The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Two Baby Minis Attacked and Mauled by Rottweilers

News video at the link. Includes footage of the minis at the vet and recovering. This neighbor would be on my sh*t list.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/2-...z/-/index.html

Two miniature horses were recovering Thursday after they were mauled by dogs.

Houston police said two Rottweilers escaped through a broken fence at a home on Eastman Street in north Houston Thursday morning.

"I was at work," said Martha Guzman, the horses' owner. "The neighbor was the one who called me and told me, 'My dogs are at your yard. Do you have anything there because I'm going to go get them.' I told to just run and get them because there are little horses there."

A few people witnessed the attack.

"The moment I got there I just seen one of the horses without an ear," one man said. "Blood on their neck, limping and cuts everywhere. It was just awful."

The horses, named Twinkle and Sampson, were taken to an animal hospital in Waller for treatment. Veterinarians said one horse lost its ear and the other was bitten several times.

The horses are expected to survive, but veterinarians said their biggest concern for them was infection because of all their open wounds.
    They may have to stay at the animal hospital for several weeks.

The horses, both 4 months old, were Christmas gifts for two little girls.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I hate stuff like this, BUT at least the dog owner called the mini owner once he realized his dogs were out.

Definately think there should be very stiff penalties for out of control dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    I hate stuff like this, BUT at least the dog owner called the mini owner once he realized his dogs were out.

Definately think there should be very stiff penalties for out of control dogs.
    Agree; however, the dogs' owner should have gone and retrieved those dogs before making phone calls. Precious minutes were wasted.

I feel very badly for those two barely-weaned foals, but not just from the standpoint of being subjected to such a brutal attack.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Guessing the dog owner needed help getting his friggin' dogs under control. That seems to be the way it works with people who don't train their dogs to begin with.

The guy who owns the dogs best get ready for a massive vet bill to come.

And to be honest, even if those horses weren't mine, if I lived there I'd be making a hell of a lot of noise to Harris County Animal Control about dogs that are too dangerous to be in a neighborhood.

If they'll go crazy on little horses, what will they tear to pieces next? Little kids?

I don't think so. Better to give them a hot lead injection now than wait to find out later what they are capable of doing.

I had this happen to my mini donks......twice. Fortunately I was there when the neighbors dog was after them - and was able to chase him away with a broom....I know,,,I know. (The sheriff told me to learn to shoot). The neighbor didn't care...my vet was great - stitched them up - but I know he would have killed them as he was going for the neck.

After the second time, I rehomed by donks. I had 3 board fencing, and my Mom was dying so I wasn't able to be home much - and I just couldn't jeopardize the little guys.

Neighbor eventually was foreclosed and disappeared....

Quote Originally Posted by bf1 View Post
    I had this happen to my mini donks......twice. Fortunately I was there when the neighbors dog was after them - and was able to chase him away with a broom....I know,,,I know. (The sheriff told me to learn to shoot). The neighbor didn't care...my vet was great - stitched them up - but I know he would have killed them as he was going for the neck. ...
    Then I would have made his dogs pay the ultimate price. And gunfire isn't the only way to get it done.

There is NFW that one should have to get rid of animals/bunker up in one's house etc because of some DH neighbor and his aggressive dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    Then I would have made his dogs pay the ultimate price. And gunfire isn't the only way to get it done.
    Yeah, hanging's too good for them.

Quote Originally Posted by fburton View Post
    Yeah, hanging's too good for them.
    You can be as sarcastic as you want, until it happens to you.

Let me know how you would deal with dangerous, aggressive dogs when animal control/police won't do anything about them.

And since I see you are not from these parts, let me familiarize you with the law as it pertains to dealing with aggressive dogs in the state where I live: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/955.28

Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    You can be as sarcastic as you want, until it happens to you. Let me know how you would deal with dangerous, aggressive dogs when animal control/police won't do anything about them.
    I personally always liked shooting the offending dog and hanging it on the owner's fence (did this in Middleburg once with a Golden Retriever).

