The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

They're bedding Abby's stall! She must be getting close. I have a vested interest in this one as Abby will be coming to Georgia to live with me after she weans this PINTO FILLY (that's my guess)http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif.

www.quantumleapfarm.com

They're bedding Abby's stall! She must be getting close. I have a vested interest in this one as Abby will be coming to Georgia to live with me after she weans this PINTO FILLY (that's my guess)http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif.

www.quantumleapfarm.com

I am ... LOL! I could not get into Yahoo tonight. She is being pretty restless ... shuffling feet and wringing tail ... which she has not been doing at all. She has also been a little sweaty the last 2 days. Her hindquarters are jello. Still no milk or big bag. I have only had one mare (another maiden) foal without a bag. I had one mare go 6 wks late (I question the breeding dates!) and another mare that always foaled between 318 and 322 days (3 times, well developed foals). All of my other mares foaled between 336 and 344 days from ovulation. She is now 338 days, so I laid down straw to be safe. Now, she will probably hang on to this foal for the next 2 weeks. Sigh!

The waiting is KILLING me! When it happens, I'll give a thumbs up for a filly and a thumbs up for color ... with my luck, I'll get a chestnut colt. Although, I will settle for spectacular movement and conformation in any color.

Quantum Leap Farm
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

3:20 am -- Awake and watching my own here in NC...

Oh, c'mon. It's 4:08! No one wants to join me???
    Hubby is sawing logs with his cell phone under his pillow just in case I need his help.

Last check, mare was on her side, legs outstretched, breathing hard....I walk in and think, "yea, this is it..." She's having contractions...but she see's me, hops up and proceeds to eat some hay....

I'm going to have to change into some black clothes and sneak back down there.... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif

I just peeked in and still no baby! although I think her shape has changed..she definitely looks more pg now!
    ~Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away...

I'm gearing up for another night of foal watch...
    I swear, she didn't have it because she knew I was there. So, tonight, I'm going to have to sneak up on her.....

Hidden Hill-
    Puh-lease tell me you are not foaling in the dark ages and don't have a sneaky spy camera set up! I'll be kicking back on my couch to night on foal watch! I know that you know that if they see you in the barn after 11 pm they will certainly cross their legs for at least another 2-3 days! Seriously...I'd be so shocked if you didn't have a foal camera I might have to just load up Gracie and drive to your place and set one up for you http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

Andrea Clibborn-Anderson
    www.crestlinefarm.com
    Home of Pinto Dutch Warmblood Palladio
    Andrea Clibborn-Anderson
    www.crestlinefarm.com

The original plan was that the barn apartment would be finished by foaling season. It has windows overlooking the broodmare stalls. So, I eventually will be able to sit back in front of an open window and listen and watch...

However, you know how building goes...

We looked into all sorts of foal cams, but none of the wireless ones would transmit all the way from the barn to the house - which is around 600 feet.

So, then we looked at the hard wired ones and realized that we should wait to dig one ditch that would contain all of the lines we would ever need...

Anyway, that means this season, we're foaling in the dark ages -- with hubby all tucked in his bed. I watch until 5:30sm and come in for some sleep. He goes down when I get back and watch until the morning crew comes in at 7:30.

You're more than welcome to come help me install a system and bring darling Gracie with you!!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif
    I make a killer margarita. That sounds like way more fun than hanging out in the barn all night!!!

I am foal watching tonight ...

Quantum Leap Farm
    Visit us on facebook!

Me too. Getting ready for another covert operation -- sneaking into the back of the barn undetected...

You should see your darling Twiggy. He's finally starting to lose his winter woolies. I'll be able to take some pictures in the next couple weeks.

I am so excited!

Quantum Leap Farm
    Visit us on facebook!

Uhhhggggg. Just got back from the barn. I swear that mare has radar. She knew I was there. She didn't see me, but I could tell that she sensed I was there. So, I just gave up and walked over to her to see how she was doing. Dripping milk, tummy rumbling, very ready. So, I just gave everyone some extra hay and figured I wouldn't bother her for another 2 hours.

Of course I had to play with my dahhhrling Radjah colt while I was down there. He's so sweet. I just get down on my knees and he comes right over to visit. I'm hoping the next one is even half as sweet!!

I pester mine so much that they don't give it any thought. Most of them foal during the day or early evening.

The last few days are the worse!

Quantum Leap Farm
    Visit us on facebook!

Hidden hill...you're insane!!! I can't imagine how I survived without cameras and alarms...at least now I can sleep a little in front of the TV with the alarms set so I don't miss anything. I'm jealous that Showjumper got her e-cams up...I really need that too...then I can spy from my office too!!!

Seriously though...beg, borrow or steal a foaling alarm at least!!!! Then you can sleep in the barn until the alarm wakes you up to check for false alarms.

Actually though...we boosted a camera system with an old broken VCR so we could get the signal run to the house. That way you can use cheap cable too...just run it above ground and if it gets ruined it's cheap...and a great use for an old VCR that doesn't play tapes anymore!

Margaritas sound lovely....after that we'd be good and ready to install some cameras...since I'm such a technical genius before adding tequila!

I think my mare has another week or so but...wow...she's been acting funny tonight...maybe sooner than I think...

Andrea Clibborn-Anderson
    www.crestlinefarm.com
    Andrea Clibborn-Anderson
    www.crestlinefarm.com

Since my barn is not done either, my cable is run above ground temporarily in PVC pipe.

Quantum Leap Farm
    Visit us on facebook!

My mare, who is way over due, lies down alot at nite. Last nite at 3:30, she was calmly lying down in her stall. She rolls once a day too- is that normal. She is not distressed about it either. However, she was very grouchy this morning when I tried to check her bag- she kicked at me- which is very unlike her. Thanks,Robyn

Hidden Hill, my camera broke so I had to buy a new new one and I got it off of ebay. Here's another one they are offering:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3084772888
    It works great. You will have buy more cable, but you can get another 500 feet of cable from Radio Shack. It think it was around $100. I don't have mine underground. It looks like a thick coated telephone line and I just use it when I need to and then roll it back up and store it for the next time. My barn is about 500 feet away from our house and it works just fine. When I can justify the expense (next year I should have 3 top quality foals), then I will get my foal cam, but in the meantime, my current set up has worked out just fine.

Good luck with your foaling.

Sherry White
    Graystone Farm Sporthorses
    www.graystonefarm.com

My mare isn't due for around another 5 weeks so I have some time but my camera is up and I check on her often. She's an experienced broodmare (had 7 foals) but I haven't been able to get much information about her previous foalings since her previous owner doesn't speak ANY Engish. She's as big a house already and has a little bag. She's not relaxed much through her croup so I'm sure we have lots of time. However, when my last Oldenburg mare foaled (maiden) she had not been relaxed either and she had her foal with very few signs of being ready foal. She's another one of those mares that did not read the book! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

My new mare is as big a house already! Julz, this is going to be one big filly! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif

Sherry White
    Graystone Farm Sporthorses
    www.graystonefarm.com

Greystone-
    That is a very slick setup for the money! We bought one of the ones that has multiple channels so we can watch more that one stall but the signal won't make it to the barn...hence our homemade booster (also to use cheap coax cable for the long run to the house)...so that's very cool that the camera you posted will make it long distance...I can think of a few people I will definitely pass that on to....

Andrea Clibborn-Anderson
    www.crestlinefarm.com
    Andrea Clibborn-Anderson
    www.crestlinefarm.com