The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default while you weenies are crying over War Horse...

I just saw My Friend Flicka! Omg, start the waterworks. "She's not loco, dad, she's not loco!" that little scamp roddy mcdowell!

And i'd sure like to know how they got that cat to fall out of the tree, looked like they actually shot him!!

My husband was scarred for life from seeing Old Yeller as a five-year-old.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Hey, I still cry when "Ol Yeller Dies".

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    My husband was scarred for life from seeing Old Yeller as a five-year-old.
    I believe I still live with scars from Bambi.

Quote Originally Posted by lesson junkie View Post
    I believe I still live with scars from Bambi.
    Major Bambi damage here. I literally used to pretend I lived in a thicket.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

There was an old movie about a boy who could speak to horses, but then his (?) racehorse fell and broke a leg...I don't remember if I cried, but I was shocked and my heart broke. I don't think I watched the end of the movie, either.

I can't remember the name of the movie.
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

Bluesy: I think you might be talking about Casey's Shadow. I loved that movie.

When I was about 6 or so, my father thought he would do a nice thing and take me to a movie. A kids movie, about a cute little otter called A Ring of Bright Water....I think. ANYWAY, sadly Dad did not know that toward the end of the movie, the cute little otter gets hit on the head with a shovel and killed. I sobbed for days, and for the longest time could not watch any animal movie for fear that the cute animal protagonist was going to die. My poor father, he might have been as traumatized as I was because of how upset it made me!....I think he and my Mom made sure they did more research on the movies in the future! (mind you, this WAS a kids movie, in the 70's, not graphic, and I think the movie makers THOUGHT it had a happy ending because the deceased otters mate had some baby otters to carry on the legacy, or whatever....if I remember correctly. Sorry....that does not count to a six year old!) If I ever see this movie anywhere as an adult, I'm running in the other direction!
    I'm not tense, just terribly, terribly alert!
    If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning!

Quote Originally Posted by gdolapp View Post
    Bluesy: I think you might be talking about Casey's Shadow. I loved that movie.

Nope! It was from the 1940's, in black in white.

Found it!

My Brother Talks to Horses
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

Where The Red Fern Grows

I tear up just thinking about the book or the movie.

Sweet William. No movie was made of the book. That I know of. It's about a horse named Sweet William. Have a box of Kleenex and a Prozac prescription handy when you read it.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

My Uncle had a printing shop offering me a lot of First Edition books. The first I remember getting was Black Beauty. I was never the same and it changed the whole course of my Life.
    (when Joe didnt see Beauty at the auction, it broke my heart ...)

Im always confused when my aristocratic/educated parents would look confused at my *horse-addiction* saying ": where DID you get this from:"
    Dah........ lets see, My Friend Flicka, Fury, Sky King ..just to list the Saturday morning tv menu. Then Wagon Trail, Rifleman, oh, Matt Dillon rode the best Buckskin ever, well, maybe a challenge to Ben Cartwrights horse... then, theres the toss up to Little Joes Paint!
    it just snowballs from there, doesnt it?

The books, the movies, tv..all full of horses! I miss those days but so grateful for u-tube and the internet for now carrying all those old shows.

I was looking to see if there was any information on Sweet William and came across this u-tube of the Queen pony-trekking with her grandchildren.!
    Precious......listen closely to the Queen, Love it!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb9MIJIjW3k
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

Sweet William... Oh god.. I am still traumatized... And blame it for my burning need to rescue TBs.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I have a copy of Black Beauty dated 1927. It's been in our family for many years.

I read all those: Black Beauty, the Flicka series, all the Walter Farley and Maurgaritte Henry books etc. Liked them all. Saw lots of movies but none ever "scarred" me. I cry every time i read Where the Red Fern Grows.

I know i saw Bambi as a small child but i don't remember much of it. I saw it again as an older elementary age child and laughed. No, it didn't make me cry, i could see how sappy and unrealistic it was.

Today's "sanitized" horse/animal movies are pitiful. I mean, "Flicka"?? they totally stole the name to capitalize on a GREAT book and movie and made a pale, pitiful shadow of the real deal. Talk about a CRAPPY movie. Ditto to that really lame animated movie, Spirit. Gag me.

I would like to see War Horse however, because although i know it will be a tear jerker in parts, it looks well done.
    People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they're lost.---Dalai Lama