The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New OTTB Prospect What are your thoughts?

Meet Officer Frank my new 6 year old ottb gelding that I will be bringing home soon. He has raced for 6 years and has stayed sound, I have had contact with his previous exercise rider who said he is well trained was started with slow hacks and long gallops around a farm in Kentucky. He is full of personality and has an excellent work ethic. I am hoping to take him up the levels in eventing. I like to event for fun and am happy to go to an event once a month. What do you think of him.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...4713610&type=3

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=3&theater

Can't see the photo. Please adjust your facebook settings, or paste the public version of the link.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

wow he came out of the womb racing???

sorry I couldn't help it

He's a cutie! Good luck with him!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

He's cute, but how long did he race?

Better yet, what was the cause of the 8.5 month layup before he returned this fall?

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    Better yet, what was the cause of the 8.5 month layup before he returned this fall?

~Emily
    :

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    wow he came out of the womb racing???

sorry I couldn't help it
    lol, yeah apparently my brain and my fingers didn't not get along, he raced for 4 years. I can do my math i promise.

As for the gap from Dec. 2010 racing to Aug. 2011 I am emailing his previous trainer Chris Dorris to find out. When I emailed him earlier he stated that he never had soundness issues with him during the time that he owned him. The exercise rider who worked with him when he was with the French trainer stated they do lots of long hacks and slow gallops. I had noticed his lack of running as a youth and asked about it but I missed the 2010-2011 one, thanks for pointing it out.

Yes 2 starts @ 2 isn't so unusual but 8 months off then 1 start @ 3 and another 8 months off isn't a good sign...but afterwards he ran steady for 2 years so who knows. Maybe chips or wind surgery or cracked shin??

Alright I have answers. His lightly raced 3 year old season is due to the owners had paid a lot for him and he was as good as they hoped. The most recent break was that Mr. Dorris had run him pretty bard since he claimed him and simply gave him a break. Frank was his big success and gave him his name so he wanted to treat him right. No surgeries nor lameness issues.

Look,

I am all about trainers who treat their horses right...

But having worked as an Assistant on the backside, I have to say what you were told massively trips my "BS" meter.

We had a "big" horse in the barn. And his "breaks" from racing were mostly due to being nqr or a problem. Only one was for a rest.

And in the other barns where I have been an assistant it was pretty much the same policy. But especially at the cheap tracks, this kind of 8 month "rest" would be outside the norm.

If you're gonna do any serious amount of jumping and load work on this guy I'd check him over before you invest your heart and wallet.

Good luck.

~Emily

Ps: He's 7 not 6. Born in 2005.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Did you do a PPE on him yet?
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

SALE YEAR 2007:

Officer Frank, 2005, c by Officer
    TOP BID PRICE SALE CODE/MONTH YEAR SALE TYPE SEA/SH HIP NO.
    $80,000 RNA OBS APR 2007 2YO 98

SALE AVERAGE: $28,878 SALE MEDIAN: $17,000

CONSIGNOR : Omega Farm, agent

Its awefully expensive to let a horse sit around unless its a
    G1 stakes horse who has either stud potential or a career that earns alot of $$ in few starts....Do get some rads and a scope...

I understand that you need to watch what people tell you and beware of the bs. Not every trainer is the same. But I am not buying him from his previous trainer so he has nothing to gain by lying to me. Also I have spoke to his exercise rider who rode him for his orginal owner and her story is the same as the other trainer and this particular trainer is well known for his compassion for horses. Frank got him started and he had gotten other horses in that allowed him to give him a break. And yes he is 7 now a month ago he was 6. the trainer I am buying him off I have worked with in the past and has an excellent reputation as well. Trust me I was orginally leary of an older one,but I have ridden with Steuart Pittman who is a huge advocate for ottb and have consulted with him on his thoughts. Frank past the flex test and as I said I saw him not long after his last race, watched him come out of his stall and he never misstepped once. I am an adult amateur who simply enjoys to event while I would love to reach prel or interm I am more for giving a ottb a good home and a new job. I am picking him up for cheap enough that if he ends up only being a trail /pleasure horse that is fine. I would much rather prefer to own a horse with personality and heart then one that fits all the perfect bill. He is sound and I feel confident in that.

do a thorough PPE with X Rays.
    Especially of his front ankles.

His neck ties in quite low, his back is a bit long, his front legs are a big wonky and he has a very common head.

all of that in a big horse may be rough.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I'm really glad you got the horse!! It sounds like whatever comes up with him soundness-wise, he's got a great home with you.

Even with exams and xrays, you still never know 100% whether the horse will stay sound for X activity. I got my boy for so cheap, it didn't make sense to do a pre-purchase. He ended up with an injury that an exam would have missed anyways.

He looks like an awesome horse & good luck with him!
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Hiway,

Let me be a little clearer.

I am not against you giving this horse a great home, quite the contrary. But I do believe that a knowledgable backside worker, like myself, should mention to an adult amateur when the stories you're being fed sound suspicious at best.

Whatever job he has he will cost money. And I know how much a healthy and fully capable sound guy can cost. Anything less than that will go up.

It's the job of the people who buy OTTB's to know going in what they have and can handle. It sounds like you will keep him regardless, so that's great. Just have your eyes open and be wary of any issues that may arise. Mountaineer has a rough track surface reputation and very lenient drug rules. Many horses can look immaculate after their races as they were pre-raced with Bute and banamine. (Common protocol at many tracks)

It's the 2 weeks -3 months later where you actually know what you have.

Good Luck.

~Emily

HW320...aren't you glad you asked...NOT-geez. If you like him-take him home and enjoy him and see where it goes. If he ends up as just a trail horse and you are aware that that could happen..it sounds like you are willing to go with that. You could buy a horse that vets perfect and they could be a pasture ornament the next day too! Yeah for you wanting to at least give him a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiwaythreetwenty View Post
    I am an adult amateur who simply enjoys to event while I would love to reach prel or interm I am more for giving a ottb a good home and a new job. I am picking him up for cheap enough that if he ends up only being a trail /pleasure horse that is fine. I would much rather prefer to own a horse with personality and heart then one that fits all the perfect bill.
    That's not what you stated on your FB in the comments of the picture of Frank. You said you wanted to go UL, but if he doesn't make it you have no problem selling him on.

Quote Originally Posted by event1 View Post
    HW320...aren't you glad you asked...NOT-geez.
    No reason to be snarky. As hard as it may be to hear, I'm pretty sure Xctrygirl is just trying to give the OP a heads up in the interest of...well, her best interest. He's cute, doesn't necessarily scream "Future Upper Level Horse", but then again, you won't know til you get there.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson