The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by bayou_bengal View Post
    how do you know he was banned. Is there a List of the Banned somewhere for people to consult? Just asking.
    If you look at the threads linked above, it now says "banned" under his name on his posts.

Heaven help you if you disagree with the COTH Progressive Overly Sensitive Wilting Lilies Caucus, especially on Off Meds Day (the last is stolen from Misty Blue - outstanding).

The mere mention of firearms may make someone collapse on their fainting couch with a severe case of consumption or the vapors.

I thought mildot was nice balance to the majority around here and I'm sorry he was banned. Way to go, mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy Gray VA View Post
    Heaven help you if you disagree with the COTH Progressive Overly Sensitive Wilting Lilies Caucus, especially on Off Meds Day (the last is stolen from Misty Blue - outstanding).
    I don't believe there is anything in the Terms of Service about agreeing with anybody.

I believe there is some mention of being polite and respectful during discussions. Some people can't seem to manage that part.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    On second thought, perhaps this thread was the final straw:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=335568

Gawd, if that's what got him banned, I am in acute danger of premature departure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Last edited by smokygirl; Jan. 2, 2012 at 01:33 AM.
    "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

smokeygirl, that was totally uncalled for. If you don't like it then go to an unmoderated board where people can behave in any boorish way they wish. Oh, and let me know how that goes for ya.

Seriously, why do we need someone who, while sometimes funny, was also for the most part insulting and degrading. His every answer for shooting or poisoning things was certainly funny in one aspect but that common theme of advocating violence as a solution to everything was unsettling. At least to me. But I have been a victim of a quite violent crime, so maybe it is more bothersome to those of us who have had that type of experience.

I am glad he is gone. He gave me a knot in my stomach.

Meh. Who cares really?

I had him on ignore long ago. Thoroughly unpleasant, rude and juvenile. No loss from my perspective though having him on ignore accomplished the same thing as banning. I suspect he took something a bit further than his normal pearls of wisdom to get the boot.

I seriously doubt he was banned for not being liberal. Otherwise, there is a number of posters the mods missed.

Well, COTH is like the Mall. They might let everybody in, but in the end it's private, the 1st does not cover this.

I am sure there was more to the deal than what showed on the forum.
    he was by no means the worst offender, and unlike many who like to shoot from the hip he seemed to be able to take the like wise answers.

Alas.
    I am sure the mods had their reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

I'm erasing all my posts.. But I'm sick of it. I've had MANY posts that were "edited" due to a few things, and they've entirely changed the meaning of the post. They've banned a bunch of people because they disagree with things. I belong to several other boards. All have moderators. Not all of them use their powers to tweak posts and ban people. Mildot occassionally did go overboard on the SSS policy, but in a lot of cases when he said it, it was relevant to an issue, and usually it was not a first resort, such as the last thread he said it on.. "Get a restraining order and if that doesn't work get a gun". If someone is that fearful, that is sound advice. I have no problem with them moderating as they see fit. Changing posts so that people's opinions look different I do have issue with (which I didn't catch until I was just going through my posts btw). If someone is in a "juvenile" disagreement with someone, both should be banned. It takes two after all.
    "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

Quote Originally Posted by smokygirl View Post
    I'm erasing all my posts.. But I'm sick of it. I've had MANY posts that were "edited" due to a few things, and they've entirely changed the meaning of the post. They've banned a bunch of people because they disagree with things.
    Well, I wonder what you are doing to get so many posts edited because I've very rarely had any edited and when they were it was for good reason. And the mods do not ban people because they disagree with the banned posters - if that is what you are saying above. They ban people who do not follow the posted rules of the board that you agree to abide by when you join. And I'm pretty sure those posters get warned first.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    between his COTH handle
    Okay, feeling kind of thick here...but what was creepy about his Coth handle? I'm not getting it?
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Okay, feeling kind of thick here...but what was creepy about his Coth handle? I'm not getting it?
    Sniper Scope. http://mil-dot.com

Whoever was complaining that he was banned for his (ridiculous) politics, I don't believe it. I think his 'violence first' participation style is what did it.

And while some folks think anything is 'all in good fun', I don't doubt he crossed a line or three.

Also, didn't know what his handle meant. Ewwww.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Quote Originally Posted by smokygirl View Post
    Sniper Scope. http://mil-dot.com

Oh, I'm so thick. I saw it as Mild (ly) Off Topic.

Well I missed it all also. But he had a lot of the same attitude of Thomas (not the same beliefs) that he was right and everyone else was a "fool" if you did not agree with him. I did not get offended by either mildot or thomas, as they both had the right to their own opinions.

Does he work for the government or a government contractor? I'm always amazed at the white males who want to dismantle the government but benefit from it.

I did think that the comment "to crush stalkers" was funny. Altho I'm sure he did mean it.

You guys do know what a mil-dot is, don't you? I have a theory about men who are obsessed with guns and violence, based on my work with cops & criminals for decades. We got a lot of those road rage killings in Atlanta from people who were upset about everything all the time.

I guess he got too personally offensive with some people. And the mods do have to keep the board in line. I got a demerit which never expires on a Doug Sprinks post. After the mods say "lay off" something or someone, and you don't obey, you get a demerit. Or get banned.

Don't worry about mildot. Unless you pull in front of him in traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Well I missed it all also. But he had a lot of the same attitude of Thomas (not the same beliefs) that he was right and everyone else was a "fool" if you did not agree with him. I did not get offended by either mildot or thomas, as they both had the right to their own opinions.
    I was also reminded of Thomas.

They both have the right to their own opinions, as we all do.

We do not have the right to be rude and insulting on this board, since we agree to abide by the COTH rules when we sign up.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I was also reminded of Thomas.

They both have the right to their own opinions, as we all do.

We do not have the right to be rude and insulting on this board, since we agree to abide by the COTH rules when we sign up.
    Well, just type the word "Parelli" and the rude and insulting posts blossom and involve a variety of users. Most of the time the mods have to shut those threads down. So, I guess its ok to be rude and insulting as long as several others are on your side and are doing the same. Then you don't get banned, the thread just gets stopped.

Just sayin'...
    JB-Infinity Farm
    www.infinitehorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    Oh, I'm so thick. I saw it as Mild (ly) Off Topic.
    That's what I thought also.

This thread itself is lasting longer than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by spotmenow View Post
    Well, just type the word "Parelli" and the rude and insulting posts blossom and involve a variety of users. Most of the time the mods have to shut those threads down. So, I guess its ok to be rude and insulting as long as several others are on your side and are doing the same. Then you don't get banned, the thread just gets stopped.

Just sayin'...
    "Just sayin'..." what?

That rudeness on some subjects excuses more rudeness elsewhere?

Personally, I would vote for less rudeness all around. But I'm not a moderator. Thank goodness!

It's true that a user with an "unpopular" opinion is probably more likely to be reported by other members of the community, but we don't moderate the site based upon users' opinions, as long as they abide by the site's posting policies.

We generally don't get into the specifics of moderation activities with specific users, but generally speaking, if we have to contact a user about the same type of rule violation multiple times within a short period of time, and the user does not appear to be making an effort to amend the behavior, we are less likely to continue to extend membership to that user.

Thanks,
    Mod 1