The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Anyone a fan of 20's/30's/40's music?

I love it!

I'm a big fan of Ruth Etting, Bix Beiderbecke, Fats Waller, Ethel Waters, Annette Hanshaw etc, etc

Love love love Big band, ragtime, jazz and the like.

Here are a couple o' my faves:

Love Me or Leave Me
    : my ringtone at the moment. (as a side note, my text tone is a recording of Bluesy nickering )

Your Feets Too Big

Stardust

Imagination

All of Me

Button Up Your Overcoat

You're The Cream In My Coffee

Charleston!! - this song makes me wanna dance.

Black Bottom - ditto

okay okay, just one more...

Coquette

Favorites? Share em!
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

YES YES YES!!!!!! There is a great station out of Virginia that I get on Itunes. It is just brilliant.

I came to love it all while I worked hospice. Many of my clients loved to listen to the music of their youth, so I had my ipod loaded with great music from the 20's, 30's and 40's.

Yes and classical and or chamber music..
    Prior to my Ipod getting stolen I had an ecectic choice of music. from things from that time frame to styx, etc...
    Friend of bar .ka

I'm a jazz and blues fan. Couldn't really name anyone though.

Bluesy: You should check out CKUA (www.ckua.com ) if you haven't already. Great variety of music and they play a lot from that era and tons of jazz/blues ( friday nights are the best !)

SammerSin: Those don't sound familiar but will check them out. What type of music are they ?

P.

Big fan of the Big Band/Swing era. Lots of recordings, and many are on the old 78s. They're kinda scratchy, but they're still pleasing to the ear.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

My parent's era.
    That music was the background of my childhood.

Plus Dad worked for a distributor of Grundig(Majestic) and we had tons of promotional recordings.
    I have a pic of Dad posing with Dinah Washington next to the latest G/M "stereophonic" console system.
    All blonde wood in the height of 50s Moderne, Dad in his sharkskin finest, Dinah looking Fab in sweater, pencil skirt & heels.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

YES!

In fact for the past week, for reasons unknown, I have only been listening to CH 4 on the radio for 40's music.

Heard a rendition of "Old Man River" by Sinatra today that almost moved me to tears. I have the original Broadway tune downloaded, but Sinatra's version - and the sheer RESENTMENT in it - was breathtaking

Big Bands!!!!! Absolutely!
    We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!

When Radio Was has '30s, '40s, & '50s programming available through many local stations. There's a local station finder box in the right-hand column that will direct you to stations in your area.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Default Love it!

Love big band and absolutely love Stardust.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

I grew up on all forms of music, but adore Big Band and Swing music. My first album, at age 8, was Buddy Morrow and orchastra - Night Train.

Love, love, love Cole Porter and especially Ms Ella's version of Night and Day.

Sirus Radio 40's on 4, yup, yup.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Jeanne View Post
    Love big band and absolutely love Stardust.
    Every time I hear that, I think of War Of The Worlds. (No, I didn't her the original, but do have a recording of it. )
    John Adams

My two usual radio stations are both AM--Swing 1270, with all big band/swing, and another station that does all old country (Hank Williams Sr. and such). Although I also liked Nirvana and Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins and so on, when I was growing up I was just as likely to be playing Wanda Jackson or Johnny Paycheck or the Andrews Sisters while hanging out in my sulky teenage mood swings...

Have it on Dish Network and love playing it while bustling around the house with housework.

Was a real estate broker - one of my clients used to leave the blues on when staging her house for showings - very classy.

There also is a neat radio station in Portland ME, lower on the AM dial - that plays all kinds of "music from your life". Even heard "I Don't Want to Play in Your Yard" which my Grandmother used to sing all the time.

My mother is 97, and in a Sr Home, and they had a gal who didn't know where she was, but could she play that piano.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Yes to all those years. I think I have been reincarnated because I love that type music so much. They are so classic. No fake singing or music in those era's. Also I love the 50's and some 60's.

Doris Day. Love her voice and music and movies.

Many favorites I have.

This music to me is happy music. Great singing music.

The older the music the better.

I also love the really old bluegrass music. Cute tunes also.

ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!

It's funny but the older I grow, the more I like that music. Especially Garland.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Yay! Thanks for the website/radio tips! Mucho excited.

I am a complete music whore, and my music is all over the place, but this era is definitely my fave!
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

Grew up listening to nothing but big bands/standards. My former BO's dad played with the Glen Miller Band and has old recordings made during their informal jam sessions.

I love how everyone was so dressed up back then, and I love the 20s! I think I had a past life then. Love the clothes, hair, and the Art Deco style.