The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Show me your tack room

Anybody proud of their tack room and willing to share some pics??? Looking for ideas to spruce up my tack room and get things super organized. Also wondering if anyone has opinions on painting or putting stain on the walls.

At the end of October my husband and I put up 6" insulation and 1/2" plywood walls (and painted them) and put down laminate flooring over the original concrete floor in my tack room. We bought the underlayment and flooring at the Habitat Store......cost me less than $100. The plywood and insulation probably cost somewhere around $150. Everything else we had. The off-white paint was left over from some house project and the blue was from a sample jar. Mounted some pegboard to hang bits and other things, hung two rotating 6-bridle racks, a 4-saddle rack, and a hook for my long-lining equipment. There's a weatherproof trunk for sheets/blankets that are "in season", a small trunk for the driving harness, and a big Rubbermaid cabinet for other stuff. Other sheets and blankets are in multiple other trunks in storage over the feed room. It's not fancy, it's didn't cost us much, and I love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tackroom3.jpg 
Views:	739 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	34638   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tackroom2.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	34639   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tackroom1.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	34640  

1 members found this post helpful.

Since we board at a private residence farm and not a boarding facility and since we have the entire place to ourselves, we do things differently. We use the heated tack room as a lounge and we keep our tack in an area by the stalls.

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/a...nn/026-1-1.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/a...zinn/030-1.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/a...zinn/032-2.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/a...zinn/033-1.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/a...zinn/027-1.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/a...nn/029-1-1.jpg

I self-care board at private farm, too, so had to get creative. We converted a small/narrow stall into a track "room" but it's all open air since it's a giant pole/hay barn.

We have a small fridge, commercial coffee maker (for instant hot water) and use a giant non-working chest freezer for grain storage.

For all my tack and supplies, I designed and Mr. C'Mare built me a Tack Closet (interior) .... exterior.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Our tackroom right now is a spare room behind the garage, across from the barn:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...2-20-07280.jpg

Im too embarassed to show a picture. Let me reorganize, relabel and sweep first! You wouldn't be able to tell what is what!

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    For all my tack and supplies, I designed and Mr. C'Mare built me a Tack Closet (interior) .... exterior.
    I love this tack closet! Good job Mr. C'Mare!

Thanks!!! I loff it!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

ASB I like that flooring.

My tack room is really nice but I want to do some upgrades this spring. Planning on paneling and staining the walls, mostly. Didn't think about doing something to the floor. It's just painted concrete with a cheap throw rug on it.

How level was the floor? How did you install the laminate? What kind is it and what sort of underpayment did you use? How is it holding up to barn type traffic?

Thanks!!

My tack room is just 12x12. Upper and lower kitchen cabinets on the left, with lower cabinets continuing around the corner to the right, with a sink in the middle. Over the sink is a window. Tack is hanging on the right. Above the cabinets are storage boxes for blankets and whatnot. Feed bins are under the cabinets to the left when you walk inside. Also have a small fridge and microwave. A stool and an ottoman to sit on.
    I got the cabinets at home depot. Just builder grade, nothing fancy. Seating I purchased at a thrift store. Tack room is climate controlled and insulated.
    Last edited by JSwan; Jan. 3, 2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Ours is a converted milk house and has saddle racks on the walls (4 saddles per) plus a wooden rack in the center w/ a bin underneath. Floor is concrete w/ a drain, walls are block, ceiling is board. Two 4 prong tack hooks for bridles and then the entire back wall is the bridle's normal hangout. Various pegs and hooks for extra stuff (reins, martingales, nosebands, bits, you name it are along the east wall. There's a small dorm sized fridge for things that need it and then trunks line the walls.

There are few photos on FB in this album. Sorry I have to do night barn and don't have time to resize them!

I will LOVE looking at these pix! thanks for the thread!
    all of them are so creative and personal to the different barns.
    Mine is as well....our little two stall barn aisleway is the 'tack room' so to speak. Matted aisleway. Window. counter with cabinets below, small refrig, and shelf above. Then, a corner 'wardrobe' type tack box...that I'm in the process of outfitting with saddle racks, etc. It will have to do!
    http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=100_0154.jpg
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

My tack room is triangular. It slices off one corner of our longeing arena and opens into a 12x12 cross tie area.

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q...nd%20Tackroom/

Thanks everyone!!! Keeping them coming!!! I really appreciate all the inspiration!!!

ASB- I too love your floor!!! Is this a pretty easy do-it-yourself project if you are pretty handy???

Also still curious about thoughts on painting or staining walls. I have raw wood. Worried about how the stain would turn out but thinking if I paint would want it to be light and then may show dirt more than what I have now. I will try to post pics and maybe that be helpful for you guys to make suggestions.

We bought our farm with the barn already built. I had the previous owner leave everything. I like it fine but would have done some things differently if I could have started from scratch. So trying to decide if worth the time and expense to take stuff down and redo some things and how to better arrange it to make the most use out of the space.

