The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Dover Saddlery - A New Low in Customer Service

My husband bought me a new pair of Grand Prix paddock boots from Dover for Christmas (I placed the order). When I placed the order, I asked the customer service rep if the Grand Prix boots ran true to size. She assured me that they did, so I ordered my normal size. She also assured me that if they didn't fit I could return them to our local Dover store. The boots arrived and they were so small I couldn't get them on my feet. So, I took the boots in their original box along with the receipt to our local Dover Store to return them. The "local" Dover store is a good 45 minute drive from where I live. The store didn't have the boot in stock in my size, and the store manager informed me that I could return the boots for store credit (which I didn't want, since they didn't have the boot in my size), but that the store couldn't refund my husband's credit card for the purchase! She said that their retail stores are now considered a separate business from the catalog, so if I wanted a refund, I needed to ship the boots back to Dover in MA!

Really, what kind of crap is this? If the stores are considered "separate" business from the catalog sales, why could the store give me a store credit but no refund? Why did the customer service rep assure me that I could return the item to the store if they didn't fit? After this incident, I'll just shop my locally owned tack store. Their prices may be a bit higher, but at least they'll give me a refund!

Really Dover?

I would of just put a dispute on my credit card

Really, Dover. To dispute the charge I would have to not received the merchandise. I received the mrechandise, but I was informed that I could not receive a credit for the returned merchandise on my credit card at the store, that in order to receive credit I would have to send the merchandise back to Dover catalog sales. Shipping the merchandise back to Dover costs time and money. What a racket! What other retail store with catalog sales won't refund returns at their stores for merchandise purchased through the catalog?

Does Dover management feel that they can treat their customers so shabbily and expect us to continue shopping with them? Plus, the store had a sign by the cash register stating that if you pay for merchandise by check and the cost exceeds $50 they won't refund your money, THEY WILL ONLY ISSUE A STORE CREDIT. Who needs this crap?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time Rider View Post
    Really, Dover. To dispute the charge I would have to not received the merchandise. I received the mrechandise, but I was informed that I could not receive a credit for the returned merchandise on my credit card at the store, that in order to receive credit I would have to send the merchandise back to Dover catalog sales. Shipping the merchandise back to Dover costs time and money. What a racket! What other retail store with catalog sales won't refund returns at their stores for merchandise purchased through the catalog?

Does Dover management feel that they can treat their customers so shabbily and expect us to continue shopping with them? Plus, the store had a sign by the cash register stating that if you pay for merchandise by check and the cost exceeds $50 they won't refund your money, THEY WILL ONLY ISSUE A STORE CREDIT. Who needs this crap?
    Try calling Dover- explained what happened and do their return shipping label that they send the package with. My half chaps came and were too small and I needed to ride, I told them that and they said they would send another pair out free of charge but charge my acct until I sent the other pair back and then they reversed the charge. Plus, they sent the second pair free shipping fed ex 2 day.

That is terrible.

I have to say, the store manager of the one I went to was VERY helpful. They even refunded my dad's credit card (he bought me a hott wash and it was cracked).

I don't know when that policy went into effect.

Thumbs down Dover..... ( I still love you but you are making it hard!!!)
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

I have never had trouble with Dover on returns though I have always been able to get the correct size,color, whatever replacement I needed. had once bought a verynhigh end bridle that stretched terribly during a very wet show. when I called and complained that a bridle of this quality should never had stretched that much they immediately sent out another before I had the chance to send the other one back. I was impressed.

I had a similar problem, but was lucky that I had corresponded with Dover CS via email. When the clerk at the store told me I couldnt return them there (and if I did mail them back, I'd have to get store credit because I paid with paypal online), I whipped out my blackberry and showed her what the CS person said. Problem solved but she was less than friendly about it.
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

I intend to contact Dover after the New Year holiday and complain directly to a customer service manager. Bottom line, if Dover won't accept catalog returns at their stores except for store credit THEY NEED TO TELL THEIR CUSTOMERS THAT. The policy certainly isn't customer friendly, and doesn't make sense. If the stores and the catalog are two separate companies, as the store manager claimed, then why will they accept exchanges or offer store credit, but not process a credit card refund? I would think a credit card refund would be cleaner from an accounting prespective (no inventory issue).

Had their customer service rep known that the Grand Prix paddock boots run small, then I would have ordered the next size up. I specifically asked hre about sizing. Obviously, Dover doesn't keep track of sizing issues, or else the customer srevice rep didn't bother to research it.

Hmmm... I have always worn Grand Prix paddock boots and found them true to size. As far as Dover, I have fully transitioned to Smartpak!! Mostly because they don't charge me outrageous shipping prices!

5 members found this post helpful.

