The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sleep number bed vs Temperpedic

Saw that there were lots of complaints about the SN bed having problems with mold, broken parts, large dip in the center of the split bed design, etc. Anyone have one? Complaints?

Temper beds supposedly get hot. Comments?

I was considering buying one of these, but hate to spend a bunch of money on something that won't last a few yrs, and be comfortable.

We have a sleep number bed and absolutely love it!!! Without it, I think my back/neck problems would be a whole lot worse! I like my side more firm than my SO does so we each get what we like.

Only complaint I have it yes, the middle of the bed does have a 'ditch' in it. I did have SN send me a new foam piece to put there but it still is a little bit of a problem. But not enough to get a different bed!

My SO had a Temperpedic before and he said it was VERY HOT and he nicknamed the bed a 'human fly paper bed'. He said he would lay down and couldn't roll over or move.

The best thing is to try both out at the store then figure out what you need/want. I believe the SN beds still come with a 90 day return policy if you don't like the bed.

I had a Sleep Number bed for about a year before going back to a traditional mattress. I HATED the SN for all of the reasons you listed. The "dip" in the middle made for some awkward "couple" moments for DH and me.

We also had mold in the air lines. I ended up giving the bed to my mom and she inflated it to where she wanted it, then disconnected the lines with the caps that came with the bed and put the pump and lines in a closet.

The dip isn't an issue for her since the only body she shares the bed with is her dog, but even she says she can't wait until she can afford to get a new "normal" bed.

I've slept in Temperpedic beds many times. I love them for comfort, but they are hot.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

I have read about the Tempurpedic beds being hot, but I've honestly never noticed this with mine and I tend to get hot easily. I've had mine for 5-6 years and love it. Definitely try one out in the store first though, I think they are one of those, "you either love them, or hate them" kind of things.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Default I have a SN

No real problems with the bed itself. [How do you know if there is mold in the lines?] I have had mine for a few years. I have problems with my pillows-not SN- and keep weird hours so it is difficult to sleep. The bed is very comfy, but I like it FIRM. I have it cranked up high and leave it there.
    Another killer of threads

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    No real problems with the bed itself. [How do you know if there is mold in the lines?] I have had mine for a few years. I have problems with my pillows-not SN- and keep weird hours so it is difficult to sleep. The bed is very comfy, but I like it FIRM. I have it cranked up high and leave it there.
    The air lines on mine were clear. You could see little white fuzzies growing in them.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

We have had a SleepNumber for years and until recently, I was relatively pleased with it. But in the last year, I had to add an extra memory foam topper to my side for comfort and it's been inconsistent in keeping my "number" on my "number".

I'm honestly considering going to a memory foam mattress soon if we can determine if it will be comfortable for my other half who does mind the heat and also prefers a much, much softer bed than me. While Tempurpedic will obviously be considered, there are other options that are better priced, too. And the new Sealy iComfort supposedly "runs cooler", so it will also be checked out.

We have had our sleep number for 10 years and I absolutely love it..Made the biggest difference in my neck. After 8 years we did have to replace the air pump, but they sent it to us and no charge. I would not sleep on anything else if I had the choice. As far as the dip, my hubby and I sleep with completely different settings...it is a no brainer to adjust it, and quick to when we are doing things besides sleeping.

We have a memory foam mattress pad on top of a traditional mattress and it's been great. We're looking at getting a new one soon, and they're only about $100.
    Life-long horse lover, dreaming of the day when I have one of my very own.

We've got a Temperpedic. It is hot, but once I adjusted to it, not a problem. I have a harder time with the Temperpedic material pillow and heat.

One thing I don't like about it is that ours has developed a bit of hump in the middle as apparently there is a dip where each of us typically sleeps. I don't really remember how old it is, but I'd guess about 5 years.

Default IIRC

aren't the Sleep numbers GUARENTEED for up to 20 years? Did anyone here ever have to replace the matress? How were they treated?
    Another killer of threads

they are guaranteed, and when the air pump on mine went up, the replaced it right away with no problems what so ever...great customer service with us.