Poison can work, but can risk hurting innocent birds.

Virginia law is similar to Ohio...have livestock, dog chases livestock...Bang! No problema!
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

if I lived there I'd be making a hell of a lot of noise to Harris County Animal Control about dogs that are too dangerous to be in a neighborhood.

If they'll go crazy on little horses, what will they tear to pieces next? Little kids?
    Oh right, let's bring up the "disney" version of the dog's nature and pretend they aren't all predators at heart who would love to chase and tear apart and eat a baby horse. Dogs are predators.

If your dog has ever eagerly chased a squirrel, then your dog is just as dangerous as these dogs.

They got out once through a broken fence. Not let loose to hunt the neighborhood, not serial escape artists terrorizing the area. One broken fence. The owner was concerned and took action.

There's no correlation between dogs chasing prey animals and dogs attacking little kids. Really. There isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    Guessing the dog owner needed help getting his friggin' dogs under control. That seems to be the way it works with people who don't train their dogs to begin with.
    I agree. We have "herding" dogs and they can be properly trained to stay out of the pastures, no chasing, etc. It just takes time, and maybe someone with a little patience. Many people around here don't believe in training, kennels, tie outs, keeping dogs at their homes, etc. I hate loose dogs and stupid owners.

It's the owners, not the dogs. That being said, it might be an uphill battle at this point.

Sorry for the mini's, terrible shock to such a little one.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    There's no correlation between dogs chasing prey animals and dogs attacking little kids. Really. There isn't.
    Tell that to a friend of mine who-after having had 2 dogs chase and maul a small deer in her pasture, saw them come back a week later and maul her pony. Was not able to catch them or find the owner.
    Same 2 dogs chewed up a little boy the next month..
    Animal control then shot them both.
    Sounds like correlation to me..
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Oh right, let's bring up the "disney" version of the dog's nature and pretend they aren't all predators at heart who would love to chase and tear apart and eat a baby horse. Dogs are predators.

If your dog has ever eagerly chased a squirrel, then your dog is just as dangerous as these dogs.

They got out once through a broken fence. Not let loose to hunt the neighborhood, not serial escape artists terrorizing the area. One broken fence. The owner was concerned and took action.

Thank you

Is that neighborhood even zoned agricultural? And were the minis in the front yard along with the swingset and stuff? Poor little guys.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

So the dog owner knew where the dogs went, and took time to call the home owner to ask what else was in their yard? What an idiot. That delay might have cost two mini's their lives, and I would sue that idiot into the next century, and that would be after the dogs were put down. I hope Texas also has a vicious dog act, and the owner will be held accountable. Plus, whatever homeowner's insurance the dog owner has will definitely cancel their policy, and fat chance he'll get more either.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Dear god, poor little babies I hope they make a quick recovery!

My dogs do fine with baby horses around... So long as they don't smell the placenta

But anyway, I do agree that there are a lot of breeds that are more prone to this kind of behavior, Rotties being one of them. I wonder if the owner knew the fence was broken. The very least the dog owner should do is pay the vet bill. I can't even imagine the trama that the kids who got them as Christmas presents are going through.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

While it's true that there is little correlation between predatory behavior in dogs and dog-human aggression, most attacks on small children fall into the category of predatory behavior. So it follows that dogs that have a high prey drive and low inhibition will be more likely to see a small child as prey.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    I personally always liked shooting the offending dog and hanging it on the owner's fence (did this in Middleburg once with a Golden Retriever).

Poison can work, but can risk hurting innocent birds.

Virginia law is similar to Ohio...have livestock, dog chases livestock...Bang! No problema!
    I have no problem whatever with shooting a dog to stop it attacking livestock or people, or something more brutal (such as bashing over the head with a golf club) if that was the only way to protect victims of an attack. And, of course, the owner must be held accountable for any damage.