The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Brenderup vs. the Blizzard...

So yesterday I drove from my home in Western NY to the south end of Maryland to pick up a Brenderup Royal TC I found online. It was about 900 miles round trip and I had to go straight through the mountains. Fun, fun, fun. Well, the morning was beautiful and sunny, and we knew we were expecting a storm, but forcasters said it would be overnight starting at 11pm through this morning. We were on par to be home by 9pm. Well, we got word on our way back that the storm was coming sooner than expected and we started hitting nasty winds in North PA.

I have to tell you, I am in LOVE with this trailer. Even with 50-60mph gusts, it was stable and didn't dance. I have hauled empty trailers that bounce everywhere but I hardly knew the brenderup was back there. The truck took it up the mountains without issue, and even when we were on the north-south roads and taking the cross winds I had no problem with it.

We crawled home once in NY, but only because of some whiteout conditions and slippery hills.

The trailer is used, but in wonderful shape. It's had horses in it less than 10 times. Brand new tires on it too. The guy truly didn't know what he had, because he told me I could have it for $2,500. And that was worth driving through a blizzard for.

$2500?!? Wow! Merry Christmas to you!!!!

You scored a GREAT deal! Congrats!

I want to upgrade my one-horse Solo to a 2-horse Brenderup model, now that I drive a Volvo XC90 SUV!
    Inese

Quote Originally Posted by oldpony66 View Post
    $2500?!? Wow! Merry Christmas to you!!!!
    Funny enough, earlier in December I posted a link to a Brenderup for sale on eBay to my facebook wall saying "I'm putting this on my Christmas list." Merry Christmas to me is right! I'm not one to question a good deal so I made arrangements to go the next day to pick up. I didn't want to leave him time to change his mind!

And that was worth driving through a blizzard for.
    For someone with your user name, I would expect no less.

Congratulations!!

Congratulations! I have a Brenderup Royal TC that I will be selling soon, but it won't be going for anywhere close to $2500! I love these trailers. The only reason I am selling is because I needed a 3 horse (actually I need a GN stock trailer for about 10 horses, but that's not in the cards yet). I only wish Brenderup made bigger trailers because I would get one.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Dad's always said, he picked the Brenderup when we bought our own trailer because hauling it was almost like hauling nothing--no wobble, no drag, handles things like semis passing without feeling like it was going to drag you into the ditch. But even he never hauled through a blizzard! (When we get new tires on it, though, I'm totally bringing Lucky up for vacations.)

Whoa, enormous Merry Christmas to you! That's an awesome deal! Congrats!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Indeed, Merry Christmas and glad you made it safe and sound.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

That was a steal for that price! Congrats!

Well done on the deal and the drive! Welcome to the wonderful world of B'upsters!
    Foxwin Farm
    Home of The Bay Boy Wonder
    and other fine Morgan Sporthorses

What a Deal!!! Congratulations Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!! You will love your Brenderup!!! Your horses will too!!! I love mine, have had it for about 6 years, simply love it!!! Congrats again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kalyssa View Post
    What a Deal!!! Congratulations Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!! You will love your Brenderup!!! Your horses will too!!! I love mine, have had it for about 6 years, simply love it!!! Congrats again!!!
    I love the trailer and we hauled our first horse in it Sunday morning. My friend used it to haul her show horse to a barn with an indoor for the winter. Well, my friend has an open stock trailer and that is what her mare is used to hauling in. Maresy did not like the brenderup AT ALL. She was a frothy, sweaty mess after 10 miles. It was a cold, snowy morning, but we popped the windows and dropped the top of the tailgate to keep air flowing once we saw how poorly she was doing. I found it strange that this horse has always hauled to shows quietly. Could it have been that she wasn't used to an enclosed trailer or a straight load? I was surprised as people always say how much their horses love them - even those that didn't used to haul well.

We once had a horse that was only comfortable in a stock trailer, untied no less. We had to sell our brenderup to accommodate his needs. Could be a similar situation with your friends horse. Some horses probably like the wind in their face :-).

We bought a new brenderup in 2006, most horses love it, although it is sometimes a little scarier for horses loading the first time--taller ramp, seems more enclosed, etc.

Good luck.

I wish we still had our Brenderup - I think we got it used for around that price too, and it was virtually new.

Our horses (and us!!) loved that trailer.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

We've had Brenderups over the years. Only two of our horses over the years didn't like the Brenderup. They wouldn't load (when they walked right in every other trailer) and were sweaty and fussy when they arrived (this never happened in other trailers).

Anyway, we ended up selling the Brenderup because of this.

I truly think some horses just don't like the Brederups for whatever reason.
    Proud Native Texan!
    owned by 3 Cardigan Corgi's + 3 wonderful horses!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    It was a cold, snowy morning, but we popped the windows and dropped the top of the tailgate to keep air flowing once we saw how poorly she was doing.
    That alone could explain the horse's reaction: the Brenderup company does not advise hauling a horse with the tailgate up. Because of the Brenderup shape, hauling with the tailgate up can create a lot of noise/echo effect in the hauling compartment. So even when I've hauled in very dicey conditions, I close the front windows but haul with the rear tailgate down.

If you closed the tailgate *and* closed the windows, meaning there was almost no air ventilation and a lot of echo/noise, I can see how that would freak a horse out. Especially a horse that's used to hauling in a stock trailer.

I'm sure there are horses out there that genuinely hate Brenderups, just like there are horses that genuinely hate slant trailers or 2-horse straight loads etc. I even met a horse once who hated stock trailers (based on his reaction, it looked like he'd been hauled in very short stock trailers where he couldn't get his head up the way he liked--and being a horse, he irrationally came to associate that with all stock trailers.)

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    That alone could explain the horse's reaction: the Brenderup company does not advise hauling a horse with the tailgate up. Because of the Brenderup shape, hauling with the tailgate up can create a lot of noise/echo effect in the hauling compartment. So even when I've hauled in very dicey conditions, I close the front windows but haul with the rear tailgate down.

If you closed the tailgate *and* closed the windows, meaning there was almost no air ventilation and a lot of echo/noise, I can see how that would freak a horse out. Especially a horse that's used to hauling in a stock trailer.

I'm sure there are horses out there that genuinely hate Brenderups, just like there are horses that genuinely hate slant trailers or 2-horse straight loads etc. I even met a horse once who hated stock trailers (based on his reaction, it looked like he'd been hauled in very short stock trailers where he couldn't get his head up the way he liked--and being a horse, he irrationally came to associate that with all stock trailers.)
    I did not know that! Thank you very much for this info. Do you know if there is a "users manual" for the brenderups? Like hauling tips and such?

Default can't haul with tailgate up?

i did not know that. i have never left the tailgate down. i thought the road noise was scary to the horses, and they eneded up covered with dust from the road. just my habit.