The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Riding with a cell phone

I'm in need of a new cell phone. I've always used basic flip phones because they easily attach by means of one of those velcro cases that go around the leg or arm. I ride alone so I definitely need to ride with my phone. Does anyone ride with the blackberry torch? Does it fit into one of those cases I mentioned above? Thanks!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

I've got a Blackberry Bold. It fits into the little zip pocket of my riding breeches.

I've never used an arm or leg holster - will those things fit over half chaps/tall boots?

Running stores have arm and leg bands that fit smart phones,i would look there. My blackberry did not fit in the little velcro case that I used for a flip phone.

Default Thanks

Hadn't thought about running stores. Thanks!

I ride in half chaps and just velcro the case on at the top. Never had a problem with it. I did have a problem when I used a case that attached to a belt by way of a clip. The clip broke and the phone fell off, got stepped on by the horse and died. Oh well, better the phone than me!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

I ride with an iPhone 4 in an Otterbox Defender case which I keep in the pocket of my pants. I personally seriously dislike blackberries, but regardless of which phone you choose there is a myriad of cases available. I highly recommend the Otterbox cases.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I ride with my flip phone in my bra.

The phone is a motorola barrage, water, dust and impact resistant. It's the first phone I haven't killed.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Default Unfortunately

My favorite schooling breeches don't have pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I ride with my flip phone in my bra.
    Yep. Me too. Pretty tough to get separated from it that way - as long as your bra is snug enough.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Yep. Me too. Pretty tough to get separated from it that way - as long as your bra is snug enough.
    But what happens if you take a fall?! I don't want a phone shaped bruise on my girls! LOL!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Ah, but hopefully it's a padded enough area that the phone is less likely to break!

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Jeanne View Post
    My favorite schooling breeches don't have pockets.
    Argh. My pet peeve. If I am ever queen of the universe, I shall decree that all women's clothing from business suits to riding breeches must have pockets!

Yes, the phone holsters velcro over tall boots and half chaps -- I always put mine on when I am trail riding by myself.

I use a belt clip holder
    I think i found one big enough and secure enough at target
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    But what happens if you take a fall?! I don't want a phone shaped bruise on my girls! LOL!
    If you fall in such a way that your chest hits the ground hard enough to bruise the girls, I'm pretty sure you'll have more to worry about than a phone shaped bruise.

Kerrits makes a riding tight that has a generous cell phone pocket on both thighs http://www.amazon.com/Kerrits-Cargo-.../dp/B005MZHIEO

I stuck mine in there before I left for the barn, not intending to ride with it and completely forgot it was in there until it rang. Luckily, I was not on a horse or I might not be here to tell about it as it was set on full volume. I have the fleecie winter ones and I really like them.

My iPhone is always in my pocket. One of my breeches has a pocket that is just big enough for my phone and it's in the front. My other schooling breeches have pockets in the back that easily fit my phone but are off to the side so it doesn't get sat on.
    I would not buy breeches that didn't have pockets!

I'm forever checking my pocket to make sure I zipped it and my phone hasn't bounced out.

But pretty much most phones will fit in a vest or coat with a pocket that zips. Barring that, like others said, running stores (or even maybe Dick's or Gander Mtn...seen a few at Target) have various cases for different styles. Seen a few at tack shops also, and then there's the 'holsters' for your phone that attach to your belt.

amazon has a ton of smart phone armbands if you'd rather shop from home
    http://www.amazon.com/SM-ARMBAND-Arm...m/B0047V96JY/2
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Kerrits makes a riding tight that has a generous cell phone pocket on both thighs http://www.amazon.com/Kerrits-Cargo-.../dp/B005MZHIEO

I stuck mine in there before I left for the barn, not intending to ride with it and completely forgot it was in there until it rang. Luckily, I was not on a horse or I might not be here to tell about it as it was set on full volume. I have the fleecie winter ones and I really like them.
    Cargo riding tights - what a good idea! I can't tell from the picture that they have pockets, though.

Just a suggestion, but I think it's good to bombproof whatever horse you're on to the sound of your cell phone going off.

The pockets really really show up much - they just sort of look like a seam on the thigh. They are generously sized to hold any phone.

I agree that the horse should be phone proofed, but since it's a lease I only have for another 4 weeks or so, I'm not too eager to do the work/rodeo riding (my own horse is pretty much everything proofed). I usually don't carry a phone while I ride since there are usually plenty of people around to pick up my carcass.

Ditto the bra, which is where I stick my credit or debit cards so as not to lug a purse around. Works well!