my new girl's pedigree please?

So, after a long search, last month I finally bought a new horse and I would be very interested to learn more about her breeding. (Also, her JC papers came with a Breeder’s Cup nomination stapled to them, what exactly does that mean? I know the races are huge, but my girl’s race record is a bit underwhelming…)

http://www.pedigreequery.com/pretty+gritty

I’ve been nosing around the old pedigree threads, and found a little bit about her dam line, but I would love to hear more! Thanks in advance!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

You have to be nominated to run in the BC. It's cheaper to just nominate as a foal (around $500), in case the horse turns out to be something special, instead of nominating later when the horse proves to be BC worthy (a non-nominated horse out of a non-nominated stallion costs $200,000 to nominate).

http://breederscup.com/content.aspx?id=26323

As for the pedigree, I just looked really quick. Her dam is a full sister to Tough Broad, who produced the G1 winner, Richard's Kid.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/richards+kid
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Cool! Thanks for the info HarvestMoon.

I don't claim to be a Thoroughbred breeding expert by any means, but I have worked with a couple of Sandpit babies at various stages in their careers after the track. Nice horses, good minds, and nice, solid build. And he seems to throw pretty redheads, in my experience.

Your mare sold at Keeneland for $13,000 as a weanling and $25,000 as a yearling:
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/auctions-t...=&HipStatusId=

Keeneland does not have catalog pages online that far back, but you can find pages for some of her younger siblings there. Go to keeneland.com and hit the tab for auctions.

Sandpit was a strikingly attractive chestnut and a very high-class racehorse, with 40 starts, 14 wins, 17 placings, and earnings of $3.7 million. He was a G1 winner at 2 and champion 3yo in Brazil, and a multiple Grade 1 winner on the turf in North America. He was durable too, winning a G2 and placing in the Dubai World Cup and 4 US G1s as an 8-year-old.

He stood at Vinery Stud in Kentucky for a while, you could email them and see if they have a photo.

Most commercial breeders routinely nominate all or most of their foals to the Breeders' Cup as a sales incentive.
    Last edited by ejm; Jan. 4, 2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: add information on Breeders' Cup nominations

Thank you all! Very interesting to learn more about Sandpit, and wow was he a good looking horse! (although I didn't get a redhead, I do have a gorgeous bright bay!)

Broad Brush! Good sire for solid, sound types and son of another sire like that--they say Ack Ack got the iron-horse thing from Armageddon. Broad Brush also gives you Turn-to, popular name for sport blood. I always say, if I were buying a mare for breeding I'd really want one with Broad Brush.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Broad Brush! Good sire for solid, sound types and son of another sire like that--they say Ack Ack got the iron-horse thing from Armageddon. Broad Brush also gives you Turn-to, popular name for sport blood. I always say, if I were buying a mare for breeding I'd really want one with Broad Brush.
    This. That dam line is SUPERB for a sport horse! Sandpit is not one I was familiar with either, so I learned something today too, OP!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I have kept my eyes open for a Sandpit mare for years with no luck! He died after only a few years at stud, which is quite a shame.

When I saw him at the Vinery after he retired he looked like a gorgeous show horse, and had a spectacular temperament to boot.

I also like Hoist the Flag, Damascus and Bold Ruler on the dam's side! If you ever decide you don't want her, please keep me in mind!

Wow! Thanks everyone! I am so excited about this mare. I knew I liked her from the moment I saw her move, and I think we're going to have tons of fun with eventing/dressage. She definitely is a lot of horse, good sized at 16.2hh and smart too (an excellent combination in a TB mare!? I must be crazy, haha).

I'm just pleased as punch with this girl

West Awake Bloodstock has her sister, Gone Abroad, for sale on their website for $4,000, for those of you interested in a mare with Broad Brush lines. I don't know if the page/price/sale is still current.

Pretty Gritty's siblings:
    -Special Love, broodmare, in Texas.
    -Broad Sweep, gelding, rehomed through New Vocations.
    -Gone Abroad, broodmare, listed on website above (I think she's in New Jersey?)
    -Shansey, recent broodmare, sent to Haras La Lechuza in Venezuela.
    -Arnie's Pick, gelding, was being used in 2009 as a foxhunter, listed in a relay race with the Howard County-Iron Bridge Hounds team, and owned by Full Cry Stables. I don't know where he is now.
    -Final Prospector, gelding, last raced in New Mexico under owner Raymond E. Ervin. May have been sent to slaughter. (If anyone knows otherwise, I would love to know).

Broad Account (Pretty Gritty's dam) is a full sister to Tough Broad, dam of Champion Richard's Kid (2-time winner of the Pacific Classic and other stakes races) and his full brother, Eagle Beagle, a very good hurdler in the claiming ranks with 11 wins in 41 races.

Broad Account's two full brothers were also successful at racing or hurdling: Big Brush was a hurdler who set a course record at Fair Hill in 2002. I would love to know what happened to him. Broad Choice was a stakes-placed gelding who won over $160,000.

More distant in relation is Good Night Shirt, the Eclipse Award winning Steeplechaser, two years in a row. Of course there are other famous and accomplished Broad Brush horses, including (no pun) his sons, Concern and Include, and recently, Blind Luck, granddaughter of Best of Luck, a Broad Brush son. Reines-de-course and Chef-de-race webpages have really interesting stuff about Broad Brush and the Domino line.

For fun, check out the best horse races on youtube with two of Broad Account's half siblings (yes I know they don't use that terminology in horse racing, but genetically they are): Concern winning the Arkansas Derby, and the Japanese race with Broad Appeal. I don't have the links handy but just search on Youtube. Be patient with the Broad Appeal video because it's all in Japanese, but it will become clear as the race progresses.

Congratulations on your new horse.

I love to see ACK ACK and also like th Green Dancer in your mare's pedigree. Good sport horse lines IMO. Congratulations!