The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jump standard parts, how salable?

I've had a marketing idea and would like to know what you
    think. If you were interested in making your own schooling jump standards, would you be interested in purchasing a treated 4x4 which had the holes already drilled in it? I think these would be limited to 4' height in order to be shipped via package delivery (UPS, etc) or US Post Office. Do you have
    any opinion about what you would consider a fair price for each drilled treated 4x4? Would you offer precut treated 2x6 pieces for the base or suggest customers buy those locally?
    I have not talked the DH into doing this yet, just trying to figure out if there is any market.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

I'd check into shipping-the cost passed on to the customer might seriously outweigh the convenience factor of not having to drill holes. But I'm probably not your target market to begin with- I love building things, and am as frugal as my Scottish ancestors!
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

If you predrilled the bases too, and included the bolts so it was kind of an IKEA standard kit, with no nails or cutting needed, I could see this being saleable. I would want the entire standard though, not just the posts.

drill completely through end to end then insert all thread that can be tightened up... you can make standards of any height and still ship within the length limitations

the all thread could even be cut down and reassembled using threaded couplers

I would be concerned about treated pine as it does have a tendency to rotate as it dries… what about western cedar or cypress?

Cypress is nearly indestructible, not too expensive and is naturally rot resistant
    http://www.jimmys-cypress.com/produc...wn_Beams-.aspx

I agree with cedar or cypress. You want something durable, but the lightest weight possible (to keep shipping costs down). Those PT'd pine 4x4's can be pretty darn heavy until they dry out!
    Cindy

The daughter of some friends of ours put herself through college making jumps.
    I don't think she mailed them, we live in a horsey part of the country and people just bought the complete standards and painted poles.

I think it could be, because drilling the through holes in the 4x4s squarely and accurately is the hardest part of the operation, and requires serious tools. Like the others, I'd suggest you supply all the parts, so that people aren't scrounging for the rest. It needs to be a simple and fulfilling experience - you get the kit, roll out some paint, get the drill out and voila!

The problem is making it affordable after shipping.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

The key question to ask is what are people paying / would they pay for this product? Price out the lumber, tools, and how much time each unit would take to make. What is your labor rate-- would you be happy to make $10/hr on these things? $50/hr? If you find yourself shrugging on what you think you should earn, sometimes helpful to describe the "salary" in terms of a financial goal. i.e. I expect this income to pay for my horse's monthly board. Or a more modest goal of buying a new saddle or something equivalent each year. Add up your costs, the annual salary you expect, and make a table showing the price point if you make 100 standards a year, 1000 stds a year, etc. This will help you approach a few stable owners to gauge the market potential by saying, "if I could supply standards at $50 each, would that be interesting?" etc etc.
    Another key question is whether they'd be ordered in small qtys, or would it be more typical for a farm to order a set of 20 pairs, or whatever. Would you plan to make them all in advance (=risk of inventory cost tha tyou can't sell!!) or can you commit the time to producing a whole set in the short time they'd want?
    Last edited by HungarianHippo; Jan. 2, 2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: hit "post" b4 I was done

I can't see 4' ones being big sellers. UPS will certainly take 5' or 6' long ones, but maybe you already know that and there is a big price difference.

These guys sell diy parts so there must be some market. http://www.jumpsusa.com/Schooling-Standards_c_26.html

Making 10 sets and seeing if they can sell on ebay for a worthwhile profit might be an easy experiment.

If $75 is a common price for complete unpainted pairs of standards, I think you'd need to be somewhere between that and the cost of a 4x4 at Home Depot.
    http://www.jumpyard.com/standards.html

Maybe aiming at people who want to build fancier wings might be more interesting.