The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Painted wood floors vs hardwood?

We live in a ranch that *obviously* wasn't designed for a farm house, i.e., dogs, horse stuff, mud, junk, more junk. You get the idea. The hardwood floors, which were in OK shape 6 years ago, have suffered and I'm not sure we can rehab them. I do like the look of painted wood floors, but if we sell, would that be a no-go if you were looking for a house? How about granite look counters that aren't really granite? We live in a rural area so big fancy houses aren't the norm around here.
    Not that I'm against big fancy houses, I just don't want the house payments!

Yes, I would think it would be a turn-off. Granite look counters are OK unless you're in an area where houses in your price point have granite. Kitchens and bathrooms sell houses.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Bear in mind I am in a late 1700s stone cottage, but...I have painted wood floors in kitchen and normal woodfloors in the rest of the house (even the bathroom!). Kitchen floor was painted when we bought, but I have redone in a new color. I think there's alot that can be done with painted floors if you add some area rugs and decorate to match the feel of the floors and maintain the paint. Mine is very high traffic, 4 dogs, 1 kid and is holding up beautifully - probably going on about 8 years now.

Not a fan of granite, real or not, but that's a personal quirk. I'm a tile lover.

When I replaced the ugly laminate that came with the house (no backsplash and I wanted one, so no point doing the backsplash and then counters someday), I priced the laminate granite-look Wilsonart (cheaper than formica brand), and found that they now charge for the laminate by the foot, and installation/manufacturing separately. The quartz (Victoria is the color) with a 4" backsplash, plus the backsplash tile and an accent piece was less including the undermount sink and faucet I furnished was much less than the laminate would have been, and that other company only did laminate backsplash ( a total turnoff for buyers with the difficulty of removal). I went directly to the countertop sellers, and not to the big box stores. Because I live about 25 miles from the store they did the entire install of counters, sink, faucet, and tile in one day. I don't regret replacing the coutners.

And for floors I think painted kitchen floors would look good, but if you are doing other rooms then I think it would be strange. I have seen really nice sun porch or other outside rooms with painted floors, but for other living spaces I think of it as a beach type of feel and not country or traditional. ANd I think a buyer would look at painted floors as a bargaining point, assume they had to be replaced and try to take the money out of the offer price.

Are you thinking about reselling? If the floors have one more refinish in them, then I would just put another layer of poly, or whatever finish they have (some finishes are very tough, water resistant, and nonslip) and then if you decide to resell then refinish one last time.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

"Are you thinking about reselling? If the floors have one more refinish in them, then I would just put another layer of poly, or whatever finish they have (some finishes are very tough, water resistant, and nonslip) and then if you decide to resell then refinish one last time."

I agree! You might be surprised what a little cordless sander and some poly can do! I just brought back some floors that were disgusting, black from cat pee and had splinters. It really wasn't even that much work.

The problem with painted is that dog claws, grit etc. tend to tear up the paint in no time and it will look worse than before!
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

We have hardwood throughout most of our house, except one bedroom that has painted wood floors. I hate the painted wood.

We're thinking about ripping up the carpet in our bedroom and painting the wood...but I think it will get messed up quickly from the dogs. Plus the wood isnt in awesome shape.

If I were shopping for a house, painted wood floors wouldnt be my favorite. At all. Granite look a likes wouldnt deter me. My parents just put granite look a like in their kitchen and it looks awesome. It was around the same price, but doesnt get scratched, even when used as a cutting board!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Thanks for all the input! Cielo, ours are stained due to dogs hating to go out in the rain to do their business. We aren't moving any time soon, but are chipping away at the updating.
    Good to know about the counters, too. Our kitchen is very depressing.

Isn't a painted floor just a recipe for a nasty look in a year or two?

I've never, ever seen a paint that can stand up to foot traffic for any decent length of time. So yes, a house with painted floors would make me walk right back out without giving anything else a second look.

The real reason I went with the quartz is that I found out I could get the quartz, plus backsplash and undermount sink (dang I love that deep, beautiful undermount sink), for less that the laminate would have cost from the other supplier. A nice laminate is wonderful (Wilsonart is much less than Formica brand, and I think has more realistic looking granite-like patterns) but it would have cost me much more (no there's no logic in pricing any more). What do other houses around you have? Don't over-improve for the neighborhood. And if you can't find out any other way then go to every open house you can find, and look at realtor.com for your area and see what the interior kitchen and house pictures look like.

And mildot is right. If I walked in and saw painted floors, except in a little used sunporch in a country style place then I would go onto the next house for sale, because I would assume the floors were shot, and I would have to replace everything. In the buyer's market we have now you are competing with everyone else on the market, so don't over-improve, but don't make your house look like a fixer for the same price either. Nobody likes to live through a big remodel like new floors unless they get a wonderful, lowball price.

My mom painted several hardwood floors... please don't. They look tired and dirty very quickly, and I hate the look. As another said, if I was a buyer it would be a bargaining chip... first thing I would do if I bought a house with them is refinish them.

If you do it right, it can last and hold up well and look pretty nice! However most people who paint wood floors don't prep them right or use the right products/enough steps, etc. It's not just a cheap fix-all.

Prep the floors well, this may mean using chemicals and hand sanding or best bet: use a rental sander. Prep, prep, prep.

Use outdoor solid stains instead of paint, take your time doing the coats. Use a sealer over the top. Allow to dry completely before you or pets go on it. And ventilate while it dries.

If a deck outside can hold up to traffic, the elements and animals using it as a toilet...your kitchen floor can too. Do use a heavy duty sealant though if the dog use it as a toilet. Wood is porous and will hold smells and bacteria, which means the dogs will smell it and keep marking there no matter what cleaners you use on it. Once re-doing it and covering all smells, start disciplining some furry asses and teaching them proper bathroom locations.

