The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Hunter shoots woman in Mass.- thought her dog was a deer

Yikes, need to get more orange stuff and bells!

http://www.heraldnews.com/news/x1569...nting-accident
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

Bonus points for the shooter being a cop.

Unbelievable. Shooter was State Trooper off duty. Something is very very wrong here.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

And my riding buddies laughed when I got blaze orange reins and made a blaze orange 1/4 sheet.

I'm glad to see the woman has been updated from fair to good.

[quote]no violations have been found and no charges will be filed against John Bergeron[quote]
    Accidents happen but that's not something you shrug and say "oops!".

Accidents DO happen and I am not saying it's okay, but was the woman wearing orange? It appears he was in an area where hunting is allowed (and not near someone's backyard) and I thought everyone wore orange during hunting season in areas where people are allowed to hunt. Despite that, he should have identified his target first. "It looked like a deer" is not enough.
    It said the accident took place 15 minutes before hunting season ended at 4:55PM which was ~17 minutes after sunset. Is that enough light to be able to identify your target?

On the morning of Nov. 28, when shotgun season was just hours old, a shotgun round hit a Berkley woman’s house, breaking the window
    Another person, same article. How does that even happen? Those safety rules are in place for a reason.
    Last edited by Teacup; Jan. 4, 2012 at 07:28 AM.

The obvious problem is he shot at "what he thought was a deer tail" and it was after sunset. If you can't visualize THE ENTIRE animal you shouldn't be pulling the trigger.

I don't understand why this is such a hard concept for people....
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Cops are taught not to shoot until they can identify their target. So there's something wrong with that shooting incident. I worked with cops and with DNR guys for many years. My first question is: Was the cop drinking? His target should have been the area just behind the "deer's" shoulder.

When I was growing up, a group of guys I knew went over to Warsaw Island to hunt deer. They drank, they hunted, one guy shot another guy. Tide was out, so their boat was high and dry, so 5 guys spent the night on the island with the body.

My father was a sportsman all of his life. There's a big big difference between a sportsman and a hunter. He would not hunt on public lands and was careful whom he hunted with on plantations. He told me about careless hunters and drinking hunters and the whole crazy world of men with guns. He had friends who were DNR rangers, and I have one cousin who is still a DNR ranger. The incidents they've all told me about taught me never to go into the woods (where I have a right to be) because there are crazy hunters all around.

That woman had a right to be on a trail with her dogs. Doesn't matter to hunters who will shoot at anything that moves, including other hunters.

Default A real shame

The 911 call made by the hunter has been made public. It's awful (he is distraught). He will probably never hunt again, and in my opinion, I think this may affect his attitude toward having a gun on the job. He is weeping and saying, "I'm so sorry" over and over again. You might not expect a police officer to lose it emotionally but this guy does. You can't help but feel at least a tiny bit for what he's going through, regardless of his having made A Very Big And Stoopid Mistake. I don't think alcohol was a factor. Just a guy out alone, whose head was probably in the "last 15 minutes of hunting season" mode, and he didn't think everything through when he took the shot.

Based on what you hear in the background, it sounds like the victim says, "I thought hunting season was over today," and the hunter answers, "It ends tonight." In any case, she was on a popular walking trail about 1/4 mile away from her house. I'm sure the hunter is thinking in hindsight that he knew better than to shoot in an area popular for people walking their dogs, at night (it would have been almost pitch dark at the time of the accident).

Quote Originally Posted by Sabovee View Post
    The obvious problem is he shot at "what he thought was a deer tail" and it was after sunset. If you can't visualize THE ENTIRE animal you shouldn't be pulling the trigger.

I don't understand why this is such a hard concept for people....
    This!!! In 20 point font and neon...
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

These stories remind me so much of drunk driving accidents, so much regret, foolishness, and innocent loss... They aren't the norm but they're so bad when they happen they trip everyone's triggers.

If you live 1/4 mile from where people hunt, you should KNOW when hunting season is and isn't. I wear an orange vest, and orange on my helmet, AND my dog wears a vest. Not so say the hunter didn't also make mistakes, but we need to protect ourselves from other's mistakes.

While it's an extremely difficult tape to listen to, I don't have too much sympathy for the shooter being distraught and if he never hunts again, all the better. Yes, accidents happen, but it's not like he bumped her with a shopping cart or cut her off in traffic. He failed to identify his target and shot toward a walking trail after dark.
    Maybe I'm bitter because I've suffered a similar injury as a result of someone else's negligence and my perpetrator was neither helpful nor contrite. But the reality here is that this woman's life may never be the same again. Does anyone know the extent of her injuries?

Edited to add this update:
    http://www.tauntongazette.com/topsto...ld-accountable

She's not doing as well as expected and has required repeated transfusions. I find it interesting that the police dept. is quoted in many news sources as saying that her injuries are believed to be non life threatening. Why do you need multiple blood transfusions if your life isn't in danger?
    Last edited by JackieBlue; Jan. 5, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

[quote=Teacup;6061036]I'm glad to see the woman has been updated from fair to good.

[quote]no violations have been found and no charges will be filed against John Bergeron
    Accidents happen but that's not something you shrug and say "oops!".

