The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default LASIK experience

Anyone had LASIK surgery in the past or recently? I'm getting ready to have it done in a month or so now that my eyes have leveled out and am starting to get nervous!

It makes a lot of sense for me because I have a lot of trouble wearing contacts for long periods of time and as a vet student I'm often in the clinic for 40-60 hour stretches with no sleep. I hate glasses so that's really not an option for me either...they drive me crazy and are the reason my eye doctor agreed to let me start wearing contacts when I was only 6....my parents and teachers couldn't get me to leave my glasses on.

So experiences good/bad/indifferent? Was the procedure pretty easy? I know the place I'm going does it under sedation which is encouraging but the procedure itself still seems a little scary!

I had the procedure done about 5 years ago. No sedation - did have a Valium but didn't feel like it did much for me. It was a little scary - kind of like when I had my ears pierced - after the first one I was tempted to say "stop".

Like you, I had been having trouble with my contacts - especially in the winter. I have dry eyes and the contacts would just stick to my eyes. I found myself wearing my glasses all the time in the winter - and I hate working out w/glasses on.

Make sure you have a VERY dark room to come home to. I did have some pain and couldn't handle ANY light. My poor husband had to tape towels up over the blinds because it needed to be pitch dark. Once I was able to fall asleep all was good.

And when I woke up a couple hours later - I could see!!! Clearly! I've had no issues and my eyesight is 20/10 - better than 20/20.

It was worth every second of apprehension and discomfort and one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    I had the procedure done about 5 years ago. No sedation - did have a Valium but didn't feel like it did much for me. It was a little scary - kind of like when I had my ears pierced - after the first one I was tempted to say "stop".

Like you, I had been having trouble with my contacts - especially in the winter. I have dry eyes and the contacts would just stick to my eyes. I found myself wearing my glasses all the time in the winter - and I hate working out w/glasses on.

Make sure you have a VERY dark room to come home to. I did have some pain and couldn't handle ANY light. My poor husband had to tape towels up over the blinds because it needed to be pitch dark. Once I was able to fall asleep all was good.

And when I woke up a couple hours later - I could see!!! Clearly! I've had no issues and my eyesight is 20/10 - better than 20/20.

It was worth every second of apprehension and discomfort and one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

That's great to hear, thanks!

Usually I'm not the squeamish type but something about forcing my eyelids open and lasering my cornea just sounds really frightening/horror movie-esque!

Sounds like it will hopefully be worth it in the long run though....I have dry eyes as well and these contacts are just brutal some days. Not to mention that with my bad eye sight + astigmatism my contacts cost about $500 for just a 6 month supply. The surgery will pay for itself in no time!

Had it done about seven years ago... BEST thing E.V.E.R!

It's so nice to not have to reach for my glasses first thing in the morning or stumble into the bathroom to voluntarily poke myself in the eyes every morning!

Have probably saved the cost of the procedure in not having to buy new contacts, glasses and solution over the years .

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

I had it done this past April at Lasik Plus. If you want I have a 10% off coupon I can email to you.

I was stone cold sober and nervous but it really wasn't bad. You can smell your cornea burning, maybe they should have suggested Vick's under my nose but really I think the dentist is far worse. I could tell INSTANTLY that my vision was better. They suggest you go home and nap for a few hours and they gave me Tylenol PM to take. You will also have antibiotic and steroid drops to use for a week or so. You will also need sunglasses.

Don't look at your eyes in a mirror, the sclera will have spectacular bruises.

The surgeon STRONGLY warned me against going to the barn for a week because of possible fungal infections. I stayed out, mostly, and wore goggles when I did go in the barn.

I would say that it's the best thing EVER but I reserve that for my breast reduction. Better living through surgery...
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

For those who've had it done, how nearsighted were you? For example, I can't see faces on the tv if I am more than ten feet away. Were you as nearsighted as that?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I had PRK because I wasn't a candidate for Lasik (my corneas were too thin.) Before, I was incredibly nearsighted--faces blurry when two feet away--plus I had astigmatism in both eyes.

