The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is this normal behavior for a part lease?

First time part leaser here.

I decided to advertise my mare for a part lease and found a nice lady (name changed to protect the innocent but let's call her Ann) who wanted to ride 2 days per week. We came up with a price, set a schedule, and all was well. Or so I thought!

Let me back up. I board at a partial self care barn. There's a small tack room split by all the boarders. Very limited space. Everyone has a spot for a trunk, a bridle rack, and a saddle rack and that is that. No one gets more or less. Not much room!

So in the first week, I arrive to find a saddle sitting on top of mine on the rack. Ann's saddle. I thought okay, saddles are heavy, she should not have to carry it back and forth.

The next time I ride, there's a second grooming tote full of brushes. Ann's. Okay, so she doesn't want to share grooming stuff. Fine.

In the past 2 weeks, these have magically appeared on my tack trunk/hanging with my stuff- half chaps in a bag, paddock boots in a bag, three whips, a helmet in a bag, side reins, a stepstool, and a folding chair. Apparently she doesn't want to sit on the tack trunk to put her boots on and that's why she needs the stepstool and folding chair.

There is so much stuff now, it is spilling onto the space of the person next to me and I think she is going to start getting mad.

Is this normal? Do leasers typically get to share part of the tackroom space. If she's riding 2 days out of 7, does she get 1/5 of the space? Would it be rude to say something? I didn't think leasing meant giving up tack room space, since she is free to use all my tack and stuff for the horse. But I have never done this before and don't want to overstep. Could be what she is doing is normal and I just don't know.

Advice!

Part-leasers at my barn are allowed to bring their own tack trunks. However, it doesn't sound unreasonable to restrict what she keeps there based on the availability of space. Give her a call and nicely let her know that with both of your stuff there you are over the space alotted by the barn. Ask her what she absolutely needs to keep there- and limit it to that.

I've done a lot of half leases and never left my stuff at the barn, I always used their brushes, took helmet with me, half chaps, paddocks, saddle. I'd tell her she can't store her stuff there as there is not enough space or that she needs a box or a bin if there is enough space. When I had a half leaser, she was not allowed to store things in my tack locker.

It sounds very cluttered and easy for her stuff to get lost/used/stolen just sitting out anyway.

Check the bolded part of your question:
    Quote Originally Posted by WWGeorgeMorrisD View Post
    First time part leaser here.

I decided to advertise my mare for a part lease and found a nice lady (name changed to protect the innocent but let's call her Ann) who wanted to ride 2 days per week. We came up with a price, set a schedule, and all was well. Or so I thought!

Let me back up. I board at a partial self care barn. There's a small tack room split by all the boarders. Very limited space. Everyone has a spot for a trunk, a bridle rack, and a saddle rack and that is that. No one gets more or less. Not much room!

So in the first week, I arrive to find a saddle sitting on top of mine on the rack. Ann's saddle. I thought okay, saddles are heavy, she should not have to carry it back and forth.

The next time I ride, there's a second grooming tote full of brushes. Ann's. Okay, so she doesn't want to share grooming stuff. Fine.

In the past 2 weeks, these have magically appeared on my tack trunk/hanging with my stuff- half chaps in a bag, paddock boots in a bag, three whips, a helmet in a bag, side reins, a stepstool, and a folding chair. Apparently she doesn't want to sit on the tack trunk to put her boots on and that's why she needs the stepstool and folding chair.

There is so much stuff now, it is spilling onto the space of the person next to me and I think she is going to start getting mad.

Is this normal? Do leasers typically get to share part of the tackroom space. If she's riding 2 days out of 7, does she get 1/5 of the space? Would it be rude to say something? I didn't think leasing meant giving up tack room space, since she is free to use all my tack and stuff for the horse. But I have never done this before and don't want to overstep. Could be what she is doing is normal and I just don't know.

Advice!
    Oh, Lord, honey, stop doing this kind of math and take a breath.

I get that you guys have limited space. I get that your lessee is a tad nuts to need her own personal chair for donning boots.

But you can't ask if the 1/5 of space for riding 2/7 days is SOP for leases. These kind of details are worked about in a friendly conversation. Be the one who starts it so that your deal can continue to work.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Can you two get together and decide what can reasonably be stored in the space? Are there things you can take home? Part-boarding does mean 'sharing', including tack room space.

You are not overstepping your bounds to say something.

I agree that she needs to have her stuff clearly marked and understand that if it is out at the barn and gets 'lost', you are not responsible for it.

Of course you need to give her some space but since your space is limited, she has to understand that there is a limitation to what she can or cannot bring.

Why don't you just talk to her?

Maybe she doesn't like your brushes?, but on the other hand...she could bring one or two she prefers and mix it with yours?
    Saddle, boots and helmet, I can understand...a pain to take back and forth but if there is not much space...but lots of crops and the rest...just tell her to bring what she really intent to use and that she just cannot drop all of her horsey things in your tack trunk/space.

Communication!

Also, make sure she is only using things that you approved. Is her saddle fitting ok? Does she have clean pads? Do you want your horse ridden with draw reins, spurs, crops, side reins, different bit, whatever?

I just want to add to what the last person said about making sure her saddle fits your horse. I part lease my horse out and had a saddle fitter come out and determine what possible school saddles (other than my own saddle--which was a bit too small for the leasee) could fit my mare.

My tack room is not so space constrained so that's never been an issue for me. However, if you can't talk to her about the small stuff, I think it will be hard to talk to her about the stuff that counts.

I'd mention to her that space is limited and that you either are going to set aside some of your space for her, or suggest that she not leave her brushes, etc. in the tackroom.

As for saddles? I have always specified that other people ride in my saddles unless their saddle fits. If you're not good at fitting saddles, it's worth having a professional saddle fitter come in and evaluate it.

Personally, I think bringing a step stool AND a folding chair into someone else's tackroom is extreme, but I'm happy to sit on a tack trunk.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

To me, it seems self-explanatory that if she is part boarding the horse, she should get some use of the horse's "tack room" alotment as well. She is, after all, helping to pay for that space.

If space is limited, meet up at the barn over the weekend and have an adult conversation that involves sharing.

If you already have X alotment of storage space, clean out a portion of it so that she has room to have a small tupperware of her own stuff easily accessible.

This will involve you taking some of your stuff home to make space for the person who is part boarding your horse, and her being reasonable in what she brings over so that you don't end up with a 6 pc living room set in your barn's tack room.

Additionally, I third the comments on making sure that saddle fits your horse.

I have to say I am kind of amazed at what all she has brought, considering that my horses generally take up one saddle rack, one bridle rack, with a little teeny bucket that has brushes and open front/ankle boots in it placed beneath.

"Hey, Ann, I noticed our tack room space is spilling over into the neighbors' and was wondering if you'd mind keeping your stepstool and folding chair in your car?"

Or "One of the other boarders has very nicely pointed out our stuff is spreading outside of the allowed tack storage space and asked me to make other arrangements for some of the stuff, could you keep your folding chair and stepstool in your car or at home?"

Notice use of "our" and limiting the request to the over the top items. With any luck, she will realize she needs to cut down on the stuff she is keeping there in your alloted space. It may well be she does not know there is a limit on space since she never saw the barn boarding contract. She may also be an inexperienced boarder and clueless about such things.

You can try anyway. If that doesn't work, you will have to just come out and tell her she cannot keep all that stuff there, at some point one of your neighbors is going to speak up anyway, may as well beat them to it. Just point out it's not your barn or your rules.

BTW, if it's hunt seat saddles, it is not going to hurt them to stack carefully, just put yours on top the 6 days she is not there.

Barns I have been a half leaser in usually would not allow me to keep a trunk or saddle there, nothing personal, just no room. When/if your lease comes up for renewal, you'll know to include storage in the language-as in none.

If this is the biggest snag in your lease experience???? Count your blessings. Not worth fretting too much over.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Here's what you do (imo):
    Apologize for not getting these details worked out before but there were some things you didn't think ofsince this is your first time sharing your horse with someone.
    Then be very clear about how much space each boarder gets at this barn. (she's not a boarder) Every barn is different but thats just the deal at yours. Crowded tack rooms are common and the people who come out every day don't want to be worrying about not knocking 'ann's' stuff around.
    Then suggest whatever makes sense to you. If it's ok with you for her to store her saddle on top of yours, great! Having to bring her helmet, half chaps etc back and forth isn't that different from having a gym bag. If I were doing a partial lease and was told there wasn't room for my stuff I wouldnt be shocked or anything.

Replies appreciated- she is a wonderful lady and we absolutely can have a conversation. But before we did that I did want to get a sense of what is normal. I just thought I would ask because I have never done this before what the reasonable expectation was. If I was in her shoes I probably would not be leaving anything at the barn for fear it would get used/messed up the other days I was not out there. But then again, I have never leased before so all this is new to me.

I actually was not going to say anything until the stepstool and folding chair arrived. I just have never seen someone (boarding or leasing) show up with a chair before. That was new to me. I don't mind sharing at all. But the way the tack room is set up, there is no place for folding chairs even if I wanted to share. At least not a place they would be easy to get to and put back?

Good advice about the saddle fit as well. She rides a different discipline than I do and she is larger in seat size, so my saddle is not terribly useful to her though of course I have made it clear she is welcome to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by WWGeorgeMorrisD View Post
    I actually was not going to say anything until the stepstool and folding chair arrived. I just have never seen someone (boarding or leasing) show up with a chair before.
    Maybe she doesn't realize she can use your truck as a seat? Maybe she is trying (poorly?) to be respectful of "your" stuf??
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Let her know that since space is limited she might want to a) share your brushes etc (if you are willing to allow her access to your stuff) and b) find some sort of big tote to use to get stuff back and forth. The owner of my former part lease horse preferred that I use her horse's brushes rather than ones that had been used on other horses, which mine had. There really is no need for her to have a full extra set of care items if you are comfortable with her using yours, especially when space is scarce.
    I used to "part lease" and I used the owners brushes/care supplies, her spurs/whip and bought a big bag to carry saddle, helmet, 1/2 chaps, etc to and from the barn.

As an alternative, if there is some wall space someplace maybe a hook can be hung for her helmet and chaps?

If she is a reasonable person she sould be fine with an honest mention that since space is at a premium, that you (collectively) need to limit the amount of stuff in the tackroom.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

If you weren't sure immediately what the "norm" was, probably neither is she. She may not have even thought about the issue. Yes, a chair (and step stool) is a little excessive. Wanting to keep a saddle, saddle pad and bridle and a few brushes seems reasonable to me, plus/minus whips, hat, draw reins, half chaps. Don't know if this is going on or not, but sometimes people bring stuff to the barn that they don't want the inconvenience of storing at home, not because they need it at the barn.

I thought you might be amused to hear about the update.

Ann and I had a talk about the space limitation in the tack room. She said she understood and I said I would make sure she had space for her things. I took home exactly half of everything I had in the tack room. I took home one of my saddles (which I now bring back and forth to the barn when I want to use it) and gave Ann the lowest and best saddle rack all to herself. I cleaned out half my trunk and told Ann she could store what she needed there. I also took all my extra grooming materials and put them in my trailer. I gave her half the space.

Ann quickly filled all that space with all sorts of stuff including a brand new surcingle and lunge line, a collapsible feed bucket, a hay bag, sweatshirts, muck boots, more grooming supplies, and 5 saddle pads. This means her boot bag, helmet bag, crops, grooming tote, quarter sheet (which I provided one for her to use anyway), half chaps, whips, folding chair, and stool are STILL on and around the tack trunk. She just filled the extra storge space with new stuff.

Most amusing new addition is a book on jumping exercises. It appeared on the tack trunk yesterday. Ann rides 2 days a week maximum walk/trot on the flat in lessons because she is basically a beginner. She cannot ride alone because she cannot mount without help or adjust her girth and stirrups. I am not sure she knows how to lunge? Or what she's planning to do in terms of jumping exercises. I am perplexed by the hay bag and bucket. Where are we going?

I have concluded that Ann is a packrat and the people at the tack store are selling her anything they can think of whether she needs it or not. So I am just going to accept this as who she is. In most respects Ann is a wonderful person. Pays on time. Rides lightly. Very respectful of the horse. Polite to everyone at the barn. A nice person in every way.... except she just has a lot of stuff I guess!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

That is funny. It sounds like she is very sweet and a little clueless and very excited about having "almost my own horse." She may be picking up from her reading that all of these things are "necessities" for having one's own horse and is preparing.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I would politely let her know/remind her that she is not allowed to try and "learn" how to jump on her own outside of lessons.

Just in case!

I am thanking my lucky stars right now that ever time I've ha'f leased my horses out it's been to a person already riding with my trainer and already at my barn. No whack-a-do's! Phew!!

I stored my saddle, helmet, saddle pads, and half chaps at the barn where my previous half-lease horse is kept. But I did ask the horse's owner about it, and there was room (another saddle rack, and hooks for the helmet etc.) This was also the custom for half-lessees at this barn.

I don't see any reason why she can't use your grooming supplies. As far as everything else, I would just talk to her about how you are only allocated a certain amount of room as a boarder, and this includes the items that her half-lessee brings.
    "Horses give us the wings we lack"

OMG this woman is truly a pack rat
    I have two horses that I board, and don't have that much stuff in my locker...

You have been more than generous, but I fear the pile will keep on growing - keep us posted!