The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Any suggestions for catching this poor dog

My boarding barn backs up to a neighborhood. On Christmas day, this Rottie was running lose and you could tell he just wanted to go home.

I called the Barn Manager....he found out that the dog lived at the house right behind the barn and after the dog didn't go home after the second day, he went over to see the owner.

Ready for this.....Owner tells BM that the dog is usually chained. Got lose and now no one can catch him, she called animal control, but they couldn't catch him either...and told BM to do whatever he needed to do. Basically $#$#$#()*#(& owner doesn't want the dog and doesn't give a rat's ass as to what happens to him.

Yesterday one of the girls who works in rescue was out riding her horse and saw the dog. She called AC and asked them to come set a trap on Tuesday since no one can catch him and the high on Tuesday with windchill will be in the teens. He's skinny and has a short coat, he won't survive out there this winter.

She and I went to the back of the property with a bowl of food yesterday hoping to get him to come close enough to eat the food..the poor thing is terrified, he did everything he could to avoid us, we couldn't get near him. And the saddest thing....the dog wants to go home, but we discovered that the lady has a female Rottie that has basically told him to get lost and she would chase him away if he even tried.

So here's this poor dog, who even though no one wants him, wants to go home. Owner doesn't want him. AC has been called and because of his breed and his skiddish nature, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what is going to happen to him. My friend and I are going to try again today. If she could help him, she would..but she's got to get her hands on him. I bought some smelly canned dog food last night at the grocery store, hoping that might help.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tractor Supply has an irresistible dog treat, comes in a purple package, cannot remember the name of it, but the aroma should be enticing. You might lay a trail of the little treats from wherever dog was last seen with the major stash being in the trap? Good luck and keep us posted. (I hate people who chain dogs and do not allow them to be part of 'the pack'!)
    ETA, he probably is dehydrated and would be more enticed by a big bowl of water than food at this point.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Can you get ahold of a coyote trap? It's a humane trap, just very large. You can bait it with wet food. You'll have to check the trap at least once a day.

My sister trapped a young dog that had gone slightly feral. It had been dumped and was living behind a Wal -Mart. AC loaned her the trap,and she went out there baiting and checking it until she caught the dog. He's now snoring on her couch. Happy ending for him.

If nothing else, since the temps are going to drop and you know where he hangs out you could put out an Igloo or other shelter with some blankets.

Poor thing. I hope you are able to catch him and find him a better home. Good luck.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Awww....no suggestions but the water is probably a good try.

I have a friend who is involved with Rottweiler Rescue...I can ask her for some resources so the poor guy doesn't end up in the kill shelter if he does get caught....

Where are you located?

Catching dogs in this situation can be a frustrating experience!

Getting a large live trap and having the patience to wait (and remove unwanted trapees) is likely your best bet.

To try to catch him actively, you still need patience. Try walking in the area and gently tossing some smelly treat to the ground while you walk away. Hopefully he will get closer as you go. Eventually stop moving and wait for him to eat his treat closer to you.(stand facing 3/4 away from him) Since he isnt really feral, he may be willing to come up to you at some point and you can calmly put a slip lead on. If not, I would try to lure him to an enclosed area. ACOs may try putting the noose on the ground around the treat and slipping it on when the dog reaches for the food, but this can be dangerous as you will now have a scared Rottie attached to the other end of the lead! It takes some knowledge to handle that safely.

My former BO had sort of the same situation with a mastiff who turned up after Hurricane Floyd, hiding in the woods that bordered her farm.

Only in their case, each one was terrified of the other. So it was pretty funny to watch her creep up to the edge of the woods from the farm, as the mastiff crept closer to the border of the farm from the woods. At first she'd throw the food and they'd both run. But after about two weeks, they both figured out the other wasn't a danger. Butch wound up living at BO's farm for another six or seven years, until he died of old age.

If you have time (given the dangers of cold weather and people who might harm him) I think gradual habituation works best. But if not, I'd try a live trap.

What about getting sedatives from the vet to put in the food? Sometimes once these guys are caught, they remember they are not feral. Put him in a stall or kennel until a Rottweiler rescue can pick him up if no one wants to keep him.

