The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Kitchen appliances

Well, I finally did it. Signed the contract to get the kitchen renovated!

Now I need a new dishwasher, electric range, and over the range microwave (with recirculating vent). Current white fridge stays because it works.

The microwave will get the most use since I dont "cook" much. And as a household of one (plus dogs) the dishwasher will enable me to use and wash more of the dishes and glasses, rather than them living from table to sink to strainer. So I am looking at basic, budget-friendly appliances. I no longer have those friends who would take a pickup and get used appliances, so I would get new, probably all at one place, maybe scratch/dent.

I dont know which finish. Not sure I like the look of a white DW among the medium stain maple cabinets. Probably black or SS, but since I dont love SS, not willing tp pay a premium for it.

What brands to avoid? While I dont want fancy, I do want them to work reliably.

Not Frigidaire. My appliance repairman (know him well, I have Frigidaire), recommends Whirlpool as the lowest maintenance, easiest to repair. Refrigerator shelves break, ice maker breaks every 6 months, dishwasher, 3 repairs in 4 years, microwave crashed and burned 3 days after warranty was up. We have home warranty insurance now, mostly because of the appliances.

If you're at all worried about resale (and we all should be, you just never know), I'd go with stainless. That seems to be what most people want. I do however, love the look of black with maple.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

So looking at this and the diswasher thread, it seems to avoid Frigidare. Maytag may or may not be good. People here like Whirlpool, but the reviews on some of the less expensive models at Lowes arent so good.
    A coin flip?

MsM, I had to purchase all new appliances about 18 months ago - washer/dryer, fridge; and television set.

I started my quest by purchasing a simple online subscription for about a month or so to Consumer Reports so I could plow through their lengthy testing and pricing reports.

They report exhaustively on everything 12 ways to Sunday. I found it an invaluable tool for finding appliances within my budget, usage levels (I'm single and not putting Mt. Washmore into the w/d every day like a family would), and my reliability comfort zone (yes, I'll spend more $$$ for higher reliability ratings).

Anyway, it was a great inexpensive way for me to do my research before I purchased anything and I'd recommend it highly.

First thing to consider: how long do you plan to stay in the house? If you're planning to sell in the next couple years, you're looking at different product lines than if you plan to stay many years. Or if it will be used as a rental.

If you don't cook much, don't have plans to sell in the next several years, you should look at more modestly priced lines. A friend in the appliance business says you should expect your thing to work reliably - after the basics the difference in price is attributed to finishes and features. But higher-end appliances will last longer - for example is the dishwasher lined with stainless steel? or plastic?

I agree that Consumer Reports is a great place to start. You don't have to get everything from one manufacturer. Don't forget about Sears - the Kenmore lines are generally rated well.

Get the appliances first, before reno starts, or at least get accurate measurements.

And don't forget to shop the local guys. They're usually close on price and the service is better.

We have spent the last year on a kitchen remodel, including a new stove top, microwave, and oven. Our fridge and dishwasher, both Whirlpool, although a few years old at this point still work just fine so we didn't get new ones. We got a GE stove top, oven, and microwave from Lowes, who offered us very competitive pricing and were nice to work with. We consulted Consumer Reports for their reviews, and last spring they published a book of reviews exclusively for kitchen remodels. So far, all the appliances we purchased have worked just fine.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Definitely avoid Frigidare. First hand experience talking.

I would strongly recommend Bosch.

Frigidaire and LG suck. Out loud. And soft.
    LG doesn't last for shite in general, just read any online review site or the BBB. LG consistently rates craptastic. But it's inexpensive so popular.

My go-to for appliances are usually Whirlpool, some GE and pretty much any/all Kenmore. (I won't buy a GE washer/dryer or range but will a fridge or DW)

If you're not in love with SS, don't get it. It costs a premium more and most of the models use cheap-ass SS anyway to save on costs. Plus even brushed SS doesn't stay spotless looking. It might not STAIN but it'll spot like nobody's business, LOL!

I'd not go with white either...white is a pita. Especially around the handles and edges...hand grime always showing up. Plus it discolors a bit over time or in direct sunlight it can yellow a bit. White appliances only look smashing in a white cabinet kitchen IMO.