After...the change was miraculous. Best thing I ever did for myself and I only wish I'd done it sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    For those who've had it done, how nearsighted were you? For example, I can't see faces on the tv if I am more than ten feet away. Were you as nearsighted as that?
    20/200

ETA: You should get an extensive evaluation (mine was free) before surgery. They will tell you if you are a candidate and what to expect. FWIW some people have problems with halos at night. They can predict who will have the problem due to the amount of correction needed and the size of the individual's pupils.
    My son couldn't have LASIK and had to have PRK
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

I could write out a whole response, but a simple "ditto" to SimpleSimon would cover it for me. It's been 5 years and I am still very happy with my results.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Curb Appeal View Post
    I could write out a whole response, but a simple "ditto" to SimpleSimon would cover it for me. It's been 5 years and I am still very happy with my results.
    I couldn't wear contacts and one of the best things was not needing windshield wipers in the rain!
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

What is "PRK"?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    What is "PRK"?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photore...ve_keratectomy
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

I had Lasix 9 years ago. Best thing I ever did. I was awake with some Valium on board.
    They sent me home with more Valium so I would sleep for a few hours afterwards.
    I needed eye drops for a month or so afterwards for dry eye. I had halos at night around lights for about 2 months after surgery. I find I am a little more light sensitive than I used to be.
    My doctor uses a hood so you can't smell the burning cornea smell.
    I am still 20/20. My vision was pretty bad before surgery- as in couldn't recognize DH or my own mom from 20 feet away without contacts.

I was getting pink eye frequently prior to surgery. I had a really tough time getting fitted for glasses so was never comfortable in them. They made me tired and naseaous since there were curves to my world I was used to and every eye doctor wanted to fix my mild astigmatism. However since my contacts didn't correct the astigmatism my poor little brain couldn't handle switching back and forth between the glasses with the correction and years of contacts without the correction.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Ditto to "best thing I ever did" sentiments. I wore glasses since I was 12 and hated them. Got my eyes done at 19 and it was amazing. I ended up with what they're now calling "high def" vision. My eyes were better than 20/20 and it was insane the detail I could pick up when looking at things. I suffered no side effects, though I hear when you're older near-sightedness and difficulty driving at night or 'halos' around light sources can be common, but not always permanent (besides the near-sightedness). I'm back in school and in major reading load and I've noticed a slight deterioration in my eye sight in the last 2 years but I'm still close to 20/20 vision.

best thing ever! I'd rather have reading glasses than other glasses on all the time!

One thing they didn't mention was that you'll smell your eye burning. Apparently they warn people now since some people flipped out. All I remember thinking is, "why does it smell like a farrier's hot shoeing a horse in here?" then I realized it was my eye making that smell. Luckily the Valium kicked in and I didn't care.

I will be the one with the oldest lasered eyes here. I was one of the first 1000 patients done on this continent as an experimental series by the eye surgeons from UCLA way back in the late 1980's.

My correction was -7.5 diopters. This means I could not see my hand clearly more than 7 inches from my face. It means some large object you could see clearly at 75 feet away, I would have trouble seeing at less than 20 inches away, in fact, I wouldn't have been able to see it clearly even at 12 inches away. My glasses were truly coke bottles and I became allergic to every plastic contact lens made, so I had those heavy glasses on from the moment I woke up just so I could find my feet to put my slippers on.

Both eyes were corrected by PRK ( the fore runner to LASIK) to 20/20. That was 22 years ago.

It was a godsend and changed my life. Now in my mid 50's, I need reading glasses for fine print such as pill bottles, but still read normal 12 point font without them in good light.

I haven't had problems with halos or night vision, and I never regretted doing it although it was pretty painful for the first 24 hours or so. A dark room, a little morphine...
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF