The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Made that call today

That dreaded, horrible call to the vet's office that it's time to come say goodbye to a horse. I knew it was coming, but had a breakdown after I hung up the phone and the appointment was made.

Jett is a beautiful 10 year old Quarter Horse. I bought him as a yearling from a feedlot. He was so handsome but had a crappy attitude. He tried to kick me every chance he had. Finally, one day he backed down the length of his pen and fired away catching me on the arm. I had a rake in my hand and whapped him good on the butt for a few seconds. I stopped. He gave me a surprised look and never lifted another leg to kick.

From that point on we had a great relationship. I sent him to be broke at three and he did OK, but the trainer thought he needed some more maturing. I gave him another year and at age 4 he went to another trainer. He was fabulous. The kind of horse experienced riders love. He had a great work ethic and intelligence and athleticism.

That's why I made the decision to sell him a short time later. I had health issues and had quit riding. This wonderful horse was wasting away in my pasture. The first buyer to come see him snapped him up. I was happy with his new home and said goodbye.

It was a year or so later that I was thinking about him a lot. I sent an email to the buyer for an update. He was very happy that I contacted him because he lost my information to get in touch with me. Jett had a catastrophic injury to a rear tendon that resulted in two surgeries. He was permanently lame and could never be ridden again. And he wanted to know if I wanted him back.

Of course I said yes. I never want any of my horses to end up in a bad place. That's my biggest nightmare. We took him back knowing that he was living on borrowed time. I explained to my husband that horses really need all four legs to survive well and that some day his good rear leg would not be able to support his weight any more.

Long story short, that time has come. I hate that this awesome horse had too short of a life. But I am grateful that I will be there to stroke his beautiful face as he crosses the bridge.

No point to this post but to tell some folks that get it and understand. Thanks for listening.
    "Crazy is just another point of view" Sonia Dada

www.longhopes.org

I get it, sorry all I can do for you is send a cyber hug...but consider yourself hugged!

Godspeed Jett. Lovely story to share. Hugs and best wishes.

HHHUUUGGGSSS
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Yes, we understand. Here.

Many hugs to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Many hugs from us as well.
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Goodness gracious this horse is blessed to have had you in his life, you are doing right by him. ((Hugs)) on having to ease him out his pain.

Quote Originally Posted by charlo View Post
    I get it, sorry all I can do for you is send a cyber hug...but consider yourself hugged!
    Echoing!
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

So very sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you. That is one lucky horse to have you in his life. Best wishes.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

What a wonderful, responsible, caring owner you are. If only all horses had someone like you as an owner. Hugs, while going through this difficult time.

I'm glad that you two were able to be reunited and enjoy Jett's last years together.

I just had to make a similar decision for my horse recently because of sequential tendon and ligament injuries, so your story hits a chord with me. It's never easy for us, but freeing them from their pain is the kindest act we can provide to the animals in our stewardship.

You and Jett will be in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry for what you are going through.

Quote Originally Posted by rosijet View Post
    T I bought him as a yearling from a feedlot.
    He had 10 great years because of you. You made a difference. The decisions you've made for him have always been right. This one too.

Thanks for taking such good care of him.
    --o0o--

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    Goodness gracious this horse is blessed to have had you in his life, you are doing right by him. ((Hugs)) on having to ease him out his pain.
    Definitely. So sorry you must lose him, but blessings on you for your kindness and caring.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    What a wonderful, responsible, caring owner you are. If only all horses had someone like you as an owner. Hugs, while going through this difficult time.
    This, exactly. He is a most fortunate gelding to have you, and to have had you. And if ever there was a group of people that get it, it's your fellow COTHers.

Hugs and boxes of tissue your way.
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

I admire your courage. I'll be facing the same situation relatively soon and I don't know how I can/will handle it. Hugs...

The world is a better place having you in it. Your post brought tears to my eyes. I am so sorry that you have to endure the pain, but rest assured that you are doing the right thing and have done so all these years.

My thoughts are with the two of you.

You are doing the best thing for your beloved Jett. Godspeed to him and hugs to you.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Ditto
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

I am so sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.