The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite healthy snacks & tips for how to cure the sweet tooth... PLEASE!!!

I'm going to really give it a game try to make some lifestyle changes by dropping some weight and getting more active. I am TERRIBLE at grabbing fast food and I have a horrible sweet tooth. On top of that I'm a horrible cook and seem to have about zero time.

I hope that I can actually make progress this year... so what are your favorite snacks, ways to stay feeling full, tips on curing a sweet tooth, and tips for success!
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

What about cutting up a bunch of different veggies and put in ziploc baggies or little containers in the fridge that you can just grab on the run.

P.

I carry almonds with me in a container and munch on them.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Look at what you're REALLY craving in the treats you eat -- it's NOT going to be sugar, which is a poison. If it's chocolate, carry little wrapped Dove minis or other good quality chocolate without a lot of sugar. If you're going for oatmeal cookies, make a BOWL of oatmeal with raisins, butter and brown sugar. YUM!!!

The BIGGEST hint I can give is to get up early in the morning, 5 a.m. or so. This puts your body back in balance, so you sleep at night and have energy throughout the day.

Check out Ayur-Veda, the Indian system of medicine, to find out what your particular body type(s) is(are) and your current imbalances, and the simple lifestyle and diet changes to cure it all.

Good luck, and it IS work. But aren't you worth it?

Graham crackers instead of cookies. I keep a supply of cinnamon and chocolate graham crackers in my cupboard, and I eat 1-2 at night with my cup of Sleepytime tea instead of cookies.

A package of Nestle's dark chocolate chips in your cupboard for those chocolate cravings. They are larger than regular semi-sweet chips and smaller than, say, a Hershey's Kiss. When I really have a chocolate craving I eat a few of these.

My resolution last year was to get fit and lose some weight, and I dropped 40-45 pounds and am now able to string together 3 sub-10 minutes miles in a 5k, so I speak from experience.

Fruit and veggies-- the key is to cut them up or whatever so that they are in ready to eat portions and you can just grab a handful/ forkful. In the summer I'll buy a cantelope, a honeydew and a watermelon, and spend an hour or so cutting them all into bite size chunks. This time a year it's canned pineapple or canned pears, and I eat at least a big bag of the baby carrots a week year round.

I like those little 100 calorie packs of chocolate pretzels. Just have to make sure you limit yourself to 1 packet!

The only way I've ever been able to combat my sweet tooth successfully is to avoid sweets altogether. After about a week, the cravings go away completely. I'm about to start the process again, once I take care of the remaining chocolate bars and whatnot given to me over the holidays. Since it's very rude to throw out gifts, I'll need to eat quite a lot of chocolate today... poor me!

As for healthy eating in general, I find whole grains to be filling. Nuts are pretty satisfying too.

dry your own fruit. Experiment with sprinkling spices on apples before you dry them. I sprinkled cinnamon on apples, dried them, and was amazed at how sweet they were! That would give you your fix in a healthy way!

Quote Originally Posted by WendellsGirl View Post
    I like those little 100 calorie packs of chocolate pretzels. Just have to make sure you limit yourself to 1 packet!
    Hmmm... I LOVE chocolate pretzels!!! This may be a GREAT idea... I hope I can find them!!!
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

don't carry any cash on you. Ever. If you have to use your credit card or go locate an ATM you're much less likely to swing through the drive-thru or visit the vending machine.

Anyway, cure for the sweet tooth: do a zero-carbs two-week diet. Sweet tooth will die. "Sweet tooth" is just a symptom of your blood sugar bouncing up and down in response to eating carbs and sugar, so if you remove the cause, it goes away. Note that many so-called "healthy" foods, like fruits, are full of sugar and will contribute to "sweet tooth" cravings. Eat like you have diabetes instead.