You can have fun with painting floors too:
    http://lh4.ggpht.com/_2perqqGnT-E/TB...umb%5B2%5D.jpg

White is very common:
    http://blog.ashleycampbell.com/files...ite-Floors.jpg

Love this one!
    http://yourhomeonlybetter.com/wp-con...-diamond-l.jpg

http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/inns/...nn-lodging.jpg
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Well, then! No one should come over to my kitchen then!

Seriously, if its what you want, do it. I don't want to spend my whole life thinking about what the next owner might think. I think my painted floor is awesome. There are specific floor paints that hold up very well - 4 fast little terriers on it here. And an operating wood/coal stove in my kitchen (and all the dirt and log/bucket schlepping associated with it) . And direct access from farm outside - no mudroom or porch here. Wash it almost weekly. Vaccuum or broom it every few days. But, then again, our house is probably alitle more *rustic than yours.... \

I feel like such a rebel going against the grain here. (Wood joke pun intended!)

WG-I don't like to think about resale, but you just never know. I thought I would retire at my last job, and 18 months ago I got a promotion and sold very quickly. I know what you mean, and with a quality painting with all of the steps outlined here it would look great, but with showings usually being without the homeowner around (so the buyer and their agent can trash your taste, and talk about how to rip you off on price) you won't have a chance to explain the steps and how well you did the job.

Maybe in a sales situation you could leave a little explanation of the steps you went through, and how durable the floor surface is, plus the easy maintenance and you might get away with it. I personally hate the resale procedures these days, but I guess I better get over that. I would only do the kitchen or kitchen/eat in dining area though.

We sold a house that had painted wood floors in the kitchen and two bedrooms, they looked great and the buyers didn't bat an eye at them.

I say do what works for you and let the chips fall where they may. People are so picky about houses, there's no way to keep everyone happy. Do what works for you!

One solution I had when I lived in a very rainy area, and had a doggie door is to buy the big (4' x 6') or so floor mats. They are thick black rubber, with a raised edge, and dark gray or brown nylon pile-they collect lots of water (or other products), and when they get yucky you just swap them for another one, take the dirty one out, throw it over the fence or bannister, and squirt it down with a hose. It dries quickly, washes clean easily, and protects the flooring. I bought mine at the big box stores, and the heavier ones (they sell them with the door mats and strip rugs in the flooring section) are worth the difference. They collect lots of melted snow or tracked in rain, and really make a difference.

The major problem I see with floor painting is that if you don't like it, or a potential buyer doesn't like it, is that it would be very tough to get the paint off, and redo in a regular stain. And it might be that you wouldn't like the pattern or color after you finished and you would be stuck with it.

JanM...where did you find the mats? We're getting ready to replace the poorly installed wood floors and carpet with new floors. Are they OK on top of wood?

First rule of house selling. The larger appeal your house has to a potential buyer, the faster your house will sell (and for a higher price). The more you limit your market potential, the longer it will sit. Unless we have another real estate boom, which isn't looking really likely. Heck, who wants to live through months of open houses?

So, if you're going to make "improvements" that limit the appeal, do it carefully and with your eyes wide open.

Painted floor in the kitchen, maybe OK (but it sounds like a 1950 - 1960 ranch, so really doesn't fit). Painted floor in the rest of the house...No.

Have you thought about painted floorcloths? They're very durable and if you handy enough to paint the floor you could make your own. Hmmmmm. Why didn't I think of that? One would look great in my kitchen. Thanks OP.

Links:

http://www.hgtv.com/decorating/make-...oth/index.html

http://www.netw.com/~rafter4/floorcloth.htm

Laura-they have them at Lowes and Home Depot in the floor section next to the carpet runners and door mats. I did use the big ones, 4 x 6 feet or so, and they might even have bigger. If the floor is a really dark stain it will fade around them, so if you do a floor cloth or other floor coverings they need to fill the room and not a small part of it. If the mats get sand under them they'll slip, but I just hose the top off, flip it over, and hose the bottom. If you drape them at an angle (crooked so it looks like a triangle hanging down, not a square) so they dry much faster. Do not get indoor/outdoor or other soft rubber backed rug or the backing sticks to the floor until you scrape it off. I always had a bunch of these, and that way when one was wet I could swap for a dry one immediately.

I'm thinking under the table for the floorcloth. Where ALL of the dogs hang out. I just ended up throwing out the rug...I couldn't get the smell out (we have a smelly hound, lab and a rough collie). Lots of fur and dirt.

I had a beach house in Oregon and I painted all the wood floors (the house had been partially burned in a fire and the floors all got water damaged and smelled of burnt wood, so it was a no brainer.)

If you use a porch or deck paint, you will not have any trouble with it lasting. I had 3 dogs and sand from the beach, etc. and they looked great.

In the downstairs bathroom I painted a rug on the floor. Took forever to get the measurements right, but it was worth it. The actual painting was easy.

And I made a floor cloth for the upstairs guest room. I was never happy with it. The edges curled and it did not want to stay in place; I was forever adjusting it. It is also cold on the feet for getting out of bed. And, if it is any larger size, than 3 x 5, it is NOT easy to take up and put down. Plus you never want to fold it or the paint might crack along the fold lines. So carrying it is not easy.

Of the 2 options, I would go with a painted rug on a solid colored floor. You can get some really neat stencils now.

Of course my house was a cedar shake beach house, so the floors were appropriate. But I am about to paint the floors in the Master Bath at my (English country style )house, and I think it will look great.

Can you tell that I am a real fan of painted floors? If your house is the right style, I say go for it.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."