The grandd prix boot sizing (frantisi) has been reportedly wayyyy off since they switched manufacturers. Perhaps the CS rep didnt realize it. Still, dover should take back the boots.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Sounds like a bad experience but does sound like possible rep didn't know they no longer run true to size, not great customer service but not the worst either. As for driving 45 minutes to the store I would not have done that unless I had called ahead to determine if they had the ones I wanted in stock at the store and had them held for me. (just me -1 1/2 drive to return boots on the hope they had them would not have been an option to me)

Does seem silly they cannot just take the boots and return to Dover in MA for you and have Dover HQ give you a refund on your credit card right then and there, even if over phone. That is clearly what they should have done. However I do believe you can get a refund and free shipping to return the boots. Manager of store should have offered to do this for you.

Rep on phone that said you could return them to store should have advised you ahead of time that you cannot get refund on cc.

Worst customer service ever? Well not really, but enough to make you shop around I am sure. Personally I have had good experiences with Dover I do think they charge too much for shipping though, but I usually order a lot at once all closeout prices and end up saving money anyway.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    The grandd prix boot sizing (frantisi) has been reportedly wayyyy off since they switched manufacturers. Perhaps the CS rep didnt realize it. Still, dover should take back the boots.
    Wow, frantisi plus dover in the same transaction.

Double whammy!!

[QUOTE=bizbachfan;6054314]Sounds like a bad experience but does sound like possible rep didn't know they no longer run true to size, not great customer service but not the worst either. As for driving 45 minutes to the store I would not have done that unless I had called ahead to determine if they had the ones I wanted in stock at the store and had them held for me. (just me -1 1/2 drive to return boots on the hope they had them would not have been an option to me)

QUOTE]

I didn't call the store first to determine if they had my size in stock because I assumed if they didn't I could just get a refund (especially since the customre service rep said that I could return them to the store if they didn't fit). Our locally owned tack store did have the boots in stock in my size, so I figured I could return the boots to Dover, and if they didn't have my size in stock, get a refund and purchase the boots locally.

I would certainly call Dover and ask to speak to a manager and tell them what you experienced. Hopefully they will offer to compensate you some way, such as overnight you free of charge the new size and you can return the ones you have.

It was like pulling teeth for me recently to get them to replace a pair of Ariat paddocks with a defective zipper (broke the first time kid put them on). Product was purchased on sale in one of the stores. Store told me I could either return to them or ship back to headquarters. As I bought them when we were out of town at a show I was not about to drive 3.5 hours to return them to the store. HQ told me that boot was discontinued (so they said-available online in the same boot and size though) so they would not replace the boots, only refund what I spent. This I could understand if I just didn't like them but the product was defective (by their own admission as well!). Sale or not, they should have been replaced, no questions IMO.

I politely asked the customer service manager to review all the drop shipped items sent to our farm by customers for their horses (total was like $800 for the previous month alone) and told them that I was going to ask clients in the future to deal with other companies that offered better customer service. Viola! The boots were replaced. You should not have to threaten to take your business elsewhere in this day and age but sometimes that is what it takes. My advice would be to speak with the head of customer service.
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

[QUOTE=Prime Time Rider;6054537]
    Quote Originally Posted by bizbachfan View Post
    Sounds like a bad experience but does sound like possible rep didn't know they no longer run true to size, not great customer service but not the worst either. As for driving 45 minutes to the store I would not have done that unless I had called ahead to determine if they had the ones I wanted in stock at the store and had them held for me. (just me -1 1/2 drive to return boots on the hope they had them would not have been an option to me)

QUOTE]

I didn't call the store first to determine if they had my size in stock because I assumed if they didn't I could just get a refund (especially since the customre service rep said that I could return them to the store if they didn't fit). Our locally owned tack store did have the boots in stock in my size, so I figured I could return the boots to Dover, and if they didn't have my size in stock, get a refund and purchase the boots locally.
    Ah. Our local tack store does not refund either. Just store credit. Frustrating for certain.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

What other retail store with catalog sales won't refund returns at their stores for merchandise purchased through the catalog?
    Steinmart. Ask me how I know this...

Funny how they say the stores are a separate business, but they are happy to take your credit card in-store for an item shipped from the catalog!

This is why I have switched to SmartPak, they have much better prices and go above and beyond to make your order right.

Sorry for the poor experience and I hope you end up with a pair of boots that fit!

What other retail store with catalog sales won't refund returns at their stores for merchandise purchased through the catalog?
    Victoria's Secret treats their different channels as separate entities as well. Their retail stores will not accept web or catalog returns. However, the larger issue here isn't that Dover's business doesn't operate in a preferred manner between channels, but that a CS rep gave incorrect information about the returns process to a customer that created an unpleasant experience for the customer. That's not okay.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Quote Originally Posted by mg View Post
    Victoria's Secret treats their different channels as separate entities as well. Their retail stores will not accept web or catalog returns. However, the larger issue here isn't that Dover's business doesn't operate in a preferred manner between channels, but that a CS rep gave incorrect information about the returns process to a customer that created an unpleasant experience for the customer. That's not okay.

I was going to mention VS also. You can return it there but they will not refund you. It has to be sent to the HQ and they refund you when it shows up