The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Which of the Olympic disciplines fetches the highest average horse prices?

Slow day at work so I did some searching on COTH... my curiosity is peaked on this question...

Which discipline fetches the highest horse prices on average? And how do they compare?

For example, a horse shown successfully to what level in Eventing would cost the same as the same horse (age, breed, etc) shown successfully to some level in Dressage? Prelim eventer = confirmed 2nd level Dressage? 3rd level? And what about just pure Show-Jumping? What height jumper would cost the same as a confirmed 2nd level Dressage horse of the same age, breeding, sex, etc? We can even throw Hunters in the mix if we'd like...

I know this is very open-ended & depends on MANY market factors... but just curious what others' opinions would be.

More likely your curiosity has been 'piqued'. :-)

I would guess it's show jumpers. But that's a pure guess..
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

I'll guess showjumpers at the top level -..... because there is money to be won?
    Don't really have any facts, or personal experience!!!

Another vote for show jumpers. It seems like there are a lot more show jumping competitions at a high level that you can win a lot of money at than dressage or eventing.

Another vote for Show Jumpers - but also based on speculation, not fact/experience. Some of the top dressage horses fetch a pretty penny but IMO not in the quantity/volume that the jumpers do.

Reining

My guess is showjumpers or dressage.

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    Reining

Reining is part of the WEG, but it is NOT (yet) an Olympic sport.

Jumpers.

In the world with no hunters, there are about 70% jumpers to the rest doing dressage..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I would have guessed jumpers too. I would have placed eventers lowest and Dressage horses second. I'm incorporating prevalence of stallions in that a lot too, I think you get more geldings in eventing than the other two, and the money to be made after the competition career, in breeding, must be a factor.

With Totilas selling for how many million dollars, I'd guess (at least with an Olympic year coming up) that dressage is right up with the jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    With Totilas selling for how many million dollars, I'd guess (at least with an Olympic year coming up) that dressage is right up with the jumpers.
    LOL, that would be saying just because Secretariat is priceless all TBs ought to be expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Personally I would not use an average price as a few high dollar sales can really skew the number. I would use a median price, where 50% of the sales are lower and 50% of the sales are higher. It's a more accurate measure of price stability.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Um, reining joins the olympics as of 2012 according to
    what I am reading in results from a Google search.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Robin@DHH View Post
    Um, reining joins the olympics as of 2012 according to
    what I am reading in results from a Google search.
    Since it has not previously been an Olympic Sport or had a "try out" as an Olympic sport, I would imagine from what you just posted that it will be part of the 2012 Olympics as a DEMONSTRATION sport. That means it may or may not become an Olympic regular after 2012. Since the IOC is constantly trying to cut back Equestrian sports in the Olympics (expensive to stage), if Reining does become a part of the Olympics, it may mean bye-bye to Show Jumping or Eventing, events more expensive to stage, or vaulting (probably less interest). On the other hand, many, many more countries can field Show Jumping teams (probably the most heavily contested event) and eventers than reiners, so who knows? While is is not the "traditional" equestrian sport, I have nothing against reining, just was commenting that it's a WEG sport at present.

Now, I like vaulting, too, and I have never figured out why it isn't more popular with the "general public." I mean, they absolutely ADORE the little gymnasts, so cute girls (and guys) in leotards on HORSES!!! What's not to like? LOL

But (tongue in cheek) reining is NOT AT THIS MOMENT (12-30-11) an Olympic sport. ROFLOL

Last edited by smokygirl; Jan. 2, 2012 at 01:43 AM.
    "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

I have a hard time believing there's more money in reiners than in show jumping world wide. How many $500,000 or more purses does reining give out each year?

I believe reining was done as demonstration in the 2008 Olympics.

Even if it was done as a demonstration in 2008, it's not on the 2012 roster as a medal sport, thus is not currently an Olympic sport.

There has been an ongoing effort to put it in 2012. Even so, the tone of the thread suggest that there would be some reason to exclude reining from this debate.

Which begs to ask, is COTH ever going to get a WESTERN forum?