The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Boring New Year's Eve Club

Anybody else just not get it? The parties, the events, watching the ball drop, etc.?

I'm delighted to see 2011 pass, as the year was tough in many ways. I enjoy getting a new one, and my first thought this morning was, "Welcome, 2012!"

BUT I had that first thought at 5:00 a.m. as I woke up. When the New Year crossed that midnight barrier, I was sound asleep. It managed to come without my help.

I've just never understood the attraction all my life of the "party" occasion of it. Yawn. In fact, I make extra efforts to not go anywhere New Year's Eve after dark, because of the increased chance of running into those who have partied unwisely and are driving.

I stay home, and I go to bed. Every year. The sleep just means more to me than watching some ball drop or the minute hand move on my clock.

Anybody else a habitual "boring New Year's Eve" celebrant and perfectly happy that way?

Well... the highlight of my NYE was taking a shower and washing my hair using both hands - I'm enjoying every opportunity I get to use my left hand, since after Tuesday, it'll be in a sling for 6 weeks!

I'm such an exciting person.

Ever since I had a very close call driving back from a NYE party in the snow many years ago -- the other car didn't see or ignored a 4-way stop sign, while fortunately I was sober and wary enough to lag back after my stop from making a left turn in front of it -- I've been reluctant to go out to NYE parties unless they're held by neighbors or at a place where I'm staying (e.g., Y2K on Marco Island).

When it's just two people at home (or one), somehow the New Year Eve experience isn't as engaging. Have never hosted a NYE party; that could be interesting.

All through the holidays this year I've had a sick critter or two that kept me close to home.
    Last edited by Adamantane; Jan. 1, 2012 at 09:33 AM. Reason: clarity
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s up with years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

We have a quiet little party at home, basically just sit up till midnight and then head to bed, and we've done that for years. It's fun enough and not dangerous at all.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Hubby and I stayed home. We did stay up until midnight and watched the ball drop, but other than having a nice steak dinner (at home) we were both happy to do nothing this year. Hubby just spent 6 months in Honduras and he got back on the 20th and then 2 days later we drove 7 hours to his parents in FL for a few days over Christmas. I also have been travelling.. went to Scotland for a week to visit my mom in October, went and visited the hubby in Honduras for two weeks over Thanksgiving and then of course FL last weekend. I was more than happy to be the "boring married couple" last night lol.

I am included in the 'go to bed before midnight' group. My husband and I are both quite happy to ignore the party hoopla and rest, read, and be asleep before midnight. One of the last things I want is to go to a party with a group of loud overly stimulated drunks.

My NYEs are spent making sure the horses aren't panicking from fireworks. Same as July 4th.

Luckily, last night most fireworks were off in the distance, and even the close ones were the low-pitched booming kind rather than the high-pitched squealing kind that really freaks the horses out. So there was some circling in the stalls, but mostly just looking out the windows with intense interest.

Guess the horses had a more exciting NYE than I did!

I am a stay at homer. I was in the store the other day and the chashier asked what I was doing for New Years. I said nothing, going to bed early. The lady behind me gave me a funny look and asked me if I really wasn't staying up. I said no, I have to get up at 5:30. She gave me another look like she had never heard of 5:30 a.m.

It seems that last night everyone around me had gone to the Res to buy illegal fireworks. I felt like we were under attack so I guess I was up after all. Thankfully none of the horses killed themselves although I will have to wait until daylight to see if there were any injuries. The dog didn't turn herself inside out either this year so I guess it was a successful night.

We stayed in as well, had a delicious steak dinner and nice bottle of wine. Went I went out at 11 to do my barn check it was very still and pretty warm for this time of year, and suddenly there was a whole display of fireworks (just for me I'm sure!) in the distance. It was lovely.

Well dh and I aer ''party poopers'' we were invited to go to a party but.. meh not into parties much..

So last night dh, kids and I stayed home I played original zelda on the wii, dh was tinkering on his puter, ds' were doing what ever. Had some pizza( frozen type 2 for 5$) pop then went to bed. think I was probably asleep by 10.. Dogs woke us up at 2 small bladders then went back to sleep until around 5ish.

I have never been a ''night owl'' so I guess I never knew what the hoopla was all about when I could be comfortably checking for light leaks...
    Friend of bar .ka

While in a relationship the past 4 years, 3 of our New Year's Eves were spent in, with SO falling asleep on the couch, and me having to give him an elbow to wake him up for midnight...although I had nodded off for a few minutes along the way myself...

This year, although a little melancholy alone, I really had a pretty good time - the cat & dog kept me company, watched Dick Clark - wondering if my son and his girlfriend were there. I got some paperwork knocked off, and the weather is just fine for this time of year.

My big excitement was that it was warm enough to bring home B's blanket, wash it, and hang it out to begin to air dry overnight!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Well, my mom went to Savannah with friends, so she'd asked me to stay with my grandmother. Grandma is 93 and doesn't really NEED anyone to stay with her, as she's quite sharp and self-sufficient, but she does feel a bit better to not be alone.

So DH and I took Grandma out to dinner at her favorite Mexican restaurant. Then we went home and watched the ball drop. Of course in Georgia they also have to feature the downtown celebration and the Dropping of the Giant Butt. (It's actually supposed to be a peach, but it looks more like a colossal pair of cheeks).

All in all, quite an enjoyable evening.

I watched Grimm, part of Lethal Weapon, moved on to Heartbeat at 10PM and Midsomer Murders was on right after that. I woke up at 3AM when fat barn cat jumped on me and discovered I had managed to sleep through all three parts save the last few minutes and my back aches something fierce this morning (note to self - GO TO BED, don't sleep on the couch). Yep, had a wild evening......Haven't done anything for New Year's Eve for years now.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    My NYEs are spent making sure the horses aren't panicking from fireworks. Same as July 4th.

Luckily, last night most fireworks were off in the distance, and even the close ones were the low-pitched booming kind rather than the high-pitched squealing kind that really freaks the horses out. So there was some circling in the stalls, but mostly just looking out the windows with intense interest.

Guess the horses had a more exciting NYE than I did!
    Me too!! I haven't done anything for 4th of July or New Years Eve since moving to the farm. Good thing I like it this way!!

I have no interest in driving anywhere on New Years Eve, amateur night.

I love new years day- if you get up early, it's the quietest day of the year.

hahahaha my mom tells my dad that I sucked down champane lastnight even before the ball dropped!!

Mr P and I sat in the hot tub and drank a bottle of sparkling something or other, boutght because the bottle was pretty and were in beed before 10.

But heck, It's New Years somewhere
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

It's funny, I am in the middle of a debate right now with a friend because I didn't make it to midnight, and yes, 2012 arrived without me there to usher it in.
    While I am excited to put an end to 2011 (please let's not do that again), I also knew that early am chores were still going to waiting on me. Much easier to do with a full night's rest sans hangover!

I was curled up with the dogs last night by 8:30. Cruised around the internet for a few hours, played a couple games, read a book, and was asleep before 1. I had the balldrop on the tv but it was muted - the dogs didn't like the noise.

Yep, one more boring person....
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

I watched Kathy Griffin torture Anderson Cooper for an hour, and then went to bed.
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.