The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dealing with bullies on CL

I have a running CL ad where I offer my training services. There is someone who keeps flagging it for removal, usually 2-8 hours after I post it. I have contacted CL about this but they said they cannot do anything although I have not violated their TOS, so I should just keep reposting. It's getting really annoying doing this everyday!!

I did some investigating and think I *may* have figured out who is doing it, and they have a reputation in my area for being a little "out there". Should I go on the counter attack or just be quiet and keep reposting my ad daily??
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Are you posting in the services offered section or in the regular farm and garden section? Because to run an ad for services (boarding, training, lessons, sales, etc-anything but an actual horse or tack for sale) is against their TOS.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

I have posted in both and it has been deleted in both.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate

It takes more than just one person flagging an ad before it's removed. I think some people flag ads just for meaness. No telling. Just keep putting it up there, maybe they'll get bored eventually.

Well then, I would discontinue posting the ads (unless for a specific horse or lot of tack) in the farm and garden section and confine them to the services offered section.

Then, if they continue to be flagged, send the person responsible a cease and desist letter. If it's just one person obsessively flagging it will take them a while to get it removed (it isn't just a one-click and 'poof' post gone type of thing-it takes multiple flags or multiple people flagging)
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Quote Originally Posted by Grataan View Post
    Well then, I would discontinue posting the ads (unless for a specific horse or lot of tack) in the farm and garden section and confine them to the services offered section.

Then, if they continue to be flagged, send the person responsible a cease and desist letter. If it's just one person obsessively flagging it will take them a while to get it removed (it isn't just a one-click and 'poof' post gone type of thing-it takes multiple flags or multiple people flagging)
    I have tried just posting in services offered, and it does still get flagged. I would send a cease and desist letter if I knew for *sure* who it was, I only have suspicions. Is there any way to determine who is doing the flagging? I can't imagine that one person would have THAT much time on their hands to keep repeatedly flagging my (and I'm assuming others?) ads.

I also have to add that I am very new to this area so I don't have any "enemies" and don't really know my competition as far as other trainers (and they don't know me either).
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate

Well...find some other place to advertise on the internet. CL isn't all that's out there, and it's not all that great.
    People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they're lost.---Dalai Lama

Agree with Bumper - and hate to say it, but around here, we don't take anyone seriously as a professional horseperson if they are posting ads on CL. Too many of these CL "horse-trainer" posters are - well, "out there". Again - this may just hold true for my area, which is a few hundred miles north of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Suck it up, buttercup. Horses spook. Sometimes they spook to the point of losing the event.