If he is hanging out in a certain area, you can put food/water/blankets or Igloo there at the same time each day. In a 2week or so, he should be waiting for you. Then start leaving pieces of fried chicken (without bones), for a couple of days. Then walk over there, with some chicken, and try to get him to let you hand feed him. Then try to loop a leash around him.

That's if the trapping doesn't work.

Get on a horse and get a lasso!

Thanks guys. Saw him when I got to the barn but haven't seen him since. We put him a bowl of food and water out. If anyone knows of rescue near Youngsville NC (about 35 min north of Raleigh). Pm me

Do you think he would come if there was another dog? Does someone at the barn have a friendly dog? That might encourage the poor guy.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Do you think he would come if there was another dog? Does someone at the barn have a friendly dog? That might encourage the poor guy.
    What a great idea! If the loose one sees the other dog getting positive attention and treats, it might give the other one courage to approach. It seems that this dog is just very wary of people, with good reason.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

He's terrified of the farm dogs....we've tried putting them up when we've tried to get close to him.

Just a very, very sad situation. It breaks my heart. You see a dog like this and you just want him to have a chance in a good home...he's known nothing but a chain and apparently alot of neglect.

Please keep trying. Poor thing.

Good luck.
    I was once involved involved in a situation in which a much smaller dog had to be trapped because she was *extremely* skittish when she was running loose. It took a few days to get her into the trap-I think she had to get used to it. Finally, she went in. It was obvious that she was scared, but when we opened up the trap she was actually not as fearful as you would have thought. She was really pretty sociable and after a few days of fairly limited interaction (basically fed, watered, and taken out throughout the day, she became pretty friendly. Based on her behavior outside, I expected her to be too fearful to be petted and hard to handle. She did get a bit scared at times, but she was nothing like I'd expected. I would encourage you to try a humane trap if you can get a hold of one big enough. Some dogs get out and just get where you can't catch them.

Bait the trap with something from the original home, like an old blanket? So sad, the idea of that poor dog wanting to go back and getting ordered off.

Sometimes, nothing more than a little time and patience (and okay some treats/food and water). I once spent a good 2-3 hours outside coaxing a pit mix puppy from underneath my mom's neighbor's bay window. She was growling out of fear. Scared and skittish. SKINNY as all get out. I just sat down and waited her out. Talked to her soothingly, offered the food/water. She came around, bit by bit, and we were able to get her out of there, and once she realized we were Good People, she was all tail-wagging, face-licking happy.

If you can get close enough to him to just wait him out, I would try that. But then again, I'm stubborn as hell, I'll wait anything out. Wish I were closer, so I could give it a shot! Hope he opens up to you and that you find a way to help him!

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    My former BO had sort of the same situation with a mastiff who turned up after Hurricane Floyd, hiding in the woods that bordered her farm.

Only in their case, each one was terrified of the other. So it was pretty funny to watch her creep up to the edge of the woods from the farm, as the mastiff crept closer to the border of the farm from the woods. At first she'd throw the food and they'd both run. But after about two weeks, they both figured out the other wasn't a danger. Butch wound up living at BO's farm for another six or seven years, until he died of old age.

If you have time (given the dangers of cold weather and people who might harm him) I think gradual habituation works best. But if not, I'd try a live trap.

I can see that in front of my inner eye!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Wet dog food is stinkier and more appealing to dogs...maybe an open can of that? If you're really desperate, try to get some canned green tripe. The stench might knock you backwards when you open it, but it might lure him in.

Failing that, check out any rescues - not shelters - nearby. Most are willing to help, especially if you explain the situation. Doesn't need to be breed specific, either. The rescues up here are amazing and continually go out and find dogs in need, provide food and shelter for the ones they can't take in, and will spend days trying to trap dogs and pups in order to bring them in. Most city run shelters won't do that...so your best bet is to google for a rescue nearby.

Good luck...it breaks my heart that this poor dog is having to go through this. Thank you for looking out for him!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Oh, this really breaks my heart. We had a similar situation here, two dumped dogs, AC trapped one, and it took 14 months for us (me and my neighbors) to finally catch the other. I had a very lengthy thread about the experience here a few years ago, with many good suggestions from the kind folks here on COTH.

Jingles for the dog and for you that he can be caught and rehomed.

Here is my saga (if you have a day or two to weed through it):

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=181801

I found that steak and liverwurst and cheese and chicken and hotdogs worked really well, based on suggestions and trial and error.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams