The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Has anyone transferred schools going into their senior year of college?

I am a junior in college currently and am seriously considering transferring schools for my senior year. I was going to transfer to this particular school after my freshman year but I allowed myself to be convinced to stay by a few people who were in my life at that time. I have always been unhappy at this school and have regretted my decision to stay for multiple reasons. I've always wished I could go back and change my decision... and I finally decided to just at least apply to see if I get in and make that decision if the time comes.

If I transferred, I would likely be required to start as a sophomore due to it being a senior military academy. That's not a big issue for me. I would just need to ensure that my scholarship would transfer.

Current School (CS) is 14 hrs away. Possible Future School (PFS) is 3.5 hrs away. At CS, although I know a lot of people, I am not on that level where I hang out with them. This mostly because I tend to be quiet and don't take the initiative to develop that friendship. At PFS, I am friends with many people who go there of all different years (I tend to develop friendships by hanging out with people with current friends. I've actually made some really good friendships with people at PFS just because they have come to visit some of my good friends here and we've kept in touch). CS just has a normal ROTC program where I am competiting for active duty and it's incredibly competitive. I do. not. want. reserves. At PFS I would be guaranteed active duty. Both schools have a gorgeous campus. They are mid size schools but only in numbers. The campus' have a smaller feel to them. Academic programs at both schools are equally as good, although PFS has a much better reputation than CS overall.

Am I nuts? Has anyone else done this?
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Who said you were guaranteed active duty?
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Well, I transferred after 3 years. It added an extra 2 years on top of the normal 4.

It was SO worth it to be HAPPY even if it kept me in school quite a bit longer.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Who said you were guaranteed active duty?
    PFS is a senior military academy. Cadets graduating from a senior military academy are guaranteed active duty.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Milocalwinnings View Post
    PFS is a senior military academy. Cadets graduating from a senior military academy are guaranteed active duty.
    That's a pretty big leap from regular college ROTC and it would require serious changes to your academic and personal lifestyle if you get in. How much social interaction have you had with those in the Cadet program there?
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Have you checked PFS's (VMI?) transfer policies to see if they're even allowed to admit you? Some schools do not admit transfer applicants after you've already accumulated a certain number of credits.
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

Also, AFAIK ROTC scholarships are capped, so even if your scholarship "transfers", it might not cover the extra semesters. Personally, I don't think it's worth it this far in. I don't think active duty is hard to get these days. Just my opinion though.
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

Default Finish your degree at school #1 first

I would complete your degree at school #1/CS and then go to school #2/PFS as a postbacc. At the very least, you need to have a serious talk with the admissions/transfer people at school #2 and see how your credits are going to transfer in. Chances are, the credits will transfer, but will the credits equate to *actual required classes* at school #2/PFS or will they transfer in as elective credit? In any case, most colleges will need you to take a certain amount of credits in your major and to meet that institution's residency requirement, no matter how many credits you have at school #1/CS. Otherwise, people would take 3 1/2 years at Po-Dunk U and then take their last semester at Harvard and get a degree there. Doesn't work that way.

Also, will your scholarship allow you to add the extra year/years it will take you to complete your degree? There is usually a time limit or some sort of limitation on these things, I would think.

You have made it this long, I have faith that you can hold out the last little bit and finish your degree at CS. The added benefit is that if during your tenure at PFS something life-changing happens and you have to quit school, you already have a degree to help you get a job.

Quote Originally Posted by linquest View Post
    Also, AFAIK ROTC scholarships are capped, so even if your scholarship "transfers", it might not cover the extra semesters. Personally, I don't think it's worth it this far in. I don't think active duty is hard to get these days. Just my opinion though.
    Active Duty is pretty difficult to get into and due to downsizing it's getting tougher.
    As far as I can tell I have not been able to find anywhere on PFS's website where they say they will not admit someone with more than X amount of credits. I have emailed admissions for more information though.
    I know several people in the cadet programs at various senior military academies and service academies. While it is a lifestyle change (you have restrictions and certain priveledges have to be earned or come with time, for example), I don't feel that I will find it difficult to adjust to as my life really isn't that different. I'm not a social butterfly who is out late every night and partying every weekend. Most of my time is spent studying. If I was in the program to get my commission and then get out after my minimum service requirement is over, that would be one thing. But I'm in it for the long haul and plan to make it a career. I feel that I would thrive at a more structured cadet program.

On the other hand, yes, I would have to check to see what the deal would be with my scholarship. The Army doesn't like it when you tell them that you will be graduating in 2013 and then come at them saying it will be another few years. Although I do know of a few cadets who have been able to transfer to West Point at what would be the start of their junior year (although they of course had to start over as a freshmen). It's something I will have to discuss with the SMI/PMS of my CS program and with the head of the cadet program at PFS.
    The other point is yes, I am 3 years in and it's only one more year. I would rather be elsewhere but it's not the end of the world if I had to complete it there.

If I get AD, grad school will have to wait. But should I get stuck in the reserves then I could always apply to PFS for grad school. Unfortunately it will be hard for me to get a job in my field of study without at least a masters but preferably a PhD.

As far as completing 3 years at one school and graduating with a degree from another after just one year, that wouldn't be the case here as I would likely have to start over as a sophomore due to the cadet program.