The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

She's so fantastic - I want to be riding at that age, but will have to do without the groom. That family are all true horselovers and do it all. Love her.

Quote Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
    It's a good thing she didn't trip over the murder victim found New Year's Day at Sandringham.

StG

No kidding! It a scene right out of a Dick Francis mystery!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I love how it appears her entire saddle is fleece-covered. I want one of those!
    Horse Country or www.horsecountrycarrot.com They have them in a couple of different colors and are absolutely scrumptious!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I wonder how often the Queen actually rides.

I remember seeing pictures of her riding with a couple of her grandchildren last Easter, I think. Does she pretty much only ride on holidays, or does she ride a lot, but they just release the riding pictures for holidays?

She looks amazing. She obviously has a hard working group of employees at her stable too, the horses look wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    QEII never wears a hat, just the scarf. Why in the world is the groom wearing a hunt cap?

Anyone know what horse she's riding? It has lovely drafty feathers.
    Fell or Dales pony.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    Highlands....she's bred then there for about 30-40 years...

Tamara
    That's not a Highland, Tamara!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Hope I am still riding at her age!!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Fell or Dales pony.
    That's not a Highland, Tamara!

sorry you are correct, I thought "Fell" and wrote "Highland"...I have often wished to have both here in TN...

mea culpa

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

HM has always ridden this way...this is the common way to ride in England and is it considered (kinda) uneducated to ride otherwise...children are taught from tiny things to use them

Tamara
    I was born and brought up in the UK and never rode with more than a single rein, so not convinced. Interesting what gaitedincali says though. Then again, QE is a very accomplished rider.

sorry you are correct, I thought "Fell" and wrote "Highland"...I have often wished to have both here in TN...

mea culpa

Tamara
    No problem! All of them are damn cute.

I think riding in a double is very 'old school'.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    That's how I was first taught, all my lessons were in double reins. I only started single rein as an adult. And 20 hrs ago in the Arab show ring under saddle hunters were in double reins as well. I don't know what the rules are now.
    Me too! Although not true "double bridles", but Pelhams. And we were taught the proper way to use them. Once you learn how to properly ride with a Pelham, riding with snaffle bits is a breeze, & you're much more sensitive to the nuances of the bit. I'm so thankful to have been taught that way.

It's wonderful to see her having the time to enjoy her horses, and the energy and good health to do so.

She was riding a Dales pony at Easter. I wonder if this is the same one?

Her horse is clipped the same way my two are, full body with legs. Makes 'em look like they're wearing stockings.

GMA had a brief video of her ride this morning. Might be posted on their site if anyone is interested.
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I wonder how often the Queen actually rides.

I remember seeing pictures of her riding with a couple of her grandchildren last Easter, I think. Does she pretty much only ride on holidays, or does she ride a lot, but they just release the riding pictures for holidays?
    I think it's been said HM doesn't ride as often as she used to, for example not riding aside to inspect the Household Cavalry anymore, but then she is getting older!

(So even the Daily Mail is now run by helmet Nazis? I figure she probably thinks she's the Queen of England, she's eighty-five, if she wants to ride without a helmet she's going to ride without a helmet...)

I really hope I am riding at her age! - I plan to, or at least I will have a barn full of driving minis!

That said, I have just been reading the thread "Best Line Ever - Teacher To Student" And I JUST CAN'T HELP IT... I sooo want to quote some of the funny stuff written there. One in particular!

I am so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartsongHorses View Post
    I really hope I am riding at her age! - I plan to, or at least I will have a barn full of driving minis!
    I know there were pictures somewhere within the last year of Prince Philip, the Queen's husband, driving at the age of 90. And it didn't look like he was going for a slow stroll, either!

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I know there were pictures somewhere within the last year of Prince Philip, the Queen's husband, driving at the age of 90. And it didn't look like he was going for a slow stroll, either!
    The picture is a bit older (2005), but this article is on a "carriage driving injury" sustained in 2010, so he was driving at least into last year.

I hope I'm still riding at the Queen's age. She's got a lovely pony, and the fleece saddle (cover?) looks perfect for a cold winter day.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartsongHorses View Post
    That said, I have just been reading the thread "Best Line Ever - Teacher To Student" And I JUST CAN'T HELP IT... I sooo want to quote some of the funny stuff written there. One in particular!

I am so bad.

"TITS UP YOUR MAJESTY. TITS UP!!!"

Here is the article from last spring. There is a picture of the Queen riding with her grandchildren, and Prince Philip driving at the age of 90.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-children.html