The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Online Tack Stores?

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good and reliable tack stores that are online. We have one "tack" store where I live (fairly recent move) but it is really more of a feed store that sells the occasional horsey item. I have heard of Dover, but that's the only one I really know of, and I'd rather get your opinions than from a Google search
    You're trying to do something normal people wouldn't do because they're terrified they might fail. -Boyd Martin

I love Smartpak. I used to be a diehard Dover fan, but I'll only order from them if Smartpak doesn't have what I want now. I've also had good luck with Bit of Britain.
    "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
    ~George Morris

I know a lot of people have snarked about horseloverz, but I've never had a problem with them and they often have really good prices.

That said, I typically wait until they have a "dollar dayz" sale (usually around most major holidays, it seems) and/or free shipping offers before I order from them.

I tend to stock up on the $5 draft-sized halters when they have them and the under-$5 lead ropes and that sort of thing. Got a bunch of $5 saddle pads one time too and a some really nice $10 winter turnout blankets (no, seriously). Oh, and a decent schooling bridle for $10.

But for actual show-stuff and big pricey things, I'd probably check out Smartpak or somewhere else.

I also like bigdweb.com. I've gotten a couple things from them I haven't seen elsewhere.

and Valley Vet is good too.

Chick's Saddlery is another "get your basic discounted stuff here" kind of place.

And I got stall guards from Jeffers Equine for the lowest price I've seen for them anywhere.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

My favorites are smartpak, legacy tack, adams horse supplies and victory canter.
    Other's I've used but only use if the other's on't have what I need are over, VTO saddlerly, and Bit of Britain. Dover has iffy customer service and ridiculously high shipping. Bit of britain and VTO have high prices compared to other places.

Jeffers!

jeffersequine.com

Super customer service, free shipping (I think over $60), fast shipping

Anyone knows good online tack shops that are Europe based?

I am loving Schneiders for all things blankets sstack.com

And of course smartpack for everything else. I haven't had an issue with Dover, but they have to have a REALLY good price on something before I'll pay their shipping.
    ==================
    Somehow my inner ten year old seems to have stolen my chequebook!

http://reriderandpony.blogspot.com/

Niennor,

Have you checked out Pink Equine? I've bought one of their bridles in the past (it was on sale and even with the shipping from the UK to the US and the exchange rate it was a really good deal).
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Quote Originally Posted by Niennor View Post
    Anyone knows good online tack shops that are Europe based?
    Niennor, I know other COTHers have ordered from Amira in the past, for better deals on European brands, though I have no personal experience with them. They're UK based. Personally, when in France I've shopped at PADD Tack, though I've not ordered from their website.

Otherwise, OP, I'd second the recommendations of SmartPak, Bit of Britain, and VTO. I've also had very good experiences with EquusNow and regularly stalk TackoftheDay.com, which is done through Bit of Britain. I've gotten good deals from both of them. I will occasionally buy things in person at the Dover stores near me, but won't order from the catalog, as the shipping costs negate any savings I might get from them.

I think it depends on what you are looking for.
    Smartpak is good but I don't look there for everything. VTO Saddlery, Chicks Saddlery are some other options. Obviously Dover, Stateline Tack.
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

Another vote for Smartpak.