The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Contemplating the Dr or the ER....pelvic pain *UPDATE, post #23

To start off, I am a young adult woman. A couple weeks ago, out of nowhere, I woke up at night and had horrible heartburn and acid reflux. I tried to take Tums with no relief. Within 10 minutes, I was in the bathroom and threw up 6 times. VERY unusual...I haven't thrown up in over 10 years. I had not had anything unusual recently, nor had I felt sick. I hadn't eaten anything spicy or anything that would induce heartburn. Since around that time, I've had naseua with the worst being in the evening. It has been tolerable until the past few days where I now often feel a slight urge to vomit, but haven't. When that happens, I just remove myself from the area with the sound or sight that starts it.

The part I am concerned about is that for the past couple weeks I've felt much more bloated than ever before and in general "heavier". My weight has gone up a couple pounds and while I am nowhere near overweight (it has increased from 115-117, to around 120/122 in the past couple weeks), it's just strange because I haven't changed eating habits. The past couple days I have felt a pressure/dull pushing/stabbing pain in the center of my pelvis/lower abdomen. It doesn't hurt to walk or anything, but it is sore/a little painful and tender. Last night it felt like the sides of my pelvis felt swollen.

I thought maybe it was stomach pains and tried a hot shower, which always helps, but it did nothing. Perhaps even hurt it a little bit more. As of now, I still have the pain/fullness in my pelvis and it will not go away!

Since it is the day after Christmas, my Ob gyn office is closed and I'm in the process of trying to find a new primary care doctor (mine are definitely below adaquete). I really want to find out what's going on, but I think if I go to a regular doctor they'll just refer me to get xrays, which you typically have to schedule an appointment for and I'll wait for weeks before they actually call me with the results. For that reason, I think it may be better to go to the ER where they can x-ray me right then and there and get the results within a few hours to me. I just don't know if this is too "minor" to go there.

I am on the pill (although I admit I haven't taken it on schedule like I should) and am not expecting my "period" (withdrawal bleeding) for another week and a half. I hardly cramp on my period anymore and if I do, it begins the day before, so this can't be it. My last "period" was a little later arriving than usual (strange because it usually comes on time with taking the pill) and much lighter and shorter. But I've read it's not an actual period, just the withdrawal bleeding that occurs when stopping the pill every month for a few days. It does not feel like menstrual cramping either.

I had an ovarian cyst two years ago while on a generic birth control that I went to the ER for...there was sharp stabbing pain that got worse over the period of three days, but it felt much different from this and was over on the very left of me. I had trouble walking or relaxing because of that intense pain, but it isn't the same as this so I don't think that's the cause. Apparently you aren't supposed to even get cysts while on birth control and that is why they switched me to the brand name I am on now, so another reason why that probably isn't it.

I'm just confused, achy, and anxious to know what's wrong! Any ideas as to what this is and if I should just go ahead to the ER?
    Last edited by LetsJump; Jan. 1, 2012 at 03:13 AM.

Take this with a grain of salt, but everything you described just screams "pregnant!" to me. I admittedly have never been pregnant, but that was my first thought.

Why not go buy an at-home test just to see?

I am not a doctor.

But, better safe than sorry. What if it is nothing? the downside is you've spent $$$ and some time. What if it is something, but you don't go? You could be, um, dead. So, in my cost-benefit analysis, better go.

What if it is a bleeding ulcer? My friend had that, though didn't know it, (though with hindsight felt full/bloated) and almost died when it suddenly bled and he lost consciousness.

Not at all saying that's what you have, of course, but if you are anxious I vote check it out. (And, since you don't have a doctor available, yes, go to the ER)

PS we spent half the night at the ER last night for my husband, who, it turned out, was having his first ever asthma attack at age 56. But we didn't know what was going on earlier, or that it was so serious. Thank goodness a relative urged us to go to the hospital, and quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Take this with a grain of salt, but everything you described just screams "pregnant!" to me. I admittedly have never been pregnant, but that was my first thought.

