The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2008
    Location
    Where The Snow Flies
    Posts
    2,648

    Default Brenderup vs. the Blizzard...

    So yesterday I drove from my home in Western NY to the south end of Maryland to pick up a Brenderup Royal TC I found online. It was about 900 miles round trip and I had to go straight through the mountains. Fun, fun, fun. Well, the morning was beautiful and sunny, and we knew we were expecting a storm, but forcasters said it would be overnight starting at 11pm through this morning. We were on par to be home by 9pm. Well, we got word on our way back that the storm was coming sooner than expected and we started hitting nasty winds in North PA.

    I have to tell you, I am in LOVE with this trailer. Even with 50-60mph gusts, it was stable and didn't dance. I have hauled empty trailers that bounce everywhere but I hardly knew the brenderup was back there. The truck took it up the mountains without issue, and even when we were on the north-south roads and taking the cross winds I had no problem with it.

    We crawled home once in NY, but only because of some whiteout conditions and slippery hills.

    The trailer is used, but in wonderful shape. It's had horses in it less than 10 times. Brand new tires on it too. The guy truly didn't know what he had, because he told me I could have it for $2,500. And that was worth driving through a blizzard for.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    $2500?!? Wow! Merry Christmas to you!!!!



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov. 28, 2009
    Location
    Garden Prairie, Illinois
    Posts
    240

    Default

    You scored a GREAT deal! Congrats!

    I want to upgrade my one-horse Solo to a 2-horse Brenderup model, now that I drive a Volvo XC90 SUV!
    Inese



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2008
    Location
    Where The Snow Flies
    Posts
    2,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldpony66 View Post
    $2500?!? Wow! Merry Christmas to you!!!!
    Funny enough, earlier in December I posted a link to a Brenderup for sale on eBay to my facebook wall saying "I'm putting this on my Christmas list." Merry Christmas to me is right! I'm not one to question a good deal so I made arrangements to go the next day to pick up. I didn't want to leave him time to change his mind!



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2000
    Posts
    1,222

    Default

    And that was worth driving through a blizzard for.
    For someone with your user name, I would expect no less.

    Congratulations!!



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug. 17, 2004
    Location
    Rixeyville, VA
    Posts
    6,773

    Default

    Congratulations! I have a Brenderup Royal TC that I will be selling soon, but it won't be going for anywhere close to $2500! I love these trailers. The only reason I am selling is because I needed a 3 horse (actually I need a GN stock trailer for about 10 horses, but that's not in the cards yet). I only wish Brenderup made bigger trailers because I would get one.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,786

    Default

    Dad's always said, he picked the Brenderup when we bought our own trailer because hauling it was almost like hauling nothing--no wobble, no drag, handles things like semis passing without feeling like it was going to drag you into the ditch. But even he never hauled through a blizzard! (When we get new tires on it, though, I'm totally bringing Lucky up for vacations.)



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2003
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    24,724

    Default

    Whoa, enormous Merry Christmas to you! That's an awesome deal! Congrats!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr. 20, 2010
    Location
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Posts
    2,824

    Default

    Indeed, Merry Christmas and glad you made it safe and sound.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul. 1, 2007
    Posts
    496

    Default

    That was a steal for that price! Congrats!



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov. 10, 2006
    Location
    Southern Finger Lakes of NY
    Posts
    1,736

    Default

    Well done on the deal and the drive! Welcome to the wonderful world of B'upsters!
    Foxwin Farm
    Home of The Bay Boy Wonder
    and other fine Morgan Sporthorses



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec. 15, 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    42

    Default

    What a Deal!!! Congratulations Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!! You will love your Brenderup!!! Your horses will too!!! I love mine, have had it for about 6 years, simply love it!!! Congrats again!!!



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2008
    Location
    Where The Snow Flies
    Posts
    2,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kalyssa View Post
    What a Deal!!! Congratulations Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!! You will love your Brenderup!!! Your horses will too!!! I love mine, have had it for about 6 years, simply love it!!! Congrats again!!!
    I love the trailer and we hauled our first horse in it Sunday morning. My friend used it to haul her show horse to a barn with an indoor for the winter. Well, my friend has an open stock trailer and that is what her mare is used to hauling in. Maresy did not like the brenderup AT ALL. She was a frothy, sweaty mess after 10 miles. It was a cold, snowy morning, but we popped the windows and dropped the top of the tailgate to keep air flowing once we saw how poorly she was doing. I found it strange that this horse has always hauled to shows quietly. Could it have been that she wasn't used to an enclosed trailer or a straight load? I was surprised as people always say how much their horses love them - even those that didn't used to haul well.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct. 27, 2011
    Posts
    44

    Default

    We once had a horse that was only comfortable in a stock trailer, untied no less. We had to sell our brenderup to accommodate his needs. Could be a similar situation with your friends horse. Some horses probably like the wind in their face :-).

