The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Clippers for a clipping 'virgin'!

So, I need to buy a pair of clippers. It will be my first pair ever in over 10 years of horse ownership ( I know, I know, but I always had my trainers to do it!) I've literally never clipped a horse.

What do you recommend? Dover has a great deal on Oster A5 right now. I don't want clippers that are tricky to use or that wil cause track marks or scalp my horse! (The Arcos made horrid track lines).

TIA!

Track marks have less to do with the clipper and more to do with the skill of the person using them. I have a set of A5s that I love. Over 20 years old now and have been used on a cushingoid pony religiously. That pony was a wooly beast! I've sent the A5s out twice to be cleaned and conditioned in this time. $30 a pop, but way cheaper than buying a new set. Other than that, if you're doing full body clipping, going for the clipmaster or star would be your best bet. Buy the best set you can. Cheaper is not better in this realm.

I just bought my first set of clippers too (thinking of shelling out $150 for one clip job when I could get a pair of my own for that price made me balk a little). After doing a lot of research and reading reviews, I ended up with the Andis Super 2 Speeds with the wide T-84 blade. They're $150 from Smartpak, and come with a free face/ear trimmer. Lots of great reviews on this clipper, both on Smartpak, here and other forums. I haven't used them yet so can't speak from personal experience, but I do know the groom at my barn uses their equivalent (Andis Ultra, which I've read is the Super in a different casing and about $20 more) and his clip jobs are always impeccable. Of course, I'm sure a lot of that has to do with his skills and not just the clippers

What I've read really helps avoid the track marks is Show Sheen-ing the heck out of the horse before clipping. And a good bath, of course. My poor horse doesn't even know what's coming for her next weekend, lol! Clean and getting nekkid. The horrors!

When my A5s wore out, I thought I'd try something different and bought a pair of Laube Lightnings. Not that the Laube's are bad clippers, they are lighter weight, run cooler and a little quieter, but they're not as tough as the A5. When the Laube's die, I'm going back to the old standby A5. One thing to consider no matter what brand you decide is that A5 compatible blades are cheapest and most readily available- some of the others you may not be able to purchase locally in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    I just bought my first set of clippers too (thinking of shelling out $150 for one clip job when I could get a pair of my own for that price made me balk a little). After doing a lot of research and reading reviews, I ended up with the Andis Super 2 Speeds with the wide T-84 blade. They're $150 from Smartpak, and come with a free face/ear trimmer. Lots of great reviews on this clipper, both on Smartpak, here and other forums. I haven't used them yet so can't speak from personal experience, but I do know the groom at my barn uses their equivalent (Andis Ultra, which I've read is the Super in a different casing and about $20 more) and his clip jobs are always impeccable. Of course, I'm sure a lot of that has to do with his skills and not just the clippers

What I've read really helps avoid the track marks is Show Sheen-ing the heck out of the horse before clipping. And a good bath, of course. My poor horse doesn't even know what's coming for her next weekend, lol! Clean and getting nekkid. The horrors!

I spent four years as a full time working student/groom and swore by my Oster Clipmasters. After a major shipping snafu, Smartpak offered me a pair of these clippers and I'm officially converted! love, love, love them.

My super sensitive, thin skinned TB let me do a full body clip while he munched hay- just tied, didn't even need cross ties. They're light, fast, and super quiet.

The key to no track marks is a super clean horse, keeping your clippers clean as you clip and consistent strokes.

I groom dogs with the Andis Ultra Edge two speed. I don't clip my horse, but if I did, I'd use those with the T-84 blade.

I also like the Andis 2-speed. They've got the oomph to do the occasional body clip (if you're patient) and are great for everyday trimming. I have Oster Clipmasters for most of my body clipping work, but the Andis are nice for sensitive or anxious horses in a pinch.

Did you have the little adjustable blade Arco trimmer? I love mine for faces, ears and ankles, but they don't really have the power for serious clipping.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

I just had my Oster A5 lubed and was inquiring about a repair to my Clipmasters at one of the shows we went to and was talking to the clipper repair guy, he said that the new Oster A5s are not as nice or durable as the older ones. He said Oster got a lttle cheaper on their production on a couple of parts.

He suggested the Andis or a lighter clipper and the Clipmaster or a heavy duty clipper.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch