The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does your barn have a quarantine rule?

As in, are new horses kept entirely separate from the existing boarders and if so, for how long?

Also, as a boarder, what would you do if this rule was suddenly "bent" for a new boarder and now your horse has a runny nose?

Just askin'

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Yes. 3 weeks quarantine, totally separate from other horses.

If my horse had a snotty nose now, due to violation of quarantine, I'd have a polite, respectful, professional conversation with the barn manager/owner.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

If my horse had a snotty nose now, due to violation of quarantine, I'd have a polite, respectful, professional conversation with the barn manager/owner.
    And then present them with the vet bill.
    And slap them.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quarantine was part of the "settling in" period. In separate field, where they could see the new herd. However, sometimes it was only for a week, so not a true quarantine period. Coggins always required ( stupid iPad corrected the Coggins to "coffins", which is kind of funny) as it is required for shipping ( with a professional shipper). Not that I hold a lot of faith in a Coggins, given it's valid for 30 days...

Coggins are good for 3 months health certs are 30 days.... As for a quarantine my barn just requires a coggins and if an international horse health certs.
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

Quote Originally Posted by Nojacketrequired View Post
    As in, are new horses kept entirely separate from the existing boarders and if so, for how long?
    No. Any barn I've boarded at or had a training horse has not had any quarantine policy. Most have also had show horses coming and going regularly. Quarantine is very difficult to do correctly.

Also, as a boarder, what would you do if this rule was suddenly "bent" for a new boarder and now your horse has a runny nose?

Just askin'

NJR
    Is the horse in question sick? If not it could be just be crappy luck. If it were strangles, I'd be pretty ticked off. Most anything else, well, crap happens.

Quarantine can be very expensive to do properly. Infectious agents can settle onto worker's clothing, hair and skin and live there for days (or until they wash). So either those horses can only be dealt with last thing in the day after all the other horses are cared for, or barn workers need to shower, or they need to be in bio-suits.

And any horse that doesn't spook when the people in white suits come to clean their stall has something wrong with them .

Otherwise you're just wasting everyone's time, so I have yet to go to any barn that even bothers.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

It is very difficult to do a true quarantine. Few barns have the facilities or staff for this. It is also very expensive. Since most farms have horses coming and going to shows, clinics, group trail rides, the vet clinic, etc., it really isn't logical to treat the horse coming from another barn terribly differently than a horse that is returning from a show where it has been exposed to horses from all over the state or country.

Now, a vet could comment on this more intelligently, but to be effective, a quarantine has to be for a pretty long period. For example, what if the new horse was exposed to an illness while it shared a van during the move? Some diseases can take a couple of weeks to show symptoms. Seriously, would you have your barn keep every horse that goes to a show, clinic or trail ride or has newly arrived at the farm isolated for 2-3 weeks?

Some farms do a sort of semi-quarantine with new arrivals where the horses are initially not stabled next to another horse and are turned out separately, but still cared for by the same caretakers, live in the same barn, share the public areas of the barn (washstalls, arenas, aisles) and are well within range for the spread of airborne droplets. While it might lessen the amount of exposure to not have the horses in direct contact, it certainly is not an true quarantine. If a new horse brought in a respiratory disease, such a quarantine would most likely NOT make a difference as to whether or not the other horses got sick.

So, the answer to the OP's second question is "nothing." Unless your contract states that there won't be other horses coming and going and that horses can't leave the farm for outside events, your horse is boarded at a typical boarding barn that has horses coming and going and communicable diseases are an unavoidable risk. Good grief, just be glad your horse doesn't have strangles.

Of course, make sure your horse is appropriately vaccinated.

Good grief, just be glad your horse doesn't have strangles.
    Just a snotty nose so far, but that's how it starts isn't it, so yes, I'll be glad when I find out for sure my horse doesn't have Strangles.

Thanks for comments, everyone.

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

When I use to board at Quantico Marine Base in Virginia we had a 1 week quar.

Since this is a military base horses would come in and out (when we had room) It was completely sep from the other horses and you were not allowed in the barn/wash rack or in the arena at the same time as boarders.

They wouldn't allow horses in the barn at show also.