I've also found that often if I find myself craving a soda or something really sweet, that I'm actually thirsty... even if I don't feel thirsty! I can chug a bunch of water and the craving goes away - and sometimes my brain will even go "oh wait, yeah I was just thirsty". I've only recently discovered this while trying to make some changes in food/drink choices so who knows how long I've been choosing sugar over water!
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

I'm a horrible sugar addict, and the only thing that has ever really broken the sugar cravings for me was eating healthily by following the South Beach Diet. Worked for my mom too. The first couple of weeks are tough--breaking the craving cycle, but after that it's amazing how freeing it is not to "need" sugar all the time!

If you feel like you can't give up sugar, then clearly you have an addiction problem and thus the best thing you CAN do is GIVE UP THE SUGAR. Sounds like you should look into this:

http://www.the21daysugardetox.com/

ANYTHING that you feel like you can't live without is something that you absolutely need to eliminate from your life for a period of time in order to reset your body. It's time to regain control of yourself and your cravings! You need to find the more deeply rooted issue here - is it the sugar itself or the "instant energy" that the sugar might provide? What other foods are you eating that might contribute to this? Is your diet loaded with carbs from breads, rice, corn, etc? These metabolize as sugars, quick energy foods.

So, my advice is to get rid of all processed sugars (sugar from fruits, veggies, real foods are okay - but no honey, stevia, etc) for a period to reset your body and figure out what exactly you are having trouble with.

I allow myself to have one sugary treat per week, on the weekend. That way I don't feel deprived as I have something to look forward to. It's actually fairly satisfying to turn over the different possibilities during the week--"should I have the big slice of chocolate cake, the cheesecake or the whole candy bar..." I really do feel so much better when I don't eat sugar, but once a week does not seem to cause a problem.
    Mon Ogon (Mo) and Those Wer the Days (Derby)

I find, when I'm getting off of sugar, that I can have HONEY without triggering more sugar cravings later.

I also have to eliminate processed grains at the same time, or nothing changes for me.

I gave up all sugared drinks two months ago. Amazing how much I enjoy water now! But when I want something sweet, I chew a piece of sugarless gum. At one or two pieces a day, I find it does the job. I don't feel the need to grab some cookies.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    don't carry any cash on you. Ever. If you have to use your credit card or go locate an ATM you're much less likely to swing through the drive-thru or visit the vending machine.

Anyway, cure for the sweet tooth: do a zero-carbs two-week diet. Sweet tooth will die. "Sweet tooth" is just a symptom of your blood sugar bouncing up and down in response to eating carbs and sugar, so if you remove the cause, it goes away. Note that many so-called "healthy" foods, like fruits, are full of sugar and will contribute to "sweet tooth" cravings. Eat like you have diabetes instead.
    Second this. I have a friend who tried everything and is knowledgeable about what is and is not healthy and is a good cook. She wants to lose about 30 lbs. Should be a recipe for success, right? She failed miserably at diet after diet, got a personal trainer, didn't lose any inches, etc. She did the Dukan Diet (low carb) and lost about 14lbs in 3 weeks. She stumbled a bit over the holidays but only gained back 3 lbs and is back on track now.

I will say that the reason "diets" don't work in the long run is that people don't change their lifestyle...you are still looking for ways to have your sweets and lose weight. Guess what? Sweets need to be a thing of the past until you are very solid in your weight loss, then you can add in the occasional dessert as long as you don't get crazy. You definitely will stop craving the sweets if you get them out of your system and get your body stabilized for a week or two.

Wanted to add, favorite healthy snacks for me are a whole cucumber, sliced up and eaten with either some hummus or just salt and pepper (very filling and takes me a while to eat it, so I get time to realize I'm full). I also like string cheese, greek yogurt (plain, not flavored- too much sugar in flavored versions), turkey pepperoni, and chocolate protein shakes.

Dark chocolate almond butter. 9 grams of sugar per serving

72 percent dark chocolate. Nothing less and absolutely no milk chocolate

Tea. Half sweet half unsweet