Why not go buy an at-home test just to see?
    My thoughts too, and I have 2 kids.

If you're in a lot of pain, go to an ER or urgent care. A pregnancy test will probably be one of the first things they will do.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Based on how you are feeling and the anxiety you are expressing, I would say go to the ER or Urgent Care facility. Now.

If you have any discomfort, don't wait.

Fingers crossed that it's something simple, but please go find out.

Bring a good book or your laptop though because chances are you will be there for a while. Hopefully you have someone you can also call to come "hold your hand".
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Sounds like pregnancy to me too and I have been pregnant. Either way you need to go to the doctor as soon as you can. Is there an Urgent Care in your area? Might be quicker than an ER if you can't get in to see your doctor.

I wanted to add that since your issue is abdominal they would probably do an ultrasound before xrays and you would get results pretty quickly. At any rate, GO.

Any chance you are pregnant? The other symptoms scream pregnancy while the pain could be an ectopic pregnancy.

I would go to the ER or another Dr. that is open today. Always better safe then sorry.....

Any chance you are pregnant?

I would make an appointment right away, regardless. I have had Kaiser all my life - it's super easy for me to get what I need, really - so I won't be much help about ER vs regular doctor. My general rule of thumb is that if I feel it's life-threatening, I go to the ER; if not, it's either Urgent Care or regular doc.

But if there's a chance you're pregnant, it's possible you have an ectopic pregnancy, and that's life-threatening. I'd vote ER in that case.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

I agree, ectopic pregnancy is possible if you are sexually active and inconsistent with your pills

Gall Bladder disease/ blockage can present with pain refered to the lower right quarter. Often confused with ovarian pain.

both require ultrasound and ectopic pregnancy is an emergency
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Go to the ER now! Stop trying to diagnose your self and get to the ER before you find out you have (pick one) appendicitis, gall bladder, kidney stones or infection, ulcer, colitis, pregnancy or other female problem, or who knows what that got worse because you delayed. The ER will do xrays or ultrasounds, and labs and find out what's wrong today. And then go doctor shopping at your leisure, and then find someone you like, but get to the ER this second.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I agree with some of the pregnant comments...pain could be round ligament pain and the uterus stretching. Take an early pregnancy test, I found out 3 or 4 days before my period was due that I was pregnant.

While you are at the grocery store, buy one of those at home UTI tests too. They are the same the Dr uses. So at least you can rule out pregnancy and infection on your own

If you are not taking your birth control as it is supposed to be taken than you could very well be pregnant. I would go to the ER as soon as you can. Tell them first off ( they always ask) about the possibility of being pregnant. The pelvic pain and pressure would be scary for me and that in itself is enough to go.

Thank you everyone- I am off to the Urgent Care Center! I will update when I return.

Does your OB/GYN have a PA/midwife/doctor-on-call you could phone? Just because the office is closed doesn't mean someone can't triage you and suggest the best course of action.

My appendicitis started out as an off/on pain in the "right lower quadrant." It was most troublesome at night and would wake me. I threw up 3 times during a week period, but nothing intense or consistent.

Finally ended up in the ER with HORRIBLE pain and non-stop vomiting...

They said the appendix looked like I had a prior attack that was trying to heal and then the current blockage and die-off of tissue.

Good Luck - hope you got some answers at the redi-center!!

I hope you are ok... Exact same symptoms I had when my appendix burst. Yuck.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

That sounds either like pregnancy or something screwing with the hormones to mimic pregnancy (appendicitis would *probably* be accompanied by a fever, though my father's only symptoms were some reactive pain in the side--however as a pro hypochondriac I will say, my doctor said that if your...um...lower digestive tract is still active, gut sounds we'd say in horses, and things are still...um...passing...then it is probably NOT appendicitis.)

Gall bladder could definitely explain the heartburn. But probably not the 'full' feeling. An ectopic pregnancy, ovarian cyst, fibroids (though it seems sudden onset for those), pelvic inflammatory disease...hope that it's something mild!

As an ER RN, I'm thinking preggo! Congrats if you are!!
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com