Small paddock that has 2 stalls that could be left open for run ins.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Nope, never been in a barn that had quarantine. Barns around here don't require any health cert and for the last like 5-6 years don't require coggins either. (spruce is the one show around here that require coggins and they just shortened it from needing a new one every 12 months to every 6 months)

Well, I do hope your horse doesn't have strangles! But, to effectively quarantine specifically for strangles, the horse would need to be in a separate barn, cared for by a separate worker using separate equipment, with private t/o well away from other horses, for three weeks. Again, since a horse could pick up strangles from exposure to any outside horse, to be fair your BO would have to follow this quarantine procedure for any horse that went off the farm and was in contact with outside horses. This might be a realistic practice for barns with totally closed herds, but for a farm that has any traffic of horses to outside shows, etc. this is not a realistic practice.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I did board at a barn that had a separate quarantine barn for sale horses coming from Europe - which made little sense as those horses had to be quarantined on arrival at JFK or ORD.
    They spent their 1st month there, but were handled by the same workers so, in effect, not a true quarantine.

New boarders were not segregated, but did need to present a health certificate & Coggins.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I have never boarded at a barn with a quarantine policy. All barns I have boarded at had horses coming and going pretty constantly (shows, trail rides, coming in for lessons, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Credosporthorses View Post
    Coggins are good for 3 months health certs are 30 days.... As for a quarantine my barn just requires a coggins and if an international horse health certs.
    How long a negative coggins is good for is dependent on the state.

I'm fortunate in this respect to be at a private, self-care farm. The managers/land owenrs aren't "horsey" so I wrote the contract, which included the quarantine, coggins & health certificate clause. We have a separate paddock off the back of the barn. The new horse lives there during that time, with everything separate unto that horse itself.

And, yes, it did save the existing 3 horses from exposure to the curd when a new colt came in from Kansas
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I've never boarded at a barn with a quarantine policy. These barns all had horses going to shows/clinics fairly regularly. I just vaccinate my horse and then don't worry about it too much.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

OP, hopefully your horse is just dealing with a simple cold. I had a student/boarder take her horse to the high school equestrian team state finals for four days and he horse brought home a cold. And of course, the cold couldn't run through the herd at the same time, it had to drag on and some horses got it a full three weeks after the initial onset. It was a PITA, but really nothing more than runny noses and a cough. The vet was out twice because a couple of my boarders were convinced that their horses might die but alas, everyone survived and my vet is currently putting his two children through college over...the common cold.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be concerned or worried - our horses are our kids!! I get that, but as many here have pointed out, to do a quarantine CORRECTLY is almost impossible for the average boarding facility. You have to rely on a) you as the owner taking every precaution to keep your horses up to date on vaccinations, and b) your boarding barn for practicing good herdsmanship. And frankly, making sure a new horse has vaccs. and Coggins before it comes in is about as good as you can do.
    Come to the darkside...we have cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nojacketrequired View Post
    4 weeks. This is at a barn with 120+ horses, with new ones coming in from all sorts of places -- big ranch sales, show barns, individual's barns , etc.

A coggins and health papers are required, of course, as well as vaccination records. Might be overkill, but given the size of the place the variety of places horses are coming from, I'm good with it.
    Last edited by mp; Jan. 4, 2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: more info

I keep my horses at home and don't do a quarantine period for new horses coming in. I'm going to be feeding New Horse and the Regular Horses and I'm not going to do the whole haz mat thing, so no, I don't.

When Chip traveled to middle TN right after EHV1 popped up in eastern TN, he did stay home 3-4 weeks afterward when I normally would haul to a friend's arena. Just to be cautious, he stayed home.

I appreciate the desire to quarantine, but I just feel that I get out and show enough that the woolly boogers may come home with us regardless.

I doubt you could call what I do quarentine....All new horses must supply a negative coggins before stepping off trailer. (Even tho they are pretty much useless the day after blood is drawn. IMO) New horse is kept away from all other horses for 1 week, then moved to a greeting pasture next to the pasture they will be in with the other horses for 1 week.

I did have one horse come to me that was a rescue. No vet work, no coggins, no health stats. Before the horse could be trailered in, the new owner got the vet to pull coggins and email me the results asap. Vet couldnt do any vac's because of the condition of the horse. He was kept away from all other horses for 2 months before moving to a greeting pasture. At that point, he had gained enough weight to have his vacs.
    Boomer's Hopes & Dreams
    On Facebook
    Tia - The Rescue
    RIP Boomer - May 21, 1989 - November 3, 2010