The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wish I had a solution for birds. My barn is full of them and I constantly hear them in the rafters (where the previous owner put up mesh to keep the little buggers out)...
    And at the racetrack?! Ha. Tons and tons of starlings and pigeons. Pigeons poop on EVERYTHING. And perch on everything. I hate them. But I cannot bring myself to kill the babies in the nests. I wish I could though.
    Race training and retraining Thoroughbreds.

remove the nests...and in their place leave mothballs. This has worked for us, we have won some battles, but the war is ongoing :-)

Okay, here's what we've tried so far with no success.

Moth balls; found them all over the floor and in the stalls, birds just learned to remove them, I might try the moth flakes. . .

Plastic owls: Great perch for sparrows. . .

Leaf blower: Worked for one day, but is really really time consuming.

Chimes, loud or soft: Lovely to hear, sparrows agree. . .

Cats: useless (love them, but useless for sparrows

We're going to try a BB gun next out side and cut down on the numbers.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Unhappy Something else that doesn't work

We tried the expanding/insulating foam where the sparrows were building nests in the corners of my indoor. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Some very pretty orange cause that's what my neighbor had at the time. Birds had a great time pecking it out and it fell all over the corners on the footing. Looked like carrot bits. We then covered the area up with wood.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

My husband had read somewhere to use chicken egg shells as a deterent and we were surprised to find that it worked. We would save a few shells from cooking and he put them on different ends of the barn in the rafters of the loft. I don't recall what type of birds were starting to nest in there, but they did stay away for a period of time and when they started coming back he put in "fresh" shells and they would leave again.

Quote Originally Posted by ferozar View Post
    My husband had read somewhere to use chicken egg shells as a deterent and we were surprised to find that it worked. We would save a few shells from cooking and he put them on different ends of the barn in the rafters of the loft. I don't recall what type of birds were starting to nest in there, but they did stay away for a period of time and when they started coming back he put in "fresh" shells and they would leave again.
    I think I'll put eggs on my shopping list!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

We screened in our entire barn with sliding screen doors. No birds, bugs or other things. Where we could not fit a slider we used folding screen doors that were hinged together. It's been several years now and I wonder how I ever tolerated all of those bugs!

Quote Originally Posted by ferozar View Post
    ferozar, I do have a question about that. Did you rinse out the egg shells first or put them up in the barn just as they were with egg residue on them?
    Sue