The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Selling a small amount of hay

I had to put my mare down so have no horses at home right now. I have around 100 bales of 1st cutting from this spring, 45 lb bales, grass mix local hay hay in my loft. I put it on craigslist.

Seriously people, do I need to schedule previews for 15 different picky horse people to sell a small amount of hay? Do you really need more information that what I have listed above? Do you need a freaking video? Am I asking too much that you come with your cash and if you want it you buy it, we load it and you take it away and if you don't want it then you don't buy it?

I always say to my hay guy that I could never deal with pita horse people. For the people who are so particular, I would assume they have already dealt with their local, reliable hay supplier and are not scrounging on craigslist.

When I am buying hay in small amounts I do just this - take my cash and my truck to the hay. If I like it I buy it, we load it and I'm done. If it is crap I don't buy it. End of story. I do not set up 5 appointments to go screen 100 bales of hay. Geesh!

I've lost my mare. Totally unexpectedly. I'm not in the mood!

I would maybe phrase it so you are selling ALL of it, in bulk for x amt. Otherwise you will be in the ten bales a week business for ages.. I would add a photo- there's a gal local to me who has 200 rolls available, 'good quality horse hay' that I know for a fact has been sitting in a field for two years.

My reliable guy died, then the other reliable guy didn't bale this past yr due to the drought- what hay he did put up, he kept for his cows. And I added a horse. Sometimes life happens

I'm ok with selling it 10 bales at a time. I just don't want to have to give walk throughs.

That's nuts. When I buy hay no matter the size of the load I pretty much show up cash in hand and ready to take it home (well, not on the occasions I've bought semi-loads, but still showed up ready to pay and have it delivered). If I get there and it's not the quality I want I leave, but the idea of scheduling a separate viewing for a one-time deal is nuts. The only way that even makes sense to me is if I was switching to a new regular supplier or something.

I think often people read advice on boards like this or in horse magazines and take it a bit too literally. "Check out the hay before you buy it" turns into the weirdness you're dealing with.

I wish we weren't on almost opposite sides of the country sketcher, otherwise I'd totally buy your hay with a minimum of fuss.

I'm sorry for the loss of your mare though. It's got to be frustrating dealing with people on top of that.

Horse people are crazy, you know that LOL. Maybe photos would discourage the walk throughs.

Sorry about the loss of your mare - have you considered asking your hay guy or trainer or other people you know and just selling it all by word of mouth? I know if my trainer told me that she knew of someone who had a barnfull of good hay I would buy some if I needed any (and not be a PITA about it, either).
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

have you contacted your hay supplier? they may either buy it back or for a fee resale it

If it were here in Texas you could take a trip to Europe on the proceeds (well maybe Quebec City)

Another option is to find a local rescue that is a bona fide 501(c)3 and well run, then donate the hay to them.
    You get a charitable donation receipt for the value of the hay to claim on your (itemized) taxes, while the horses benefit too.
    Inese

I'd love to donate it except that I had an unexpected large bill at Christmas time when I lost my mare. Giving away hay would just add insult to injury. And frankly, I've only tangled with one local rescue (here on this board as a matter of fact) and I would sooner cut off my right arm and beat myself to death with it.

Sketcher ,
    I am so sorry you lost your mare . How much are you selling your bales for and are you in Western Ma?

this year, around here, it would have been gone in one afternoon.