The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    It's actually people who cannot admit that dogs that do these things are normal dogs that are the usual cause of these problems. If you're convinced, for whatever reason, that Dogs Who Kill are rare and special dogs, instead of totally normal dogs, you're the one who doesn't make sure your fence is good and strong and it's YOUR dog who ends up mauling the horse. You're the one who thinks "Oh not my dog he would never hurt anything" so you don't train and socialize your dog and one day YOUR dog is the one who eats a cat. You have some fantasy notion that your dog will protect your family, and don't take steps to teach your dog about babies and don't supervise your dog, and it's YOUR dog who eats your baby or bites your toddler in the face. Because you are in denial of the reality of the dog.
    I used to tell anyone who would listen that my middle aged, 40 pound, happy-go-lucky poopsie-whoopsie would never hurt a thing .

That is, until I witnessed her destroy a woodchuck trying to defend its young, and then drag the carcass over to me proud as all get-out.

That dog is my life, but I thank God that I got my reality check as a result of that poor woodchuck and not someone's cat.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Last edited by smokygirl; Jan. 2, 2012 at 01:28 AM.
    "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    That dog is my life, but I thank God that I got my reality check as a result of that poor woodchuck and not someone's cat.
    Some on here don't regard either in high regard. And what did you do, just except the fact thay our do killed another animal? Except the arguement it's only natural. The dogs that most of us own are not required to kill anything to survive or as part of their job.

What if it wasn't a woodchuck but someone's child?

Last edited by smokygirl; Jan. 2, 2012 at 01:28 AM.
    "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

Quote Originally Posted by smokygirl View Post
    what do you do? you look at what you can do. constant vigilance helps....

Depends on the behaviour and trigger.
    Agreed! Blind exceptance that your dog kills should not be tolerated.

There are leash laws in many areas for reasons. Dog shouldn't necessarily be allowed to run free without any control. I own a dog, an exceptional one, she trained and has great disposition. We walk her on a lead, She is great with cats, she belives a bottle raised cat is her baby. We care for an outside / feral colony. I don't believe that cats are meant to be outside. The ones we care for we not meant to be dealt the hand they were. I understand and know the risk of animals being outside. Ignorance is not an excuse.

When some humans play up and encourage the prey, kill drive, they need to be punished. They need to be held accountable. Unfortunately sometimes the easiest and quickest fix is to elliminate the animal. People might tollerate shooting the dog, but they won't except shooting the owners.

Well, I have a close friend who HAD seven dwarf or Pygmy goats. A buck and six does. They were in her FENCED yard. While she was at work, two dogs- pit bulls or pit bull mixes showed up, dug a hole under her fence and-- YOU GUESSED it-- KILLED five of the seven before a retired neighbor who heard the commotion went out and shot at the dogs--who ran right back out the hole they had dug.

The sheriff's office was called. The deputies tracked the dogs to a wooded area, but lost the tracks there. A canvass of the neighborhood was unsuccessful-- NO ONE knew anything about said dogs or had EVER seen them (except for the neighbor who had shot at them).

Two days later the dogs were back for the last two goats.

Luckily, the goats escaped the second attack because the helpful neighbor had gun ready. One dog died, other was wounded but got away. One goat lost part of her tail. Again no one saw or knew anything about those dogs. Two weeks later, the neighbor's dog was poisoned and died. There was a note in the yard that said "Your next!"

Sheriff could not find surviving dog and could not find out who poisoned the neighbor's dog or left the note. The two goats came to live with me. I have never had goats before. They are really funny creatures- very quick and they like to stand up on things- like patio chairs and tables. They are very shy and will hardly let me touch them unless I'm feeding them.

But they are not afraid of dogs after all that- they charge my pekes. If I forget to close them up in their goat house (yes they have a big dog crate to sleep in) they get my dog's house on the patio and sleep in there with my very sub dominant dog. Nell is black like them and about their size. She is crammed way in the back, and they lie down practically on top of her.

It has only happened once or twice, but I hate to see my dog intimidated by these two goats. But then, maybe she appreciates their warmth. They have lovely soft fluffy coats.

She has never tried to chase anything- including other dogs, cats, chipmunks, birds, sticks, balls and toys. When the goats try to play or stomp and snort- she whimpers and runs away.

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    Some on here don't regard either in high regard. And what did you do, just except the fact thay our do killed another animal? Except the arguement it's only natural. The dogs that most of us own are not required to kill anything to survive or as part of their job.

What if it wasn't a woodchuck but someone's child?
    That was my POINT.

I'm not glad she killed that woodchuck. I felt horrible. And for the record, I do not "encourage her prey drive." But she is a dog and she does have one. And yes, I ACCEPT that and do my very best to ensure it doesn't happen again.

If it had been someone's kid? She'd have been six feet under as fast as I could drive to my vets office. End of Story.

Put your hackle's down. Its New's Years Eve.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

[QUOTE=wcporter;6053468]That was my POINT.

I'm not glad she killed that woodchuck. I felt horrible. And for the record, I do not "encourage her prey drive." But she is a dog and she does have one. And yes, I ACCEPT that and do my very best to ensure it doesn't happen again.

If it had been someone's kid? She'd have been six feet under as fast as I could drive to my vets office. End of Story.

Put your hackle's down. Its New's Years Eve.[

Best post of the night! Happy New Year!
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net