The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Compuiter prob curser randomly repositioning while typing

It makes it very hard to post. (example sentance) eral words at random. moves back sev cursor You are in the middle of a sentance and the

I am not touching the mouse and we have run malwarebytes and spybot search and destroy and they
    both came back clean.

Help

This happens to mine frequently. IT is very frustrating, but i do not know the cause of it. Hopefully someone can tell us both!

Are you using a laptop? This will happen to me if I am careless when typing on my laptop and drop my hands down onto the track pad under the keyboard. If you don't use the trackpad, you can disable it in settings, or cover it with light cardboard.

I've also noticed that my cursor will drift if my wireless mouse is low on batteries.

Like Simkie mentioned, check the batteries if you are using a wireless mouse. If you're using a corded mouse...it might be on it's way out. Similarly, the touchpads on laptops can either crap out, or need to be recalibrated, which you can do yourself in Control Panel.

Also, if you're on an older Dell laptop....get used to it. I forget which models it was (in the 4-year old range), but some had a bug in them that made the cursor jump around, and there was never any fix discovered, by Dell or others. I borrowed a laptop from someone once and was plagued with the issue, and commented on it when I returned it..."Oh, THAT'S why we retired it. Right, sorry!"

If you use a wireless mouse, check for cat hair in front of the laser - you can pull it out with a pair of tweezers or a q-tip - happens to me all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ellebeaux View Post
    If you use a wireless mouse, check for cat hair in front of the laser - you can pull it out with a pair of tweezers or a q-tip - happens to me all the time
    That happens to me, too. I use a very thin artist's brush.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

There is a fix for it. Search the web, dell laptop cursor jumps around. My work laptop did that and drove me crazy. Searched the web, downloaded a fix and no more cursor jumping around.

I've had that happen before, but a simple reboot has always corrected it.

Generally, the cause seems to be me leaving my laptop open and one of my cats deciding it makes a good butt warmer...
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Dell laptops ARE notorious for it - mine got so bad that I switched to a wireless keyboard and mouse.

If you are using a trackerball, (e.g. the mouse doesn't move, but you move the big [sometimes red] ball with your thumb), the sensors may be dirty.

I have a really old trackerball that has screws on the bottom. I just unscrew it, pull out the trackerball and clean the sensors with a Q-tip coated with alcohol.

Some of the newer trackerballs don't have to be unscrewed. The ball will pop out if you tug on it. You can then clean the sensors.

FYI - I also have a Dell laptop for work and the trackpad is notorious for jumping the cursor. That is why I use an attached trackerball and a keyboard. I hate the trackpad.

My personal MacBook Air does NOT have this problem. I love Mac!
    Proud member of the Clean Horse, Dirty House Clique! Founder of the Goodbye Fat, Hello Muscle Clique!

5 is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Yes it is a dell.

I have noticed it started when I had the keyboard replaced in Aug or so.

Default Dell

I bought a new one in July, and the touchpad was horrendous. It would stop working out of the blue, and I would have to just shut down the computer to get it working again. After several calls to customer service, I had the whole keyboard replaced, and the problem persisted. Did an exchange, and the problem still persisted. I'm getting a refund and ordering another brand now.