The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default GM Clinic- Anyone Going? Past auditors?

Is anyone planning on auditing on site this year? I'm going to head down to Wellington Wednesday night and will probably audit Thursday-Saturday.

Any tips from those who were there last year?
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

I watched the live feed on the computer last year at www.usefnetwork.com but I've audited in person in previous years. Like any horse event, pack clothes for a wide variety of weather conditions. It might be hot, cold, windy, rainy, etc.

You would think it goes without saying, but GM expects auditors to be QUIET. If you're not there to listen and learn, keep quiet anyway so those around you can do so. I've seen him bust people in the audience for talking, and he is not shy about it. Go, George!

Also, keep your phone turned off, or at least on vibrate, and step away before you answer it. Again, it's disrespectful to him and to other auditors to be a distraction.

There was one time I was expecting a call from the vet, so I had to keep my phone on, but you can bet I jumped up and stepped around the corner before I answered it.

Have fun. He really is an amazing teacher!

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I watched the live feed on the computer last year at www.usefnetwork.com but I've audited in person in previous years. Like any horse event, pack clothes for a wide variety of weather conditions. It might be hot, cold, windy, rainy, etc.

You would think it goes without saying, but GM expects auditors to be QUIET. If you're not there to listen and learn, keep quiet anyway so those around you can do so. I've seen him bust people in the audience for talking, and he is not shy about it. Go, George!

Also, keep your phone turned off, or at least on vibrate, and step away before you answer it. Again, it's disrespectful to him and to other auditors to be a distraction.

There was one time I was expecting a call from the vet, so I had to keep my phone on, but you can bet I jumped up and stepped around the corner before I answered it.

Have fun. He really is an amazing teacher!
    THIS! in caps and italics. Can't go this year due to work/finances and I'm really sorry to miss the opportunity. You'll never regret time spent at a GHM clinic.
    " It's about the horse, and that's it."
    George Morris

Turn off your cell phone, don't talk to anyone (like don't even whisper) when he is instructing, and pay attention

It's an amazing clinic! I audited last year and he wasn't too fond of the talkers or the cell phone users during the clinic. He's so talented and an outstanding teacher. When he gets on one of the riders horse during the clinic (he usually does), the horse just knows. It's awesome to watch! Have fun!

Heading down MONDAY!! Can't wait!! C u there!!
    www.brydellefarm.com ....developing riders, NOT passengers!
    Member of LNHorsemanshipT & Proud of It Clique
    "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

A little off-topic, but is there a schedule online of his 2012 clinics?
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

Quote Originally Posted by Alibhai's Alibar View Post
    A little off-topic, but is there a schedule online of his 2012 clinics?
    The place to look is www.ghmclinics.com but it doesn't have any 2012 dates yet.

The bad news is, it might not get updated soon. The good news is, he often goes back to the same places around the same time each year, so you could just contact any of the places listed for 2011 and ask if they expect him back this year.

He comes to a farm near me every year. I have audited probably 3 times. It was amazing. I would probably never feel as though I was a good enough rider to clinic with him though. He would also probably make me weep. He can be brutal but some people just flat don't listen.

I am not sure if I will audit this year. I wish wish wish that I was competent enough to ride with him but I just don't see that going over well...

As others have said- do not talk or really do anything besides watch and listen. He is not quiet about it if he feels like anyone in the audience is disrespecting him or the people he is teaching/ those actually trying to learn something.

Enjoy! I loved auditing.
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

Quote Originally Posted by hequestrian View Post
    I would probably never feel as though I was a good enough rider to clinic with him though.
    I am perfectly happy being an auditor for life

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    The place to look is www.ghmclinics.com but it doesn't have any 2012 dates yet.

The bad news is, it might not get updated soon. The good news is, he often goes back to the same places around the same time each year, so you could just contact any of the places listed for 2011 and ask if they expect him back this year.
    Thanks! I had the website, but was hoping there was a secret website where the 2012 dates were listed I'll contact the farm in MD where I saw his last clinic.

Quote Originally Posted by Alibhai's Alibar View Post
    I am perfectly happy being an auditor for life
    I'd be afraid he'd call me fat I wish I was brave enough to say "Just because i'm not 100 pounds doesn't mean I can't ride horses, hop off my rolls GM" However, auditing his clinics are good enough for me!

Broadcast for tomorrow has been moved to 5p.m. the rest of the week it is live