The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Contour HD Helmet Cam users- laser question? (And my first helmet cam video for fun)

My laser aiming device doesn't seem to work- any hints?

Greenie Schooling Helmet Cam

I think you have to set p in dark room. What did you use for strap?

I was able to see mine at dusk on the area floor.

When I set it up at the HTs I could not see it.

Too bad, all of my videos have been crooked.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I actually found the laser pretty minimally useful. It really is trial and error to get the right degree of tilt, not too much sky, not too much earth. Do some trial runs with your helmet on over some jumps. I have not worked with the headband, I have had good luck with the sticky disc mount after first sanding the helmet shell smooth. It's been very solid and stable. Of course, I had to cut a small hole in my helmet cover but so far that system has worked for me. Good luck, can't wait for the video!

Default Action!

From what I could tell, you are not that far off from good framing. Perhaps a touch up angle (just a couple of degrees). I prefer to view a little more ground then sky and as long as you got the further distance near the top of the screen the viewer can see where you are going next.

RB make a good suggestion, run short takes, adjust the position and note each one (even verbally); something like one minute shots. You'll find the spot you like, but will have a record of alternate positions in case you want to change the view.

I was hoping to get a helmet cam for Christmas, I passed on the special offered on the forum...Oh well. The contour is my selection, I like the gps version (because I'm a geek, love numbers, and data), and look to have one before my first HT this coming season.

Looking forward to seeing you guys in action on course soon (btw, super jealous of that arena. My practice area (pasture) is now more like frozen tundra and last summer, hard packed concrete. I dream of the day I can have an arena like that

Ok, good to know the lasers don't really matter- I just didn't want a faulty camera! HA!

The headband doesn't give you a ton of options, but I'm surprised how secure it is. I think I'm going to use the actual mount in my XC helmet for shows for security, but I do like have the option to bounce it around on my schooling helmets with the headband mount.

Thanks for the arena compliments. We just opened ours in April and it's changed my life. I loff it. Seriously- I do this full time and I don't have to give up nearly as many days for the rain.

The horse in the video, Storm, is probably a long way off from showing. He's a training horse and is SO sweet, but not always the quickest learner. I'm just enjoying playing with him right now and I'm hoping his owner will get a kick out of the helmet cam!

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post

The headband doesn't give you a ton of options, but I'm surprised how secure it is. I think I'm going to use the actual mount in my XC helmet for shows for security, but I do like have the option to bounce it around on my schooling helmets with the headband mount.
    I wonder what we could do to make the headband secure enough for xc. I was really hoping to share with friends at events, so obviously the permanent mount won't work. Maybe attaching some kind of tacky material to the inside of the strap? Hmmm. Maybe I should let my engineer friends play with it

I agree that the laser pointers are basically useless. You really just have to use old-fashioned trial and error. The sticky mounts are really durable but are NOT adjustable, if the angle is wrong you peel it off and start over.

I just attached the rotating mount and am really excited to try it. You can adjust the angle without redoing the entire mount.

FWIW, I thought the angle of your footage was good. Not too much sky, not too much ground. Looking forward to more!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/