The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Best Saddle for high withered horse but really comfortable :)

I am making the switch from hunters to dressage and need a medium tree saddle for a horse with sharkfin withers. It also has to be super comfy though for my aching back, lol. I know nothing about dressage saddles, my current saddle is an Antares which I love, comfy and well balanced. I dont plan on showing and ride 3-4 days a week so dont want to spend a fortune and definitely want used. Any suggestions are very much appreciated!
    Finally in FL, loving the weather but still missing the Green Mountains!!

a friend of mine just got a custom Albion for her 50th bday. she rides my 17hh+ tb with crazy huge withers.

we still use a sheepskin half pad with a small lift but they did a great job clearing his withers and fitting the shoulder.
    www.TackMeUp.com
    'What's in your trunk?'
    Free tools for Trainers and Riders

Ask your Antares rep about any used Antares dressage saddle! You'll get the same comfort!

you might try a County; they sold me one w/ Skid Row panels for my shark-finned T-bred.

Im using an Isabelle saddle by bates, and its doing very well with my witherable mate

Another vote for Albion. Every albion I've ridden in has been extremely comfortable. Today I tried one on my arabian that had huge wither clearance -- I could fit my whole hand down the gullet. I think it was a little too much clearance for her.

The best saddles I have found for the shark finned TB's that are also condusive to riding in a correct dressage seat are Passiers. If you can find a used GG that was made in the late 70's mid 80's in Europe that would be the way to go. The head of the pommel is cut way back, there is a generous spinal channel, wide soft loin panels and a deep close seat that allows you to sink into the horse and feel what is going on underneath you. There is very little leather and no paddling between where your leg falls and the horse, and your leg is allowed to fall straight from the hip.
    The german steel gullet plate will allow a saddler to adjust the tree to your horse, some of the stirrup bars are set a bit further back to allow for that very straight leg.

If you can find a Schleese Jes Elite in your size these are Uber comfy saddles, and can work with TB withers as well. Great for peeople who's backs have been bashed about by years of riding.

Teek

PS you might not want to do "cair" and stick to wool flocking/