Accidents DO happen and I am not saying it's okay, but was the woman wearing orange? It appears he was in an area where hunting is allowed (and not near someone's backyard) and I thought everyone wore orange during hunting season in areas where people are allowed to hunt. Despite that, he should have identified his target first. "It looked like a deer" is not enough.
    It said the accident took place 15 minutes before hunting season ended at 4:55PM which was ~17 minutes after sunset. Is that enough light to be able to identify your target?

Another person, same article. How does that even happen? Those safety rules are in place for a reason.
    Happens every year (several times) -- some idiot shoots a person, dog or horse thinking it's game. Some moron out here shot his own mule who he & his partner had tied up early that AM while they ground stalked & glassed looking for elk.

As for wearing orange -- I really don't think alot of non-hunters even think of it while out in the woods.

These kind of hunters -- the ones who will take a blind shot because of some "buck fever" are the dangerous one. Good hunters don't take blind shots they might miss or where they wound the deer instead of making a kill shot.

A cop should know better.

Thumbs down

a .50 caliber round is BIG, it is used by the military to shoot armored vehicles, and generally you are not allowed to shoot living things with it (law of war, etc). Wow.
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

God, this makes me sick.

I hunt and would NEVER take a shot if the deer wasnt in FULL view. Why did he think it was okay to shoot because he thought he saw a white tail? Things like this explain why there was a deer in our yard the other day with one leg blown off. How can you aim to kill quickly when youre not aiming at a vital body part?!

I think he should have his hunting license revoked forever, as well as suffer some penalty.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

If you live 1/4 mile from where people hunt, you should KNOW when hunting season is and isn't.
    why? I live right next to places where people hunt, and since I don't hunt, I'm not particularly "up" on when various hunting seasons are and aren't- and it's not my responsibility either, it's the responsibility of the persons with the firearms to not shoot unless they know what they are shooting at.
    I once TRIED to track the hunting seasons- basically it's pretty darn hard to figure out when what is open and when it isn't unless you're searching by the particular kind of animal that you wish to shoot. If you're just trying to not get shot, you can't input a particular date into some database and get told whether it's safe or not to go out. General rifle season for deer is a pretty obvious "hide! the armed idiots are out in force" but beyond that, who can tell.
    If you'd asked me, I would have said that there wasn't any hunting going on New Year's eve. I went out without any orange on either me or my deer-colored dogs.

Anyway, now I know how to commit the perfect murder and not get charged with anything.

I find it disturbing that he shot at something he really couldn't see clearly, or identify what it actually was. See something moving and start shooting. You think as a state trooper, he would have more sense.

My state (GA) requires that every police officer be post certified. This means that not only do they have t o go to recruit school to get hired, to remain as LEOs they must recertify each year. Recertification requires that they go to the shooting range, where SWAT experts evaluate their shooting. Plus since cops are gun addicts, they can go to the range any time to practice, ammo furnished. I've been to the ranges. They are outside. Targets vary. I'm sure that Mass. has the same requirements and facilities for cops there.

The average hunter should know not to shoot at a deer tail. A cop has been trained t o a higher standard of care before shooting at anything. There's something wrong when a cop shoots at a "white tail."

I just hate it when people blame the victim.

A woman in Maine was shot to death hanging laundry in her own yard. The jury let the hunter off saying it was her own fault for wearing white gloves. Her husband moved out of the state with their children because of the horrible attitude they had. A child wearing a pile coat was shot and killed waiting for a school bus next to the road.Some years ago a hunter killed another hunter on the last day of deer season less than a mile from where I live. I heard the shot and the sirens. The deer ran in between the hunters and one of them fired at the deer missed and killed the other hunter. It was starting to get dark at the time but the hunter knew the other hunter was there and fired anyway. Another year the same thing happened where a hunter shot another hunter after a deer ran between them but that guy lived. These trigger happy idiots need to be sent to prison for negligent homicide or involuntary manslaughter and sued for wrongful death. Wearing blaze orange did not save that hunter. We had 2 deputy sheriffs killed during hunting season in this state. One in a nearby county was mistaken for a turkey. His killer got off with no jail time. They just took his gun and his hunting license. There is no doubt in my mind that somebody could get away with first degree murder during hunting season by claiming it was an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    why? I live right next to places where people hunt, and since I don't hunt, I'm not particularly "up" on when various hunting seasons are and aren't- and it's not my responsibility either, it's the responsibility of the persons with the firearms to not shoot unless they know what they are shooting at.
    I once TRIED to track the hunting seasons- basically it's pretty darn hard to figure out when what is open and when it isn't unless you're searching by the particular kind of animal that you wish to shoot. If you're just trying to not get shot, you can't input a particular date into some database and get told whether it's safe or not to go out. General rifle season for deer is a pretty obvious "hide! the armed idiots are out in force" but beyond that, who can tell.
    If you'd asked me, I would have said that there wasn't any hunting going on New Year's eve. I went out without any orange on either me or my deer-colored dogs.

Anyway, now I know how to commit the perfect murder and not get charged with anything.
    Because there are hunting accidents every single season, and while most hunters are educated and careful, there are always many who are not. I trust my ability to keep myself safe more than their ability to keep me safe.

I always google hunting season information before riding anywhere where legal hunting is allowed. I avoid the first few days of big game season, because that seems to be when most of the yahoos are out.