The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Confo Critique?

I'm still on the horse hunt, so my apologies for yet another confo critique thread. I really do promise that myself and the others who don't have the "eye" for confo enviously read the comments of those who do, hoping that something will rub off!

I understand that basically any horse can pack itself around the lower levels of eventing, but I do like to make sure the basic package will hold up.

The mare is ~5, with just 30 days on her. (She's got a long story to go with her, including some abuse. Her current owners pulled her from a bad situation, but she is not their "type" and falls by the wayside at their busy farm.) She's described as very sweet, but timid. I didn't find her particularly brave, but she was obedient to a fault and wanted to please. She had never seen a cross rail before but trotted right up to it for me and popped over, then politely waited for her cookie. She surprised her people with how level headed she was about it, they were expecting a lot worse. So she definitely has the mind for eventing.

She's a cute little mover with some extra flash due to her heritage. (I will have videos when I go to hop on her at the end of this week.) She's half Dutch Carriage, from what I remember, and half something that I don't remember.

Apologies for the wretched cell photo, it was all I could manage and will have better photos/video at the end of the week. I do know that I dislike her hoof angles, but she does have great feet and I have a fantastic farrier who can get them back in shape. I also can't tell if it's my crummy photo or lack of ability to see conformation or her actual conformation, but I think she may be a little downhill?

Thanks in advance!!
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...5&l=c18d9efbba

(It's a Facebook photo but open to the public, so unless Facebook itself is blocked, there should be no issues viewing it, even if you are not a member.)

I like her, or your description anyway.

Faults, imo, little straight in back leg! But, eh, ok. She is a bit thick out of neck, but aain, no deal Breaker. She looks a tad downhill, but actually think she is close to level. Bit weak in loin, back.

Plus's... Big engine, nice shouler. Would lean up nice i think.
    Last edited by gold2012; Jan. 3, 2012 at 10:02 PM.

I agree with gold. I also don't love her feet - but I think that's a trim problem (toes look long) rather then a confo problem.

Even if she is a touch downhill, she's young and still growing.

She's cute overall and I usually like Dutch Carriage crosses of any kind. Issues I see are:
    Short neck/long back
    Straight hind leg
    Slightly tied in at the knee? Could be the feathers creating an illusion, but I'm not sure.
    Short, semi-upright pasterns
    Appears coarse through the throat latch, but she's not really standing to her advantage.

She looks to me like a horse that will be heavy on the forehand. It's difficult to judge jumping ability just from a picture, but I'm guessing she'll have a hard time carrying herself and using herself ideally in the dressage ring. While she's young, it wouldn't be wise to assume that a 5 year old will grow enough to even out her quarters. And she'd have to grow an awful lot to balance out the length of her back with the rest of her body.

That said, nothing about her is hideous, so if you love her and she vets, go with her! She sounds like a cutie under saddle!
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

I think she is calf kneed. I am not fond of that particular conformation fault.

I stared and stared at her knees because back at the knee is a huge pet peeve of mine. I finally decided that they look beyond flat because of her stance and the feathering on the fetlocks and the tie in at the knee. They are either very flat knees or mild calf knees. Either way, not quite "perfect".
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

I saw that knee thing, but there is just enough angle to the pic that i cant figure out what that is. Our guy looks bowed, bad, from almost this identical angle....but he just has big veins at that spot. So opticle illusion. I think feet need serious trim. I too think she is going to be very heavy on front end!

If you drop a line straight thru middle of leg from top to bottom her knees see, pretty flat.

Unless she has a big step and some suspension and can lift her back and work up thru her neck she will be a potentially heavy fronted choppy ride and limited scope..IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by gold2012 View Post
    I like her, or your description anyway.

Faults, imo, little straight in back leg! But, eh, ok. She is a bit thick out of neck, but aain, no deal Breaker. She looks a tad downhill, but actually think she is close to level. Bit weak in loin, back.

Plus's... Big engine, nice shouler. Would lean up nice i think.
    She does clean up, very superficially, to a gorgeous specimen in the summer...the photos are breathtaking with her shiny black coat!

Thanks everyone for your opinions, they're nice to hear and good things to consider! I'd get her just because she's so stinking cute and a sweetheart, but unfortunately in my area horses are a bit too expensive to just collect because they're cute!

I'm definitely still going to go see and ride her, and actually see what she feels like under saddle. When I was watching her free lunge, she definitely used her hocks well and didn't seem heavy on the forehand....but every horse looks like a PSG horse when they're running free around the indoor being fresh!

Will be back on Friday with better photos/video! Thanks!