I have the Sealy iComfort and LOVE it. Never noticed it sleeping hot at all, so I think whatever they did fixed the "hot" issue from the Temperpedic. Worth every penny.

We have the Tempur-Pedic and love it. Don't like the pillows - they feel hot and heavy. We don't think our mattress is hot. There is a slight ridge in the center, but it isn't a problem, although I do enjoy sleeping on it when DH is traveling. We've probably had it 4 years or so. Maybe more.

We tried the SN in the store. It felt rather like a waterbed to me - I didn't like it.

We paid extra for the adjustable frame, and every night we are glad we have that. We thought we might use it when one of us has a bad cold, but we sleep with slight elevation and when DH snores, well I just raise it up until he stops.

Between the adjustable position and the support, it's challenging to sleep on anything else.

Sleep Number all the way. Have had one for 8-9 years, absolutely no complaints. It sure helped my wife's "iffy" bad back.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Love love love my Tempurpedic. DH is really hot blooded and the obly time we get hot is when we try and sleep with the kids in the Cali king with us all night. I think the knock offs have a different cell type foam, and they get hot. I love the way it forms and supports. I don't like the pillows though
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

What "firmness" levels of Tempurpedics does everyone have? And do you and SO have different levels, i.e., two separate mattresses? We're debating making a change.

Our SN bed is very noisy. It sits on a plastic decking base that squeaks whenever either of us moves or rolls over, much to DD's mortification. We got some retrofit parts from Select Comfort that were supposed to solve the problem, but it didn't. We also verryy slowly loose air pressure and have to reinflate once a year or so, but our bed is about 14-15 years old. The foam strip between the two mattresses needs to be replaced, but it is really old for foam.

For the love of foam! I LOVE our Tempurpedic. I never get pressure points. I usually wake up in the exact same position I went to sleep in because I was so comfortable. I travel a lot for work and a chain of some Marriott brand hotels decided to do all Sleep Number beds for a while thinking they would win over the business traveler.

I couldn't get comfortable in the SN bed.. I felt like there was a huge wall in the middle of the bed. I can only imagine what it would be like trying to do extracurricular activites with that wall. My SO and I sleep like a string of Christmas lights..all twisted and tangled up together. It would drive me crazy to have a big foam wall between us in bed.

I'm 5'10 and 135 pounds. SO is 5'6 and 115 pounds and has back/neck/shoulder issues. We both sleep really well. I've had my Tempurpedic for at least 5 years, no dips, no humps, not hot, just perfection. We don't use the pillows. Also, there are all different kinds of Tempurpedic matresses out there now with different density foam toppers, etc. They have all kinds of fancy names. I have the fairly traditional one, whatever it's called.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    What "firmness" levels of Tempurpedics does everyone have? And do you and SO have different levels, i.e., two separate mattresses? We're debating making a change.
    DH says that wasn't an option when we bought ours. It was firmer than the store model, but obviously hadn't been used. But it wasn't "hard." Over a few weeks or so it softened somewhat. But even new it wasn't uncomfortable. There was some out-gassing. The mattress cover is important to the warranty and I think it kept us more comfortable.

IIRC there is a fairly long try-out period. If you have an air mattress, you could store it in the garage for a while while you try out the Tempur-Pedic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post

Our SN bed is very noisy. It sits on a plastic decking base that squeaks whenever either of us moves or rolls over, much to DD's mortification. We got some retrofit parts from Select Comfort that were supposed to solve the problem, but it didn't. We also verryy slowly loose air pressure and have to reinflate once a year or so, but our bed is about 14-15 years old. The foam strip between the two mattresses needs to be replaced, but it is really old for foam.
    I absolutely love my Sleep Number bed. I didn't want to spend the money on the plastic base that Sleep Number sells (it seemed ridiculously expensive for some plastic), so I had my boyfriend make one for me ($80 total for the lumber and nails). He attached it to the headboard I already had and it has not made a peep in the 5 years that I've had it.