The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

So, in contrast to the poor service I received from Dover, today I received an email from SmartPak with a code for 15% off of any joint supplement. Great, right? Great, except I just ordered a 56 day supply of Sr. Joint Supplement from SmartPak last week and received it YESTERDAY. I called SmartPak customer service and asked if they would honor the discount since I had just ordered a 56 day supply and the discount expires on January 31st.

The SmartPak customer service rep was extremely helpful and said "no problem". She applied the 15% discount to the order I had placed last week and credited my credit card for $11. Now that's customer service!

3 members found this post helpful.

I also ordered paddock boots from them a month ago (my mom ordered them for christmas) and they haven't come yet :/ If only smarkpak carried everything dover does..

Quote Originally Posted by Star's Ascent View Post
    I was going to mention VS also. You can return it there but they will not refund you. It has to be sent to the HQ and they refund you when it shows up
    This seems to be fairly common, and I believe that is Dover's policy as well, you're dealing with different inventories and all that. I worked at the Gap for years and they had the same policy, online/call center items needed to be sent back for refund, they could not be refunded at the store level.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have not read this whole thread, and won't just from the title, but IMO personal rants because an individual had a personal issue with a retailer are not the intended use of this board.

For things where fit matters, go to a store. If you are ordering apparel for the first time on-line, don't expect a perfect fit. If you don't get lucky with fit, and you want your money back, return the item from where it came from. If you want an exchange at a local store, call first to see if they have what you want. Those are my on-line shopping expectations.
    Last edited by ToTheNines; Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
    friend of bar.ka

5 members found this post helpful.

I shop/support my local tack stores. I want them to remain in business. The difference in price is minimal and well worth a few extra bucks to help keep them in my local horsey community.

If you don't watch out, they'll all be gone.

I don't feed supplements so have no use for SmartPak, really.
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffani B View Post
    Interesting - I feel the opposite about the new store LOL! I knew they wouldn't have as much stock as the website but I always call before I go. The reps have been VERY helpful and friendly, running to get me boot after boot to try on, helping me find gloves and even helping me find a bit. I like the layout, it's well organized and clean (especially compared to the former saddle shop, oy!). I'm definitely glad they're nearby and will be frequenting them... frequently!

But for online orders, I'm a Smartpak gal all the way.
    I always call the store and check to see if they have something before I go. The stores just do not carry a LOT of the merchandise that it is in the catalog (especially helmets).

And, I only go to a store when I am headed that way for something else since it is at least a 2.5 hour drive to the closest one. I got so fed up with the crazy shipping costs that I only order from Dover unless Smartpak doesn't have it!

So, when I get a Dover catalog and I see something I like, I immediately check the Smartpak website. Almost every time, the price is comparable (within a $1 or $2), but the shipping with Smartpak is cheaper and much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    I shop/support my local tack stores. I want them to remain in business. The difference in price is minimal and well worth a few extra bucks...
    I do try to support my local tack shops but it's getting harder and harder... Some items cost 20% more before tax is added!! And the low stock can be a problem. Where the prices are close, great. But not when I'm paying an additional $30-60 for a pricey item.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

1 members found this post helpful.

I try my hardest to use local stores. The only thing I really don't on is supplements, grooming supplies, and saddle pads. I get all my clothes, boots, saddles, etc, at the local stores.

I just shop at my local tack store, I rather pay a few extra dollars and support them.

I normally don't buy equestrian gear or related products online because I have 4 tack shops within about 1/2 hour drive from home. If I need something, I just show up to some of the local stores.

I used to shop almost exclusively at Dover's since they (a) are very close to where I live (b) have a nice selection of stuff and (c) have very friendly and helpful employees. Some of the other shops in my area didn't have comparable customer service which is important to me.

Things have changed though. Lately, I'm finding that the Dover's employees don't seem as attentive to the customer as they used to be. The staff often seem rushed and don't spend as much time with you as they used to. Meanwhile some of the shops that were known for being less friendly are now putting a lot of effort into being really helpful.

I was also quite surprised to visit one of the stores that is known for being very pricey and to find a nice selection of reasonably priced white show shirts (~$60 or so), something that I couldn't find at Dover's. My choices at Dover's were around $100-$200. So now I don't bother going to Dovers for that kind of stuff.

