The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

No way Reining would have the highest priced horses. Because a sound, slightly green, low level, QH Reiner with good conformation would be a LOT less expensive then a similar WB jumper or dressage horse.
    Proud owner of Finger Lakes' Finest Devilshire.

Show jumping does seem to be the money sport.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Last edited by smokygirl; Jan. 2, 2012 at 01:45 AM.
    "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    You're right, we, those that ride western, should all just leave.

As far as COTH being publish, I venture to say better then 50% on here do not have a subscription to COTH.

Geesh, touchy much? All I meant is that the general readers/person interested in COTH doesn't ride western primarily and since the focus of the magazine is not western, they're unlikely to have a western forum. Perhaps Western Horseman has a dressage forum??

I was not saying that western riders should just go away. I've done cutting, a little reining, WP back in the day (of the "up in the bridle, arched neck/braided reins and romel era), H/J, lots of trail, eventing, and dressage. But I would classify myself as an "english" or "former eventer" or "dressage" rider and I don't own a western saddle. Had to borrow one to pony my youngster a couple of years ago!

For those of you questioning the amount of prize money available to reiners, currently there are 14 riders who have earned over $1 million in prize money, 4 who have earned over $2 million in prize money, and one who has earned over $3 million and $4 million. There are 22 stallions who have sired offspring who have won over $1 million, 9 who have sired offspring who have earned over $2 million, 7 who have sired offspring who have earned over $3 million, 3 who have sired offspring who have earned over $4 million, 3 who have sired offspring who have earned over $5 million, 2 who have sired offspring who have earned over $6 million, and 1 who has sired offspring who have earned over $7 million and $8 million.

Anyway you look at it, that's some serious prize money being offered. The NRHA is proud of these achievements and posts these lists on their website.
    Friends don't let friends ride junk!

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    For those of you questioning the amount of prize money available to reiners,
    No one is questioning that there is some decent prize money available to Reiners. What is being questioned is anyone who thinks Reining is a bigger sport than showjumping. It isn't, quite simply. It doesn't have the kind of money SJ has at the top end and is confined to mostly one country (it is very much a tiny minority sport, even among horse sports, outside of North America.... and no, don't go telling me about some Italian winning a big competition, or Anky riding at the WEG, it's still a tiny sport outside of NA.

currently there are 14 riders who have earned over $1 million in prize money, 4 who have earned over $2 million in prize money, and one who has earned over $3 million and $4 million.
    Those are lifetime earnings.
    Just to give you a bit of perspective... Eric Lamaze has earned about $2.5m at just Spruce meadows alone... That's just one venue... That doesn't take into account the other 48 weeks of the year when he is riding around the world, for the last 20 odd years that he has riding.
    Rodrigo Pessoa has somewhere in the region of €7m (that's like $10m). Add in the Beerbaum, Tops, Bengtsson etc etc, they would be all in the same neighborhood. If you are talking about riders with more than $1m lifetime, there's probably dozens and dozens of those.

There are 22 stallions who have sired offspring who have won over $1 million, 9 who have sired offspring who have earned over $2 million, 7 who have sired offspring who have earned over $3 million, 3 who have sired offspring who have earned over $4 million, 3 who have sired offspring who have earned over $5 million, 2 who have sired offspring who have earned over $6 million, and 1 who has sired offspring who have earned over $7 million and $8 million.
    Go look up what the top WB sires have in progeny earnings.

I'm not arguing the fact that SJ probably has, consistently, the most high-dollar horses. I was just pointing out that there is a lot of money in the reining now, and more and more countries are becoming involved in the sport.

As you mentioned, the Italians are all over it. If you go to one of the big futurities/derbies, there are tons of foreigners here buying horses and shipping them overseas. There is a large quarantine facility here in Oklahoma that we've used when importing WBs. The bulk of their business is shipping reiners overseas.

Dana
    Friends don't let friends ride junk!

So what's the average price range for these reining horses that are going to Europe?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Reiners ? I had no idea they were so valuable. But their careers are relaltively short, are they not?
    Friend's reining horse is one of the top non-pro horses in the country, showed at the worlds in OK City. He's 13. Been doing this since he was ? very young, was bred for it.

She says that the pro trainer/rider/breeders do move their horses along to compete at the top levels at a very young age, to grab the money prizes offered for 2yo's and the like. They retire early to breeding. The racehorse model, as it were. Like racing it's not because that is their capability or even what's best for the horse physically, but because that's where the prize money is.