The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Such thing as a show rental?

I know this sounds like something a person who knows absolutely nothing about horses would ask,but is there such thing were a person pays a owner of a horse/pony to just show them?
    If there is a thing, any ideas how to find one?

The closest I've heard to this is when people rent a schoolie for the day to show it. This would likely be the horse that the person took lessons on regularly. Most people would be hesitant to let someone who didn't have experience riding the horse at home/in lessons/etc. come for a day and show it.

At bigger shows like the winter circuit in Florida, I have heard of horses that people can lease for a week of showing but I haven't seen this for a one-day show.

Yes. It happens a lot for big eq finals and such. Your best bet is to go through an AA trainer with connections.

In one word, networking. Yes, people pay to lease horses for shows (outside of a full or half lease) somewhat frequently. This is pretty much always arranged through trainers or through contacts you know. It would be very difficult to get someone to agree to lend a show horse to a complete stranger, even if that stranger is paying! I would start by asking your trainer. I saw your other post looking for a trainer for your daughter... once you find a suitable one, she/he might be able to arrange this type of thing for you.

Where I live you can People just ask the show hosters, local riding facilaties/instructors, or friends to use thier horses. Somethings they pay, but somethings the owners just let them borrow Ask around, I'm sure someone would be happy to help
    P.s. Don't feel bad, I had the same question acouple years ago
    Hope this helps, and good luck!

My barn will do a show lease for a student or client. Most beginners just lease a schoolie for an at-the-barn show first. Then they graduate to leasing one of the nicer schoolies for an away show. Any of the barn-owned sale horses are available for lease for A shows, either locally, or out of state. This helps a better rider who might be unable to show his or her own horse, but still has the show bug. These horses can be expensive, but it's nice to have that option.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

A friend of mine leased a horse for a weekend last winter at WEF. She went down on a Friday and had a lesson, showed Saturday and Sunday. She got some nice ribbons, too. The horse was lovely and I'd wager she paid a pretty penny for those three days. Her trainer arranged it with a trainer she knew in FL.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

I know Castlewood Farm in Wellington was doing week long leases for WEF in the past. I do not know if they are doing them this year, but their website still lists the information:
    http://www.castlewoodfarmsales.com/WEF_Leases.html

We do them all the time at the bigger shows. Lots of people do them if a client wants to show but its not worth the expense of shipping a horse/pony to the show they desire to show at or if it's a final and they want a more seasoned animal. People also do it at pony finals routinely.
    Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue

Where there are only carousel horses to be had...

Yes, there are a variety of ways that this happens, but it depends on who you train with and their connections to a certain extent. Kids lease horses for just the fall equitation finals or for a single final for five figures. Sometimes, this is a short-term lease, sometimes the horse goes with its barn to the show, is groomed by its barns grooms, and you just get on and ride and your trainer coaches you. You may have to switch barns and ride with a barn who has more horses and then do a day-lease on one of their school horses. It really depends what level you are looking to compete, what kind of show (A, AA, or B/C), who you train with, etc.
    “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman
    (}---{)

Quote Originally Posted by cedarhillponies View Post
    I know this sounds like something a person who knows absolutely nothing about horses would ask,but is there such thing were a person pays a owner of a horse/pony to just show them?
    If there is a thing, any ideas how to find one?
    yes, but it depends on what level of showing you plan to do.

if it would be a pony or horse, do you want your child to gain experience on a "made" schoolmaster so they can get confidence in the show ring? Then perhaps a pony whose owner has aged out but still wants to keep the pony would work. Or on a horse whose younger owner is off at college, or is owned by an Adult who would like to keep the horse in work & your child can lease & show in Children's.

or do you want your child to be a pony jock & qualify a pony for Pony Finals? in which case you should be networking with an AA barn and you should already have you child's foot in that door.