The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

When we lived in Fall Branch, TN (outside Kingsport) the fire department sold fireworks to supplement their funds.

I'm one of the lucky ones. My horses could not care less about booms and shooting, probably because we're casual about it. If you act like there's something to be afraid of, they'll pick up on it and be afraid. Same goes for the dogs and cats.
    Everybody lies - Gregory House, M.D.

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaTA View Post
    If you act like there's something to be afraid of, they'll pick up on it and be afraid. Same goes for the dogs and cats.
    I wish it were that simple, but they are all worked up before I can even get out there to check on them.

Wondering for the future if they could get hurt worse in the stalls though since they are open stalls and will still be able to hear and see the fireworks.

I guess I could try some ace, earplugs and stalls.

Quote Originally Posted by Serigraph View Post
    Wondering for the future if they could get hurt worse in the stalls though since they are open stalls and will still be able to hear and see the fireworks.

I guess I could try some ace, earplugs and stalls.
    IMO, horses being born claustrophobes, I'd always rather them have room to groove when there are scary things about.

I'm told ace acts differently in horses, but it's a really bad idea for noise-phobic dogs.

Speaking of which, my little foundling Brittany freaked when the neighbors started their artillery barrage. I'm sure he's someone's failed hunting dog. He copes with his phobias by circlingcirclingcircling. The bigger the fright, the bigger the circle. Last night he was caroming off the bed and making a circle through the whole house!

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    Speaking of which, my little foundling Brittany freaked when the neighbors started their artillery barrage. I'm sure he's someone's failed hunting dog. He copes with his phobias by circlingcirclingcircling. The bigger the fright, the bigger the circle. Last night he was caroming off the bed and making a circle through the whole house!
    Awww, poor dog.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaTA View Post
    When we lived in Fall Branch, TN (outside Kingsport) the fire department sold fireworks to supplement their funds.

I was in Kingsport years ago for the 4th! They put on a heck of a show! We were just passing through and joined everybody down by the river and had the best time
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

what are the local laws in regards to Fireworks? If they are legal then there is really not much you can do but you could ask your neighbors to please not shoot them off in your direction as much on your property is combustible and you would hate to lose your barn & beloved horses to a fire caused by their celebratory and fleeting fireworks display. Their $100 worth of fireworks and noise could cause them a loss in the hundreds of thousands - is it really worth it?

We had to deal with frantic horses due to fireworks last night, as I had foolishly not expected folks to brave the cold and wind to blow up things. Around the 4th of July, I know what to expect, so sedate, earplug, lock in, etc. But fireworks are banned here any other time of the year, so I was really disappointed that the one neighbor (a fireman, which seems to be common among some of the scofflaws on this thread - what is it with them?) "treated" us to such a silly display. They are clueless folks when it comes to animals, so don't expect them to know or care that it drives my horses and dogs nuts, but the whole disregard of the law just irritated me.

When they keep me up with all the blasting into the wee hours, I always want to be up and running the mower at 7 am to blast them out of bed...sporting a hangover, I'm sure! That plan works better on July 5 than on Jan 1, however (too dark, wet, and cold to mow now!).