I feel very bad for the people who work at the Dovers store because I think they are generally very nice people, but the company is behind the times.
    Last edited by SnicklefritzG; Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:21 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

I bought two Dover Brand saddles from them a couple of year back. First I had a Circuit and then I bought a Wylde. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. I used to buy everything from them, but since the issue with the saddle I haven't been back. Which is tough, because I do really like the saddles. I frequent a local tack shop (St. Croix Saddlery, Christy is the best) and buy other necessities from smartpak and even schneiders.

Dover has recently opened a shop in the Minneapolis area and I would be interested to see how they have been doing since I know a large number of people who refuse to shop there. I myself do my best to let all of the beginner riders I am in contact with know that Dover is not the way to go, they'll screw you over every time.

Dover really should think about their shipping and handling rates. Every time I need to return something, I think how much $ I spent to get... Nothing. When I return something to SmartPak, I pay nothing. SmartPak has the smarter business model for keeping their customers coming back. Poor management is going to bite Dover in the ass...
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

You know I can not understand why they will not refund you when you have the receipt. I mean I am sorry but if the store and online services is the same company then they can not refuse your refund period. Paid by Credit card should be returned to Credit card.. IF there the same company and operated as one then they can not Treat it as separate.

It's like Walmart I order something didn't fit so I got to the service desk return to my card... So what Dover doing is pretty dumb and silly because all they doing is giving back experience which means less business. I mean to get a refund back and has to be sent back to them MUST clearly say online if it doesn't;t they don't stand a chance on refunds!

Just tried unsuccessfully to pay for an item to be picked up at a store. Online chat tells me I can't do it but they'd be happy to ship the item. I want my brother in law to pick it up because he is 5 mins away from a store. Nope.

I'm going to pay $13 to have something shipped when he could go in and pick it up? He's SO not good with shopping.

They tell me that the stores won't do phone orders.

I really like Smartpak. Never had any problems and the customer service is amazing. If they don't carry something then I'll go to a local tack store.

I believe they have to keep it separate because they don't charge sales tax on catalog and online sales to states where they have stores. They say it is a separate company. If I purchase an item from j crew online, they charge me sales tax because they have bricks and mortar stores in my state. However, this is not the case with Dover which also has a store in my state. I don't understand how they get away with it but they do.

Dover works for me because I have a store near-by where I can order anything in the catalog and they will ship it to me for free. I agree, their online shipping charges are way too high. I'm surprised they haven't figured out that they are losing a lot of business because of this.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Here is my recent Dover experience,
    I ordered a pair of half chaps that didn't fit right. I shipped them back to exchange them. This was two weeks ago. The package was received by Dover Saturday the 11th. The only reason I was aware the package was received and signed for was the UPS notification. Here is the really messed up part!! They haven't even processed the exchange yet. They told me, " Returns should be shipping it out today or early next week." So it takes two weeks to exchange something? Seems a little odd. If these don't fit right, I am selling them on Ebay and just buying the right size through Smartpak...facepalm..

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I can't think of one company that DOESN'T allow you to order online and then return to the store. Banana Republic/GAP/OLD Navy, Ann Taylor, all the Limited Brands, all the department stores, Target, Land's End lets you return to Sears, Best Buy... I literally can't think of a store that prohibits "same brand" returns to a store from online?!
    I haven't been on here in forever, but two things:

Gap does not let you return for a cash refund in store what you ordered online any longer. Just experienced this. Store credit or exchange only.

2nd - I just exchanged a pair of breeches I ordered online - in a Dover retail store no problem. They informed me that if they didn't have the size I needed they could get it for me through the catalog and ship to me. While we were there, my friend mentioned her Ariat half chaps had a blow out in them after only 9 months of use. Manager said that shouldn't happen, told us to bring them to her and she'd make sure my friend got a replacement pair.
    Additionally, last year, I ordered a pair of the Dublin River boots, they ended up being HUGE on me. I was able to ship them back and have a new pair shipped back to me - didn't cost me a penny.

My experience with Dover and their CS has been great all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortstroke View Post
    I believe they have to keep it separate because they don't charge sales tax on catalog and online sales to states where they have stores. They say it is a separate company. If I purchase an item from j crew online, they charge me sales tax because they have bricks and mortar stores in my state. However, this is not the case with Dover which also has a store in my state. I don't understand how they get away with it but they do.
    I get charged sales tax on online orders now that there's a Dover store in my state. That's not the reason (or, rather, it's not a legitimate reason). Somehow most retailers manage to return items at different tax rates bought online.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/