Go black...pebble black or if you want shiny and fancy look for floating glass black. (gorgeous! but spots show) An added bonus with black...you can grab a $5 can of appliance spray paint, toss a few sheets up and paint your fridge to match in about an hour right in your kitchen! (open the windows a bit though unless you like that stoned feeling, LOL) You can also order new handles for your fridge to fancy it up a bit. Pretty cheap.

If you're saving on the color, look into an induction glass top range. The coil burners are just dated looking and cause mess. The glass tops without induction can take *forever* and 2 days to boil water. The double door ovens underneath are nice too if you don't want to heat up one large oven all the time. But those really add cost.

Look into some of the new built in micros...many now have toasting options too. They can double as a built in toaster oven! Lordy knows a micro sucks at browning anything. It'll save a ton of use on your oven for reheating or making pizza or garlic bread or bagels, etc.

Also, check Sears often. Not just their printed stuff online, use their online instant chat help and you can tell them your budget, what you like and what you don't want and they'll find everything they sell that fits that and also give you excellent deals/sales. I just replaced my washer/dryer...the washer died and I only wanted a new washer. used their online help...they found me what I wanted at 50% off so I got the dryer too! (also 50% off...neither were advertised sales!) They have tons of deals they don't advertise, but models they need to get rid of to make room for more. Plus they carry hundreds of different models from tons of brands...more than any other place I've found.

And congrats!! You do know we want before and after photos, right???? Like what do your new cabinets look like? Any photos???? (I so want to gut and redo my kitchen...let me live vicariously thru you, LOL)
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I bet if you go to Sears this week that you can get the entire kitchen suite (including the fridge) in black for a great price. For stoves I prefer smooth ceramic electric (it dusts easier) and for gas sealed burners are much easier to clean. Some of the discount places (the really icky, minimal service, but buy in bulk) are a great deal, sell new, and have delivery available with independents delivering for cash. You could resell the fridge or whatever doesn't match or donate for the write off. If you get the right deal you can get the whole set for less than one piece at the big box hardware stores.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I "remodeled" my kitchen a few years ago - that is to say, I moved it all to the adjacent room, so I had a blank slate so to speak. It is my pride and joy because I designed it and chose everything myself (and then had to watch the Home Depot people like a hawk so they wouldn't mess up my design, lol!) AND I stayed within my budget.

- diswasher; we got an Asko (swedish) and it's working great. The main thing for us was it had to be stainless steel inside. Plastic gets dirty and disgusting. It's white, but easy to clean.

- stove: I didn't want a hood, so we went with a GE downdraft, glass top. I love it, it is SO easy to clean! And not having a hood saves room for storage.

- fridge: it's a GE with the freezer on the bottom. That was another of my requirements, since I have a bad back. No bending when opening the fridge!

Both fridge and stove are SS but it's a "special" kind that doesn't stain/mark as much as regular SS.

Can't help you with the microwave - I don't have one!

Cabinets are Home Depot, natural hickory, and holding up fine.
    Counter is Silestone (95% compressed quartz stone). I LOVE it. You can cut on it, put hot dishes on it, it looks great, the color we chose doesn't show dirt/stains at all, and it is cheaper than marble/granite.

Good luck, and have fun remodeling!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

You may want to aviod GE Profie ovens:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...hlight=chicken

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Thanks for the info. Lots to think about. Certainly the most I have thought about kitchen appliances!

And my oven would likely starve before it had a chicken to hold hostage!

We recently replaced a GE Profile dishwasher (2 years old and a piece of cr*p) with a Bosch and it is incredible. I heart that thing. We even went with the just-above-entry level model, which was less expensive than the GE was originally. I also have a lovely GE SS fridge, which works great, except the ice maker kicked the bucket after less than a year. So, IME, I would maybe stay away from GE!!

JanM...am laughing my butt off about "dusting your cooktop." Awesome!

Sophie...brand new kitchen and no photos? No fair! You love the Silestone? Silestone or Zodiaq are my #1 choices for counters for a kitchen re-do. Manufactured stone tops rate higher in durability and quality than natural stone does, so much cheaper too. And quartz is actually better than granite, but everyone is still on the granite rules high, LOL! Granite is really nice, but it's not the toughest material.