I can't download pictures but if you go to our website you can see our tack room.
    When we have people come to visit or meet us we are proud to show our tack room and their comments are usually the same " This looks like someones room in a house" It is air-conditioned. We have a refridgerator for the boarders.

www.flynhoofsstables.com

Our tack room has the wood walls also, and I don't want to paint them, I like the warm feeling the wood gives. I love the pic with the laminate flooring, but how well does that work out in a non-climate controlled area? We just put some down in our house and it came with all kinds of precautions about high humidity affecting the floor and making it warp, etc.

For bridles, helmets and the other stuff that we hang in the aisle my husband built these this summer.

http://terraoasis.wordpress.com/2011...ets-installed/

Initially, I had saddle storage upstairs, but when I decided that 7 horses was too many, I converted the 7th stall to a tack stall and moved the saddle racks downstairs to the spare stall. No pictures of that.

Those cabinets are SO NICE! I've already dragged Mr. TBROCKS over to the laptop to check them out as a potential project. He's busy this week with putting stall mats in but I digress....Cute blog, too ETA love your arena light idea!
    Last edited by TBROCKS; Jan. 3, 2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: added

I board out at a private barn with a friend and her daughter and because our tack trunks were so large we were given an empty stall to use and it fits all 3 of our armoire's great. All of us have trunks that are similar to the tack closet that was posted above just not as big, I don't think. My friend's husband made her's and her daughters but I converted mine from a tv armoire. It's almost 7 feet tall and has 3 different compartments. I am able to fit 2 saddle racks (one on top of the other) and a rack to hang my halters, leads etc. Once I have my doors reinforced I will put bridle racks on my doors. I have slide out drawers and I fit the majority of the tack I own in it comfortably. Also I had a new bottom and back put on it as well as locking castors so that it is easy to move. In total it was about $300 between the price of the armoire and the upgrades I did to it. ( I bought it off of craigslist). The actual boarder tack room has a full size fridge, microwave and coffee maker. We also have a heated bathroom (in the process of making it bigger where we hang bridles. The owner of the barn is very artistic and in the bathroom she has stenciled an entire wall with all of the horses names that have passed through her place. She has also started a sign wall that all of the boarders have started contributing to. It's a really easy way to make a room interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    ASB I like that flooring.

How level was the floor? How did you install the laminate? What kind is it and what sort of underpayment did you use? How is it holding up to barn type traffic?

Tack room is climate controlled and insulated.
    Thanks! The concrete was there when we moved in, and was fairly level. We bought the underlayment at the Habitat Store also, and it was very cheap (I think I included it in my price, and the room is about 11x12). It was a moisture barrier/pad combo....sorry I don't remember the exact specs of the product, but it wasn't anything fancy.

You're ahead of me on one thing - my room is not climate controlled and is only insulated behind the walls we put up. I chose not to have DH put up a drop ceiling to enclose the room from the rest of the barn. I didn't want it to feel smaller - as a result, it is still very exposed to temperature and moisture fluctuations. The rest of the barn is not insulated with the exception of DH's shop on the other side.

The floor still looks brand new, and that's saying something because the door opens right into the tack room, so that's our main entrance. We've also had significant water leakage through that door and through the jamb during a couple storms this fall. The water pooled and sat, once for at least 24 hours because we were gone. Not a mark on the floor after we cleaned up. I thought for sure it would be warped.

Quote Originally Posted by mactanscott View Post
    ASB- I too love your floor!!! Is this a pretty easy do-it-yourself project if you are pretty handy???

Also still curious about thoughts on painting or staining walls. I have raw wood. Worried about how the stain would turn out but thinking if I paint would want it to be light and then may show dirt more than what I have now.

We bought our farm with the barn already built.
    The laminate was very easy. A few hours' work. Cut the underlayment with a utility knife and cut the laminate to fit with a miter saw.

As you can see in my pics, I used light paint and haven't noticed any dirt on the walls.

Our barn was already built too, but not much was done with it. We've had fun upgrading the stall fronts, building a hay loft, enclosing a shop for DH, doing this tack room project this fall.....I hope to do something similar to the tack room in my feed room this coming year.

Quote Originally Posted by TBROCKS View Post
    Our tack room has the wood walls also, and I don't want to paint them, I like the warm feeling the wood gives. I love the pic with the laminate flooring, but how well does that work out in a non-climate controlled area? We just put some down in our house and it came with all kinds of precautions about high humidity affecting the floor and making it warp, etc.
    See above in my response to Jswan - I think many of the warnings are CYAs. Ask me in a year.....but I'm really happy with the $100-120 I spent on the laminate + underlayment so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpingrules92 View Post
    Im too embarassed to show a picture. Let me reorganize, relabel and sweep first! You wouldn't be able to tell what is what!

Haha, me too. My boarders' tack room looksl ike a tornado went through it right now, the kids are just now back to school after the holidays....time to go in and sweep and pick up.

My tackroom with my training/lesson stuff.....I need to put a ceiling on it, I am tired of the dust and cobwebs that keep getting on my tack.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch