The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Last edited by smokygirl; Jan. 2, 2012 at 01:43 AM.
    "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

Last edited by smokygirl; Jan. 2, 2012 at 01:43 AM.
    "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

Last edited by smokygirl; Jan. 2, 2012 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smokygirl View Post
    That's reined cow horse, I don't think those winnings count towards NRHA earnings. Neither would NCHA earnings (and the purses there can get even bigger I think).

Yes I realize they are reined cow horse. Many reining horses and riders do not just do reining. Having a family member in the "business" he picks his shows based on horses tallents, owners desires and taking advantage of the best use of travel when doing a circuit. Also there are costs, sizeable entry fees, to enter big pursed events.

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    Yes I realize they are reined cow horse. Many reining horses and riders do not just do reining. Having a family member in the "business" he picks his shows based on horses tallents, owners desires and taking advantage of the best use of travel when doing a circuit. Also there are costs, sizeable entry fees, to enter big pursed events.
    I know But as we were discussing olympic events, and reined cowhorse is further away than reining.. I was trying to stick to reining. But if you combined "working western" in general then it would be much more. I tried googling some of the events, but keep pulling up weird stuff, like NCHA money earners *sigh* so not what i want... i hate google.

I would have guessed dressage, since dressage horses seem to be older by the time they are competing at the Olympic level. If it takes longer to "make" a dressage horse, I would think they would be more expensive. But I haven't been shopping around lately so who knows
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

I would guess on average it would likely be show jumping... However I have to wonder if Totilas beat the record sale price for horses in Olympic disciplines when he was sold to Schockemohle.

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    There has been an ongoing effort to put it in 2012. Even so, the tone of the thread suggest that there would be some reason to exclude reining from this debate.

Which begs to ask, is COTH ever going to get a WESTERN forum?
    Nope. I'd be fine with reining. But while it is gaining in worldwide interest/participation, the numbers are still small outside the US compared to the usual "english"disciplines. ALso, COTH has been published for years. It's focus is NOT western riding.

There is Western Horseman, Horse & Rider, America's Horse, The Quarter Horse Journal, THe Appaloosa Journal, etc., etc. COTH's focus is fox hunting steeplechasing dressage jumping, eventing. There's no particular reason for it to add a "western" forum. *shrug*

I think there is enough interest in reining worldwide that there would be enough competitors to make it part of the Olympics.

http://worldreiningfinal.com/

"Now represented on six continents and in more than 40 nations, the sport of Reining is an internationally-approved event under the FEI, the international governing body for equestrian sport. The incredible success of the sport at the recent 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games (WEG) gave Reining significant momentum for continued growth worldwide."

If reining were to become an Olympic Sport, I think the biggest money might be in the reining horses. There is a lot of money in reining.

And I know I shouldn't go here and fuel the fire.... I would love to see a western forum on CotH, but it looks like it is not going to happen anytime soon. That is okay, I ride both english and western (and drive once in awhile). And western subjects can and have been brought up in Off Course, with actually quite a few people participating in those posts. I can live with that!

Can we not say, for the sake of argument, which horses, of any discipline, fetch the highest prices on average, when at the top of their tree?

Reiners ? I had no idea they were so valuable. But their careers are relaltively short, are they not?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Can we not say, for the sake of argument, which horses, of any discipline, fetch the highest prices on average, when at the top of their tree?

Reiners ? I had no idea they were so valuable. But their careers are relaltively short, are they not?
    Not really. The big money is in the futurities and maturities, but a sizable amount is in the non-pro (aka Ammy) section. The best of the futurity winners go to the breeding shed.. that second tier (and geldings), goes to the non-pro market usually. Youth participation is HUGE. I know several geldings that were big winners in their prime, stepped down to ammy, now teaching the littlest riders. There are several levels to reining, so after training, most well conformed horses that have the aptitude can find a level to show at with a rider...depending on the rider's abilities. It's a very inclusive sport in that way. And they do trickle down a lot of the money. Open makes the most, but the non-pro has a substantial amount of money in it. I think, tbh, their is probably more money still in NCHA winnings, but reining is really taking off more because ya don't need the cattle.

"Can we not say, for the sake of argument, which horses, of any discipline, fetch the highest prices on average, when at the top of their tree?" that answer is easy enough Race horses lol. Halter horses (Arabian, Quarter Horse, etc) can go for some freaky prices too.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post

It actually would probably benefit the HORSES if Reining WERE included in the Olympics, since the usual FEI age requirements are in force even for reining (at the WEG - which is conducted under FEI rules). No three year olds need apply. Minimum age of six, so less need to burn 'em up in the futurities. (And I don't like the IJF and IHF either - jumping 3 and 4 year olds).

Setting aside what horses/discipline bring the most money, I gotta think that Combined Driving has to be the most expensive to PARTICIPATE in, at least at the WEG level. SIngles or pairs - probably manageable financially, but a four-in-hand (plus two spares), a dress harness for dressage/presentation, cross-country harness, cross-country cart, dressage cart, plus transporting all that!!! OMG! Talk about needing a sponsor!

Quote Originally Posted by smokygirl View Post
    NRHA Futurity is over 2m in pay out. That's just one futurity. There are several, as well as money in breed events ofcourse, such as the AHA's Half-Arabian and PB Arabian futurities, some in the QH and APHA sector, etc. The Bill Horn shoot out is over 100k. Cant' think of many over 500k off the top of my head. Many over 100k though.
    $2m???? there is no single competition in Reining with a $2m purse.
    The biggest purse in Reining is the NHRA $500k Open Futurity.

$100k purses are a dime a dozen in Show Jumping. There are Grand Prix every weekend in Europe and around the world for $200-500k. The big shows like Spruce Meadows have $1m Grand Prix. Spruce Meadows alone hands out something like $6.5m in purses every year, and that's just one venue.
    I don't think you guys really appreciate how big showjumping is on the global scale. The man on the street would be familiar with the sport, have seen it on TV and would likely be able to name some of the big name riders and horses. It dwarfs reining. Outside of the US reining is a tiny sport, even your average horse person would be unfamiliar with it, never mind the man in the street.

This is all a moot point anyway, as the question was Olympic discipline, of which there are only three... Show Jumping , Dressage and Eventing.

^^ this! Not to mention the horse on the Saudi( I believe) team that was purchased for some 7 million from the Italian's. I don't know about any of you but I've never seen a 7 million dollar QH
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

It's interesting to me that I always hear (in hushed, conspiratorial tones to boot ) that there is a ton of money in the QH world, but no one ever puts forth exact figures.

I mean, let's state it up front - what general price range are we looking at for one of the made professional reining horses that was at the WEG?

And - getting back to Olympic disciplines and the point of this thread, hands down show jumpers fetch the highest market prices. The sales price for Totilas strikes me as an outlier in the dressage world.

Showjumping outside the U.S. maintains a wide fan base. I was always pleasantly surprised when I'd check out the sports pages of newspapers in various Commonwealth countries and there was always an update (after the robust racing section) on showjumping news. And this was outside the U.K. and Europe proper!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    Nope. I'd be fine with reining. But while it is gaining in worldwide interest/participation, the numbers are still small outside the US compared to the usual "english"disciplines. ALso, COTH has been published for years. It's focus is NOT western riding.

There is Western Horseman, Horse & Rider, America's Horse, The Quarter Horse Journal, THe Appaloosa Journal, etc., etc. COTH's focus is fox hunting steeplechasing dressage jumping, eventing. There's no particular reason for it to add a "western" forum. *shrug*

You're right, we, those that ride western, should all just leave.

As far as COTH being publish, I venture to say better then 50% on here do not have a subscription to COTH.