The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dispatch from NYC Carriage Wars: "CARRIAGEGATE" has erupted!

A hard-earned New Year's present for the NYC carriage industry....we have been shopping this around to journalists for nearly 8 months:
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/s...WMEE9onfJ4e1qN

For those of you who have been following along, the very positive upshot of this exposé will be apparent; to anyone who hasn't been following, but is interested and possibly confuzzled, please ask away

BTW - this reporter has MUCH more than he revealed here, and we expect to see more articles in the near future

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."
    --Harry S Truman
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

...and to anyone so inclined: we want the reporter and the NY Post to know there is interest in this, so clicking on the FB ' like' and Tweet widgets on the article and leaving comments will really help give our story legs, not to mention help spread the word

This is great news. I hope more poeple will wake up to the dangers that people like these pose to all horse owners everywhere.
    Last edited by bayou_bengal; Jan. 1, 2012 at 02:12 PM.

I hope the AG and other law enforcement officials follow up on this.

With all due respect, because I side with the carriage industry against this bill, I have to ask what earth-shattering revelations are being "exposed" here?

I've read through the article 3 times now and I can't figure it out, myself.

Are the campaign contributions by NYCLASS illegal? Are they in excess of state/city contribution limits? Do they come from illegal sources?

Is Mr. Nislick running afoul of any state anti-corruption laws because he stated that he's specifically giving the money to these officials solely because of their support for this bill?

Why is it surprising that an advocacy group would use both campaign contributions, demonstrations/rallies, or a communications campaign in order to influence public opinion on this issue?

Is it somehow now illegal to casually talk smack about NYC elected officials or the personal dynamics between elected officials?

It's been a few years since I've been involved in NY campaign finance law on behalf of an industry so I'm sure there have been changes, but if someone could point out the relevant laws that are being broken and require the NY AG's attention, I'd be interested.

More pertinent questions:

Does NYCLASS have a state- or city-registered political action committee (PAC) for the purpose of donating to NYC Council members?

Or were these contributions made by individuals? Makes a bit of a difference regarding donor intent.

What is the NY state law on "bundling" individual contributions through a representative vs. direct contributions from individuals vs. PAC contributions?

Also - what, if any, wiretapping/privacy laws are in NYC and NY state?

While an undercover spy secretly taping a baddie makes for sexy eye-catching newspaper copy, absent a clear criminal act and a warrant, is this legal? It's certainly embarrassing for the leadership of NYCLASS to be caught making rude comments about leadership's handling of their pet bill, no doubt.

My point with all of these questions is derived from my very firm belief that the freedom to make political contributions - even if I vehemently disagree with you - is a cornerstone of free political speech.

I don't much like when that freedom is impugned by sensationalistic media reporting, is all.

Finally I'll repeat that I fully support the NYC carriage driver's association and feel their fight against NYCLASS stands firmly on its merits. I hope that the drivers association is launching a smart advocacy campaign using all legal and political tools at its disposal to counter NYCLASS's baseless ideas.

I think while his contributions were totally legal what it brings to light is notification to those hes contributed to the true purpose behind hes support.

The fact that he is crass and foolish enough to speak like that about those he has attempted to sway with donations just brings light to the character and morals of Mr. Nislick. when he almost boasts with bravado that he uses cash to sell his wares to those in power.

I believe the term is caught with your pants down.

Since Mr. Nislick has long been suspected of attempting to manipulate force the bill to abolish the carriage horse trade in NYC for personal gains and access to the properties the stables sit on. It would certainly give you a window into the character of the man who claims its all for the horses ... yet very well might have other agendas hes masking with his own ideals of good will.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Thank you, Deep Throatlatch, whoever you are.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

OMGosh - and I thought 'Deep Whinny' was good

OMG, I never thought I would utter the words "You owe me a new keyboard." But you do!! LOL!! That is the BEST!
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Don't have a position on the specific carriage debate, but have to agree with Flashy that I didn't see obvious corruption in his comments. As snarky and self-aggrandizing as he sounds, he's just talking about making donations to politicians who support legislation that he believes in. No different than any political campaign donation.

Curious though about the comment that he is motivated to shut down the industry in order to get access to the stable properties-- does he have some kind of direct contractual link to those properties, so if the stables are closed he is definitely the beneficiary? Or is it just more like he's in the real estate biz so it stands to reason that he could possibly get some of the action?

Not an atty but NY is a "one-party consent" state when it comes to consent requirements for recording a conversation. Not a violation of privacy laws since one of the participants was the recorder. Also it would be an uphill battle to convince a court that your privacy was violated when you were speaking in a public restaurant.

What Flashy Gray VA said.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

I find this tidbit interesting from the comment section:

"Elizabeth Forel · Top Commenter · Works at Coalition to Ban Horse-Drawn Carriages
    Jet - it is legal to give campaign contributions as long as they do not exceed a certain amount.
    "

So as long as the monetary amount doesn't "exceed a certain amount", ethics and morals are optional? Hmmmm....corruption in politics, who would have thought.

Politicians like this have no interest in anything else but their own personal gain.

My god, read the comments. Forel is positively juvenile in her responses: "NANANANANANAI'mnotlisteningtoyou!" "I'm rubber, you're glue". . .etc.

Who appointed her to be head of anything? She sounds like she's around eight years old. Scratch that, most eight-year-olds I've known come off sounding more reasoned and mature.

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    I find this tidbit interesting from the comment section:

"Elizabeth Forel · Top Commenter · Works at Coalition to Ban Horse-Drawn Carriages
    Jet - it is legal to give campaign contributions as long as they do not exceed a certain amount.
    "

So as long as the monetary amount doesn't "exceed a certain amount", ethics and morals are optional? Hmmmm....corruption in politics, who would have thought.

Politicians like this have no interest in anything else but their own personal gain.
    Well, the issue here is not how much $$$ Nislick is giving, or that he is giving at all... It's that he is donating not because he supports politicians for their platform or even because he wants them to win the election... It's that he wants them to do his bidding on this issue, not because it is right (or not) but because they want his money and votes (ie the people signing his petition).

Mr Tea, meet mr table. That's the most hilarious post so far for 2012
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

In the same vein...

CROUP: Comittee to Run Off Ur Pohneez
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Belg View Post
    In the same vein...

CROUP: Comittee to Run Off Ur Pohneez

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by thedrafthorse View Post
    Well, the issue here is not how much $$$ Nislick is giving, or that he is giving at all... It's that he is donating not because he supports politicians for their platform or even because he wants them to win the election... It's that he wants them to do his bidding on this issue, not because it is right (or not) but because they want his money and votes (ie the people signing his petition).
    And that differs from many political contributions... how, exactly?