The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default mattes pad?

I have heard raving reviews and since my Ultra Thinline Comfort pad is a size large, which is too big for my dressage saddle AND CC saddle, I'm thinking I'm going to get a Mattes pad since I no longer need a correction pad.

I was planning on using this for my dressage saddle and CC saddle...which type do you get? A/P mattes pad? dressage? Does the dressage type work when you put it under a close contact?

Also, rear trim or no? My dressage saddle is a deep seated 17.5'' and my CC is a 16'', so I'm afraid if I get the medium with trim it won't fit right...but a large would be retake of my thinline pad.

Help??

I have a large with rear trim and it fits both my 17" CC and 18" dressage saddles just fine. I think with the rear trim it is a little more "forgiving" with fit since you don't just see blank pad hanging out the back. JMHO.

Action42,

Which style did you get?

I know a friend needed a large and better without back trim for his jumping saddle while the medium with back trim fit the dressage saddle. I think without the trim is easier fitwise because with the trim looks odd and is not forgiving if fit not right
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Love my mattes pad I would suggest a large with rear trim, that way your smaller saddle won't have a bunch of blank pad sticking out the back and your larger saddle will fit perfectly. I have a medium and it fits my 16.5 and 17 saddles, but a larger saddle would NOT fit. Before I bought my own, I used my trainers size large and it looked fine with my 16.5 saddle.

I have an A/P mattes and my trainer recommends the A/P for every saddle. the one dressage mattes I've seen just didn't seem to fit right especially for jumping saddles, whereas my a/p fits both dressage and jumping saddles nicely, even ones with really forward flaps.

Mine is a large A/P

Here are pics of mine under both of my saddles.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=34ea3e35c8

I have a Medium size half back Mattes with no rear trim and it fits my 16.5 dressage saddle but is a bit small with my 17" jumping saddle, so I just bought another sheepskin pad (not a Mattes, hence MUCH cheaper) in size large with rear trim. Hopefully it will fit my jumping saddle just fine.

I use the pad directly against the horse, which is what they are made for.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Well, I ordered an all purpose white large with rear trim from VTO saddlery because it was $171 + 20% off so I got one for $137!

Look into Fleeceworks, they have a ton of options and are the same quality as Mattes (IMO) and are considerably less expensive. I ride in a deep seated 17.5" dressage saddle and the 'dressage cut' FXK half pad with the rolled edge was perfect (recently sold it to someone for her CC 16.5" saddle and she said its perfect). There's not a huge difference between the dressage cut (only comes in one size) and the regular cut size L. hope that helps!

Another Fleeceworks supporter here. Nice pads for the price, and BTW the similar pad ThinLine sells with shims as a "saddle fitting pad" turns out to be *exactly* the same pad, just with a different label and a higher price!

I've just moved to a non-sheepskin thinline pad as my mare finally has enough "back" that her saddle isn't too wide anymore.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine