The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cardio exercises not standing

I need ideas for getting a cardio workout. My problem is I am suffering from plantar fasciitis which means that it is very painful to put weight on my foot. I live in a rural farm and there is no swimming pool or public gym anywhere near.
    I tried using a mini trampoline, but that hurt my foot too much. Budget for exercise equipment is pretty limited so
    exercise that doesn't use special equipment would be best.
    Ideas?
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Robin@DHH View Post
    I need ideas for getting a cardio workout. My problem is I am suffering from plantar fasciitis which means that it is very painful to put weight on my foot. I live in a rural farm and there is no swimming pool or public gym anywhere near.
    I tried using a mini trampoline, but that hurt my foot too much. Budget for exercise equipment is pretty limited so
    exercise that doesn't use special equipment would be best.
    Ideas?
    How does riding a bike feel to you? When I had a bout with that it was my saving grace. Also do some stretches for the PF - those really help! I see rowing machines for sale for fairly cheap, as well - was thinking of picking one of those up for my "at home" exercise days. I wrote my master's thesis on a rower - every two pages I "rewarded" myself with a ten minute break on the machine. It felt like a reward, strangely, and got me in shape while I wrote!

Edit: As far as a budget for equipment - Craigslist is your friend! I just turned up a used rower (in my area) for $75 and many bikes for less than $50.

You would try an incumbent bike, a rowing machine, or swim laps. Edited because I just saw you don't have access to a pool or gym.

You might want to try doing lots of push ups, crunches, different ab and arm exercises. If you do a proper weight circuit with ab exercises mixed in, it will definitely increase your heart rate to cardio levels. Look up p90x routines and do the ones that you can do, eliminating those that are too difficult due to your injury.