The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Year's Ride

Kiddo & I went on a hike at Fair Hill and saw SO many people out trail riding. I miss trail riding so much! On the way home he said he wanted to ride Willow. So we got home and pulled out the tack and horse... it started to drizzle. Kiddo still wanted to ride, so he got a bareback 1 lap pony ride & then I sat on Willow and walked just a few steps. I'm not a a fan of bareback and she was a little fresh... but it felt great to just sit on a horse!!!

Here's hoping to many more rides for 2012!

Here's a pic I snapped of kiddo. I hope the link works... https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...46290850_n.jpg

Did anybody else get a chance to ride?
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Yeah for you getting a short ride in today. It was sunny and relatively warm today but it was also the second straight day of sustained 20mph west winds with gust much higher. I did some barn work and brushed the mares to get my horse fix. Still, this winter is so much nicer than the previous two which have been bitter cold with lots of snow.

Yes-hacked out around the property because it was 44 degrees and we still have no snow at all on the ground (unheard for this part of NYS). Figured I'd take advantage - it felt so good...
    JB-Infinity Farm
    www.infinitehorses.com

Indeed I did! I got photos too.
    This is how my new year's ride went.
    Of course, we did have some better moments.
    ahh greenies.
    He'd never bucked before yesterday. I'm not so sure I would have ridden him had I expected the theatrics, as I'm recovering from a nasty kidney infection.
    but no harm done. I think he'll be feeling less inclined toward airs above the ground once he sees the dentist and chiropractor though.

Kiddo is a doll! Gonna be a heart breaker!

Beautiful ride yesterday. Actually had a lesson(!) at noon (oh, boy! poles on the ground! getting out of plain old boring flat work...). Then it was so sunny and warm, we left and walked the dirt roads outside. Too muddy for the fields, but the roads were just the right consistency, and it was a great walk. Not the usual "it's a bit too hard, so I'm going to tiptoe", or the "whiz! bang! Gotta prance!" walk. Just a lovely, strong, long strides underneath walk. Felt fantastic.

I was reminded of the New Year's mini show my old barn used to have just for the barn - how we'd wait outside the indoor in freezing weather to run in and do our round, then run back in to their stalls to get warm. It was a blast, but always very snowy and freezing.

No snow and temp around 45 yesterday. Never had THAT before on New Year's! But temps into the single digits tomorrow & snow on its way now...
    How can there be so many currents in such a little puddle?
    National Velvet

Apparently a ride was a good enough way for the Queen to spend New Year's, too! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ndringham.html
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Had a nice ride at a friend's farm on NYD and then a lovely trail ride today with a friend at the barn where we board. It was a little windy in the open fields, but we rode alot thru the woods which sheltered us from the wind. Got a couple nice trots in where the footing allowed. Then went out to eat lunch. All in all a nice day.

I was fortunate enough to be able to ride NYE and NYD. I rode at a local trail riding club with one group of friends on New Year's Eve then I rode near home with another group of friends on New Year's Day. I probably got close to 25 miles of saddle time over the weekend. The weather was very favorable for riding...not too cold, not too warm, a little breezy on Sunday but not bad. I can't think when I've enjoyed a weekend more.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

A wise woman told me that if you do something you love on New Year's Day, you'll be doing a lot more of it in the year to come. You bet I got on my horse. It was a beautiful, warmish day, to boot.