At some point I'd love to gut and redo my kitchen...can't reface as the cabinet bases/frames are shot under the paint (I painted them) so need a complete change if I do it. Since my cabinets are repainted I won't bother with new counters now. Why put a new fancy dress on an old whore?

MsM...just keep checking sales and then double check sales items against consumer reports/BBB/etc. Even if you don't buy from Sears, do try their online site for appliances and try their live help thingy. They can give you a buttload of helpful info and hidden sales ideas even if you don't end up buying there.
    And they have tons of inventory...just did a quick check and for dishwashers alone they have 393 different models. When I bought my appliances there, when checking fridges online there were over 900 models. Nobody else had close to that amount to choose from.

New appliances really make a kitchen look fantastic. I adore mine...and they're almost 2 years old now I think. But then I'm a kitchen freak...I live in this room, LOL!

Don't forget the before and after photos!!!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

OMG! I forgot about the GE Profile problems. And that poor chicken.

You definitely need to decide and purchase the appliances before planning the cabinets, since there is a big problem if you get the huge fridge and it doesn't fit in the right place you have a big problem. And for fridges, I think an oversized space is great if you can do it. Some people really love the huge double fridge / freezers, and you need room for that if you want to have an oversized freezer compartment instead of a separate freezer. And make sure you look at all of the requirements for space between the hood and stove top since that can really impact your layout. I really love the 42" tops, and even though you don't use that space except for storage stuff (because crawling up there is a pain) for seasonal or extra things I loved my taller cabinets. IKEA used to have an online kitchen planner, and I think other retailers should too. I bought Kraftmaid (I think that's the name) for my last kitchen, and the big box store did a detail for not too much money (about $35 or so I think) and they are semi-custom. You pick the finish, the colors and door styles, plus you can get custom pieces. They deliver them right to you, and you can have the installers from the big box store do the order for you so you don't leave out filler pieces or such. You can then get your own installers to do the work if you want. And some big independent kitchen cabinet places have installers you choose from (Cabinets to go is one, and if I see one more of their ads this week I might scream) that might be cheaper than the installers from big box stores.

There are also people like IKEA and others that sell decent cabinets, but you have to assemble them, and they are still good quality. That might be an easier way to go, and some (I think Ikea and a few others) have installation systems where you put up a horizontal rail, hook the cabinets on it, and then position them, and screw them to the wall studs. Where they jack the price up is on inserts like turntables, spice racks, and other pull outs. You really have to decide what bells and whistles you get with them. And getting huge drawers instead of so many lower shelf/doors like conventional cabinets are popular also.

And recently on the house hunters shows there are buyers complaining about which granite edge and color you get. I can't believe buyers actually get upset because you didn't pick the color or style of granite-I guess you're supposed to have a crystal ball now.

The microhood height might depend on the local or state building code for height. Apparently people who actually use their stoves regularly (not that I would know except by hearing about it) can scorch the bottom, and there's something about height of range hood fan and air circulation being more efficient. Plus you really don't want to have to clean the bottom of the microhood everytime you do something that splashes a lot. And you can do a dynamite backsplash yourself using 4" x 4" or 4" x 6" shiny bathroom tiles, with an accent piece in the middle and save a bundle, or get all glass small sized tiles on a mesh backing very inexpensively, and instead of an expensive tile mosaic you use two 12" x 12" glass tile on mesh sections centered above the cooktop.
    Last edited by JanM; Jan. 3, 2012 at 03:06 PM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Thanks. Worked with the kitchen designer, so we talked about sizes, etc. Everything is pretty standard/modest.
    Left enough room for a standard refrigerator. He warned me that the big side-by-side wouldnt fit well. Not a problem for my small house and I would rather have the three extra inches of cabinet and counter space. Dishwasher is standard size. Stove is 30". The micro over top is fairly low - my choice. He started out having it higher which a lot of people like for tall pots on the stove, but since I actually use the microwave and I am short, I wanted it lower. Cabinets go to the ceiling with a nice molding detail on top. Oh, and recessed lights in the new ceiling - goodbye jellyjar lights!
    Cabinets will be ordered tomorrow and I will get a tentative delivery date. Can't actually get appliances delivered until I have the places to put them!

We purchased a stainless steel french door Samsung refrigerator in June of 2011, and we know three other couples with new Samsung fridges, and we all love them. I'd very highly recommend it.