    We bought a new brenderup in 2006, most horses love it, although it is sometimes a little scarier for horses loading the first time--taller ramp, seems more enclosed, etc.

    Good luck.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul. 17, 2008
    Location
    The Beach, Maryland
    Posts
    1,330

    Default

    I wish we still had our Brenderup - I think we got it used for around that price too, and it was virtually new.

    Our horses (and us!!) loved that trailer.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2010
    Posts
    574

    Default

    We've had Brenderups over the years. Only two of our horses over the years didn't like the Brenderup. They wouldn't load (when they walked right in every other trailer) and were sweaty and fussy when they arrived (this never happened in other trailers).

    Anyway, we ended up selling the Brenderup because of this.

    I truly think some horses just don't like the Brederups for whatever reason.
    Proud Native Texan!
    owned by 3 Cardigan Corgi's + 3 wonderful horses!



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb. 13, 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    It was a cold, snowy morning, but we popped the windows and dropped the top of the tailgate to keep air flowing once we saw how poorly she was doing.
    That alone could explain the horse's reaction: the Brenderup company does not advise hauling a horse with the tailgate up. Because of the Brenderup shape, hauling with the tailgate up can create a lot of noise/echo effect in the hauling compartment. So even when I've hauled in very dicey conditions, I close the front windows but haul with the rear tailgate down.

    If you closed the tailgate *and* closed the windows, meaning there was almost no air ventilation and a lot of echo/noise, I can see how that would freak a horse out. Especially a horse that's used to hauling in a stock trailer.

    I'm sure there are horses out there that genuinely hate Brenderups, just like there are horses that genuinely hate slant trailers or 2-horse straight loads etc. I even met a horse once who hated stock trailers (based on his reaction, it looked like he'd been hauled in very short stock trailers where he couldn't get his head up the way he liked--and being a horse, he irrationally came to associate that with all stock trailers.)
    ________________________
    Resident COTH saddle nerd. (CYA: Not a pro, just a long-time enthusiast!)
    http://twitter.com/jenlmichaels



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2008
    Location
    Where The Snow Flies
    Posts
    2,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    That alone could explain the horse's reaction: the Brenderup company does not advise hauling a horse with the tailgate up. Because of the Brenderup shape, hauling with the tailgate up can create a lot of noise/echo effect in the hauling compartment. So even when I've hauled in very dicey conditions, I close the front windows but haul with the rear tailgate down.

    If you closed the tailgate *and* closed the windows, meaning there was almost no air ventilation and a lot of echo/noise, I can see how that would freak a horse out. Especially a horse that's used to hauling in a stock trailer.

    I'm sure there are horses out there that genuinely hate Brenderups, just like there are horses that genuinely hate slant trailers or 2-horse straight loads etc. I even met a horse once who hated stock trailers (based on his reaction, it looked like he'd been hauled in very short stock trailers where he couldn't get his head up the way he liked--and being a horse, he irrationally came to associate that with all stock trailers.)
    I did not know that! Thank you very much for this info. Do you know if there is a "users manual" for the brenderups? Like hauling tips and such?



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar. 17, 2007
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    225

    Default can't haul with tailgate up?

    i did not know that. i have never left the tailgate down. i thought the road noise was scary to the horses, and they eneded up covered with dust from the road. just my habit.



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: Nov. 8, 2011, 06:52 PM
  2. The blizzard thread
    By dizzywriter in forum Off Course
    Replies: 362
    Last Post: Feb. 14, 2010, 02:06 AM
  3. Christmas Blizzard
    By SLW in forum Off Course
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Dec. 26, 2009, 02:34 AM
  4. There's a BLIZZARD a'coming!
    By LearnToFly in forum Off Course
    Replies: 240
    Last Post: Dec. 22, 2009, 08:40 AM
  5. Fun with blizzard pictures
    By LarkspurCO in forum Off Course
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Oct. 30, 2009, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •